Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forums. Apologies to start if this has already been covered. I did try searching but couldn't find anything.

Looking at buying a used GTE with up to 30k miles on it (looking at one at the moment with around 15k, 2016 registration). Test drove one yesterday and think I fell in love! Wasn't a long drive but being a) a petrol head and b) quite techy, I love the idea of silent electric driving followed by 200bhp bursts! (The test car had 65k on it so, despite loads of extras, I'm not touching it).

Wondering what I should watch out for when buying and once I had the car, if I should test for anything. Being 2016 it'll probably be out of warranty but I plan on buying a extended warranty through Arnold Clark or another warranty offerer. Also, the car will be PCP so I have the protection of the finance. It will be a VW dealer but up here they are all Arnold Clark. So really just looking for any pointers.

I must say I am worried about the fact its brand new technology and it's second hand, but then despite some issues I read about online, they seem to have a high reliability score. I am aware people are much more likely to post about negatives than positives.

Thanks all,

Alexandros.

EDIT: I'll add, I plan on keeping the battery charged using the supplied 3 in as I have sockets in my garage. However, I read this has risks, though not sure if I misunderstood. The slower charge time of the 'granny charger' doesn't bother me as I will be doing it over night. Eventually I may get a proper charger but currently in the process of selling the house so don't want to invest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If 2016 might still be in warranty

Get the VW warranty extension £2-300 but must have a full service history (easier if VW!)

See it charging and you are happy with emode/hybrid etc

They are great cars

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
Plenty of good stuff covered in this thread recently.

Buying a used GTE soon - anything to look out for?

My own GTE has nearly 75k on it, and still running sweet as a nut. I had a DSG gearbox oil leak fixed at 20k, and I replaced the 12v battery late last year, but that’s it apart from servicing.

I also charge mine every night/day on the 3 pin granny. I’ve not bothered installing a fixed charge point as the GTE maxes out at 3.6kw anyway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re. fitting a dedicated charge point.
If you do multiple short journeys then the "faster" charge is useful. I have a dedicated point and find it very helpful for a single car household and regular within electric range journeys.
There have been a few threads about people who have had issues with their granny chargers, but a few who only use the granny without problems. YMMV.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,585 Posts
Ye definitely extend the warranty.

I'd also pay for a dedicated tethered charge point.

I may be selling my 18 plate (currently 12k miles) GTE Advance at some point this year. 4 year factory warranty so expires March 2022..you should wait and buy that ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
3. Pitted rear discs
Bit off topic but I have been paying close attention to the rear discs and they appear to be made of a different material to the front. They always begin to rust quicker after a wash than the front, and just look different.

One for all of us to watch.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Bit off topic but I have been paying close attention to the rear discs and they appear to be made of a different material to the front. They always begin to rust quicker after a wash than the front, and just look different.

One for all of us to watch.
Not to sure if they will be made from a different material, I think its more down to the very little use they get due to the regen braking hence the very fast build up of surface rust !.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not to sure if they will be made from a different material, I think its more down to the very little use they get due to the regen braking hence the very fast build up of surface rust !.
In my experience with many Audi/VW (A3/Golf) cars, rear brakes have been a problem for donkeys years due to the lack of load on FWD cars, basically they don't get the abuse they need. Used to be the brake assembly would just seize but we're down to discs mostly nowadays. Suggest a weekly hard braking session would assist but look forward to replacing the discs on a more regular basis than the fronts.

On the main topic, Alexandros, Arnold Clark is fine, I've had no particular issues with them and the Glasgow lot I use seem to be more capable than of yore. However, don't think that finance gives you protection - it doesn't. It only passes the buck. Any trouble with the car, which is unlikely, and you still owe the money men. AC won't care. Do purchase or wangle a warranty if it's not on the car already. As mentioned most recent cars have this anyway so check first. See also if it has a service plan, this is transferable from owner to owner.
It's a great wee car, I'm loving mine.
Finally I'm based in Glasgow so if you're near here and want any more info give me a shout.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
In my experience with many Audi/VW (A3/Golf) cars, rear brakes have been a problem for donkeys years due to the lack of load on FWD cars, basically they don't get the abuse they need. Used to be the brake assembly would just seize but we're down to discs mostly nowadays. Suggest a weekly hard braking session would assist but look forward to replacing the discs on a more regular basis than the fronts.
I totally agree !.
The rust has always been an issue on the rear disc's, add the assistance of the regen on GTE and that gives the rear brakes even less to do !.
The models with the manual handbrake had the added advantage of being able to have the handbrake applied very gently when travelling on a non busy road. Doing this once a week would keep the rear disc's clean and free from rust build up.
I would not suggest trying this with the electric hand brake :eek: !.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I wouldn't own this car out of warranty. I've had to have my 12V battery fuse changed and the high voltage battery is being replaced right now (which has taken over a month to resolve, but they have supplied courtesy vehicles.)

VW customer service has been decent but this would not be an option out of warranty, the battery is over £6000.

It won't apply in your case but anyone considering an 80,000+ mile GTE think twice about the battery as it is warrantied until 100k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello to all,

Thanks so much for the great response and help. Had a look at the linked thread as well which had some cracking pointers!

Thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts