Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Any experiences of buying through eBay and using the PayPal Payment After Delivery (PAD) service?
Money held in escrow by Paypal, seller sends me car, I have 7 days to try it out before accepting or rejecting. Paypal then either sends money on to seller or returns to me with car being sent back to seller (at their expense).
All seems too good to be true - is it?
Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts

Not escrow at all, it seems to me - just two weeks of free credit. The seller gets paid immediately. The 'try it out' bit is between you and the seller, and quite separate.

Danger, Will Robinson.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
A lot depends on whether you are buying from a trader, in which case distance selling raises its head, or a private individual.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Paypal is very unreliable as a form of payment. Once you've sent money off that way, good luck ever getting it back. Most likely the guy is in an internet cafe in Lagos, Nigeria and just downloaded a few car photos off the internet.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've had generally good experiences with ebay, until recently. I've now found that there are a large number of sellers, with high ratings, who are sharks. Twice I've bought stuff and either received the wrong part* or received them damaged. The seller than engages in this 'please accept £1 for you to keep the item'. Then £2, then £3, then £4 ... for about the next 2 weeks - anything, anything not to have to rectify the issue, culminating in the classic '"I'm happy to replace the item provided you give me a 100% positive review". Luckily, ebay eventually step in to make the refund.

* Re-ordering from a different seller got me the same incorrect part, and the same timewasting routine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Many sellers are the same people, just using different eBay accounts. Check the location in the auction, that'll give you a clue. You can also look up their trading name/address on the eBay auction, assuming it's genuine. (Apologies if I'm telling you stuff your already know.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've bought all my cars 'via' ebay. Not that I've ever bought them actually via ebay. Just used it as a signpost to either the dealers website or the private sellers details. Then paid on collection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts