Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
We bought a house in Viborg, Denmark 65 km from my workplace in Aarhus so I will have to drive at least 130 km 4-5 times a week. Average speed will be 80km/h. There is no high way. Total km per year will be 35-40k.
Today we bike or use public transport but it will not be possible after we move. My girlfriend work most of the days at home and can commute with a coworker.
After work we would only use the car for shopping or visiting family and friends, max 10 km extra. I would prefer to charge at home +95% because of the price at charging stations and we have solar roof.
We would very rarely need to go more than 250 km per day. Maybe 2-3 times a year.
Top priority is price and longevity. We would like to have the car for 5-10 years.

ZOE 40 kWh
Pro:
  • Price, cheapest one sale is 165k DKK (€22k), driven 17k km, 2 years old. Battery included in the price.
  • Larger battery: Winter range around 222 km (18,0 kWh/100km)
  • SOH around 90% after 100k km.
  • App with remote control of charging.
Con:
  • Less efficient.
  • Slow "fast" charging, 22kW. Most of the cars sold are R90, only few Q90 with faster charging in Denmark.
IONIQ 28kWh
Pro:
  • Low consumption. I have calculated that we can save around 3k DKK per year on our electricity bill.
  • CCS charging
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • More trunk space
  • Maybe it is possible to get a trailer hitch but not sure if it is legal in Denmark.
Con:
  • Range anxiety in winter. I read some online reports of around 150 km range in the winter.
  • I am not sure about the battery SOH after 100k km. This is one of my main concerns. I think that I will need at least 23kWh to get to/from work without charging at winter.
  • Price more expensive. Cheapest on sale is 175k DKK (€23,5k) that has driven 50k km, 3 years old.
  • no app
  • New IONIQ 38kWh costs 260k DKK so I think that it is a bit expensive to buy a used IONIQ 28kWh for only 85k DKK less. But on the other hand that also indicate that the value of used IONIQs is good in Denmark.
Right now we would buy the ZOE because of the price and larger battery but we are not at all sure.

What do you think is the best fit for us? Do we overlook any pro/cons?

We will get the keys to the house 15 Oct so we have some time to find a good car.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Hi. It isn't an easy choice. I like the Ioniq and the lower range wasn't an issue, but cost in UK at time (2018) made the ZE40 far better value for me. No regrets after 2 years, it has been a great car and the app works (despite what some say).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. It isn't an easy choice. I like the Ioniq and the lower range wasn't an issue, but cost in UK at time (2018) made the ZE40 far better value for me. No regrets after 2 years, it has been a great car and the app works (despite what some say).
Thanks for the input.
If my daily commute was 100 km I would more likely buy the IONIQ but the low range in winter could give me some extra long days if I have to charge on my way home.
The app is also great to have when we can charge with solar power and then turn it off after sunset.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In Germany you can fit a tow hitch to the Zoe - its the same as a Clio one. Not allowed for towing in the UK as the manufacturer hasn't certified the Zoe for towing so I don't know about Denmark.

From what i read, the Ioniq's real world range is about 190km which may be enough for you. Real world range of Ioniq EV? / https://ev-database.org/car/1057/Hyundai-IONIQ-Electric . The Zoe's battery degradation is very low - I don't know about the Ionic.

If that suits you, then as its a bit bigger it might be more comfy for your regular commute. I would suggest a test drive of both if CV19 doesn't stop that (you could test drive the latest of both models to get an idea although hopefully they wouldn't spoil you for the second hand older versions).
Ionic has limited AC charging (6.6kW) - up to you whether that is an issue (as it has fast DC charging).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was faced with the same decision a month ago, bought the Zoe largely due to price but also range. I'm sure the Hyundai is a more solid car and certainly has more toys, but I couldn't justify the price increase for some niceties and a considerable reduction in range. My journeys are also a lot of towns and the smaller size of the Zoe is just perfect, we have a larger ICE car for longer trips and where more luggage space is required. That said, the Zoe's boot is one of the biggest in it's class I believe.

Reactions: DrEskimo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Germany you can fit a tow hitch to the Zoe - its the same as a Clio one. Not allowed for towing in the UK as the manufacturer hasn't certified the Zoe for towing so I don't know about Denmark.

From what i read, the Ioniq's real world range is about 190km which may be enough for you. Real world range of Ioniq EV? / https://ev-database.org/car/1057/Hyundai-IONIQ-Electric . The Zoe's battery degradation is very low - I don't know about the Ionic.

If that suits you, then as its a bit bigger it might be more comfy for your regular commute. I would suggest a test drive of both if CV19 doesn't stop that (you could test drive the latest of both models to get an idea although hopefully they wouldn't spoil you for the second hand older versions).
Ionic has limited AC charging (6.6kW) - up to you whether that is an issue (as it has fast DC charging).
Interesting about the tow hitch. I think it would be easier to have the same regulation across Europe.

With 100% SOH Ioniq would be fine for us but I worry about degradation. I cannot find so much data of Ioniqs driven more than 50k km. But what I have found indicate low degradation. For the Zoe I have seen more data and looks very good.

We have been lucky with CV19 in Denmark. Very few cases in the last couple of months so I think that we will be able to test both cars. I may rank comfort too low as I will spend around 2h/day in the car.

I dont think AC home charging matter so much. I will always have at least 8h to charge and we have to install power in the garage so we will choose something the fit the car and future proof. That will also cost a bit since there is 20m from the house to the garage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was faced with the same decision a month ago, bought the Zoe largely due to price but also range. I'm sure the Hyundai is a more solid car and certainly has more toys, but I couldn't justify the price increase for some niceties and a considerable reduction in range. My journeys are also a lot of towns and the smaller size of the Zoe is just perfect, we have a larger ICE car for longer trips and where more luggage space is required. That said, the Zoe's boot is one of the biggest in it's class I believe.
I agree with you. The price/value of the Zoe seems better. With 40kWh we dont have to worry at all about range and degradation. The extra tech and comfort of the Ioniq is less important than price when we have a new house with some extra expenses, e.g. the garage has no power and is 20m from the house. The installment can end up costing 10-15k DKK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts