Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am been following the Tesla (UK) online used inventory for the past few weeks.
Some interesting exampes have popped up. e.g. Model S' at ~£40k.

This is cheaper than a Model 3 and with warranty. They will not have free supercharging, but nor does a M3 anyway.
Warranties are shorter in same cases (2 years), but this is fine for my plan - i.e. it'll either be reliable anyway or can part ex later for a Model Y.

What have people's experiences been buying used direct from Tesla? Both the initial purchase and then ongoing especially any fixes under warranty.

Reactions: booms and E7EV

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Buying can be a bit mixed, the best you can see is pictures of the cars before you buy and not all the cars have them. The buying experienced is very much like the new car one - it can be painfree or it can go horribly wrong. For a number of months at the beginning of the year there was an IT issue which meant they couldn't actually request final payment so no cars sold. Bonkers but now sorted.

The quality of the cars is also variable. They do little by way of cosmetics focusing on mechanicals as part of the predelivery inspection

They typically also bugger around with specs, unlimited premium connectivity and free supercharging goes where it existed before ands that previously had EAP get downgraded to just AP so parking, lane change, summon etc is taken away requiring FSD to be purchased to reinstate them.

The warranty however is fine from what I've heard, so no worries there other than the usual ones that apply to cars under the normal warranty (largely linked to battery and charge speed matters and the "within tolerance" answer they like to give). The magic numbers are 50k miles and 4 years. Anything below both of those should be sold with a 4 years50k warranty, above that its 2 years and up to 100k miles (watch out for the mileage ceiling on high mileage cars).

The trade betwen non Tesla and Tesla sales really boils down to the warranty v potentialy free supercharging and free premium connectivity depending on age, and the ability to crawl over the car at a dealer before buying, and most dealers will prep the car better than Tesla do.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying can be a bit mixed, the best you can see is pictures of the cars before you buy and not all the cars have them. The buying experienced is very much like the new car one - it can be painfree or it can go horribly wrong. For a number of months at the beginning of the year there was an IT issue which meant they couldn't actually request final payment so no cars sold. Bonkers but now sorted.

The quality of the cars is also variable. They do little by way of cosmetics focusing on mechanicals as part of the predelivery inspection

They typically also bugger around with specs, unlimited premium connectivity and free supercharging goes where it existed before ands that previously had EAP get downgraded to just AP so parking, lane change, summon etc is taken away requiring FSD to be purchased to reinstate them.

The warranty however is fine from what I've heard, so no worries there other than the usual ones that apply to cars under the normal warranty (largely linked to battery and charge speed matters and the "within tolerance" answer they like to give). The magic numbers are 50k miles and 4 years. Anything below both of those should be sold with a 4 years50k warranty, above that its 2 years and up to 100k miles (watch out for the mileage ceiling on high mileage cars).

The trade betwen non Tesla and Tesla sales really boils down to the warranty v potentialy free supercharging and free premium connectivity depending on age, and the ability to crawl over the car at a dealer before buying, and most dealers will prep the car better than Tesla do.
Thank you

It's your Tesla-Info web site that has got me signed up to the daily inventory alerts and noticing the "cheap" prices !

·
Registered
6 Posts
...the ability to crawl over the car at a dealer before buying, and most dealers will prep the car better than Tesla do.
I guess there are rare people who don't care much how their 40k+ purchase has been cared for but it baffles me why Tesla think that buying a used car unseen with little cosmetic prep is in any way acceptable.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess there are rare people who don't care much how their 40k+ purchase has been cared for but it baffles me why Tesla think that buying a used car unseen with little cosmetic prep is in any way acceptable.
The objective data point is that people do buy 'unseen' used directly from Tesla online.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I recently purchased a '16 75d from Tesla. I echo the mixed bag comment. It was an upgraded s60d but when I collected it, it hadn't yet been upgraded/ uncorked so had to sit around for a couple of hours while they did this. It seems that supercharging was free for a while though last time I plugged in I was charged for the electricity so that has gone. Haven't yet been charged for premium connectivity.
My take was (and still is) the warranty is worth much more to me than a few supercharges here and there.
Bodywork isn't perfect but it's our family car so it's going to be abused anyway!
And finally I love it and have no regrets!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently purchased a '16 75d from Tesla. I echo the mixed bag comment. It was an upgraded s60d but when I collected it, it hadn't yet been upgraded/ uncorked so had to sit around for a couple of hours while they did this. It seems that supercharging was free for a while though last time I plugged in I was charged for the electricity so that has gone. Haven't yet been charged for premium connectivity.
My take was (and still is) the warranty is worth much more to me than a few supercharges here and there.
Bodywork isn't perfect but it's our family car so it's going to be abused anyway!
And finally I love it and have no regrets!
That's useful inisght. Thank you.

Agreed on the value of the direct Tesla warranty.

One of our ideas is to do a European road trip over 3 months or so. I calculated max/worst case of mileage and if we only chargerd with SuC - will only cost less £500.
Ok, yes, so we could get a used top-of-the-range Skoda estate for £20k and just pay the fuel cost and it will still be cheaper overall. But that will not be as fun :)

[And the air suspenion is more comfortable than the Model 3 springs.]

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Currently in the process of chipping in my 85D which I bought from a EV dealer JD Cleve up in Grimsby little over 3 years ago, it was 25k at the time and now 80k. I have considered going to 3rd parties and have enquired at a few, I would happily buy from Jason again based off of pictures as the service was good and my car had 2 1/2/ warranty to give me piece of mind. I never had a single issue with getting warranty work done on the car bought from a 3rd party.

Simple fact is I would like a P100D and Tesla have the best prices for these by a country mile. That is before you add in a fresh 50k 4 year warranty (if the car is under 50k, which the one i have reserved is). It could be a ball ache (i.e. getting back the money paid) but you have the right to reject the car, so if you turn up and it isn't right for whatever reason then say no, pretty sure it is all covered under distance selling regulations.

So no free supercharging... having lived with free supercharging for three years it does not put me off, I regularly drive to Brussels and Glasgow from Reading. The costs will not be prohibitive, most of my charging is from home or work, which is free for me even if it was not, I just want to be able to charge there. Which with a 100kWh battery will be once every week or so. It is not the free nature of supercharging that makes it great, it is the fact it is free of hassles whether you are paying for the electrons or not that i like. My wife is quite rabid on this, she says unequivocally that she would not have a non Tesla EV due to fact that it would require faffing around with public charging (which we do in Scotland)

No Premium connectivity, likewise I will either pay the Tesla sub or stick in a MiFi point or connect it to my phone, as I type this I am now certain I will pay the sub! Just for the simplicity.

Will come back in a week or so and let you know how it goes, 1st person I spoke to suggested i would be going to Dartford to pick it up, explained politely that I would be going to West Drayton.

@Jon G once again Jon, big thanks for the time put into tesla-info.com I have lost count of the amount of people I have pointed at you site and also lost count of the number of hours I have whiled away on it "window shopping" albeit in a different kind of windows.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Enjoy the car - I nearly went for the red P100D thats sold a few hours ago. If WBAC hadn't been muppets with the deal on sunday I would have bought it. (they dropped the valuation by nearly 3k because of it "limited service history" - I pointed out Tesla don't require any servicing and 12 months ago it had a full service done including filters etc... but they weren't having it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yes very WBAC that, they may come back in a couple of days and bump the offer, that is what they did for me this time last year. They are actually lower than Tesla by £150 at the moment before they chip away at the price, because of all the issues they find.

There were quite a few up for a few days and the red one was very keen pricing, I ended up with the white one (166840) as the 3rd row of seats sealed it, I have them in my car and they get loads of usage with a 4 & 6 year old. As far as I am concerned a P100D with 3rd row of seats was a bit of a unicorn that I wasn't likely to see again for quite some time, with the wife saying "What 3rd row of seats, push the button!" As we really had expected to do without them, 2 older kids are 16 & 19 so probably last car I will need the flexibility for.

From memory these were something like £130K new, even with a 53% GFV it is still going to be a £65k+ payment to settle PCP, so for me I think quite a few of them will be getting handed back.

Awaiting final confirmation of the valuation of my car following pictures being submitted and then just to arrange the transfer of the money/ arrange a date. Insurance was eye watering though with the increase being £37.84 onto my current policy expiring mid November, with £15 of that being admin fee, I was somewhat surprised and asked him to repeat the number, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just put mine on Autotrader and it sold in 10 mins - too cheap me thinks or maybe I know a deal worth taking. Still, it was £1k more than WBAC and £4K more than Tesla. I suspect there will be lots coming through as people hand them back, I think a well optioned one was closer to 140k after you added bigger wheels and they’re adding FSD which is a few grand.

now.. what to buy next..

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Result, thing is that might be the only person who offers a price you are happy with, I am assuming that the amount of ads you have seen, you must have had a blinding description ;)

I am still scarred by my experience of selling privately or trying to sell my wife's very nicely spec'd XC90 (High trim level, rear seat TVs etc.) when I got the Model S. It has put me off of ever trying to sell a car privately again. From answering the phone and getting "What's you best price on the Volvo..." not even a hello. To the "There is another one down the road which is £7,500", ours was up for £11,500 it was I could do to not ask WTF you are doing wasting my time and your's F'off down there then.

Think I lasted 7 days before passing the dealer I bought it from popping in on the off chance and he agreed to buy it back for £250 more than had on Autotrader for, dropped it off the day after and cheque posted out to me day after that.

So over 3 years ago and said then never again and don't feel at all different about it today.

Back on topic, nearly :) still waiting for my confirmation of my trade in to Tesla, so if anyone wants a pre-facelift Model S with 80k, slightly worn 7 seat, Black, solid roof, coils, black next gen leather seats, power tailgate (added later as it was the one thing i missed) and charge flap (Tesla swapped it out after manual stuck, brilliant never have to get back out of the car after charging because you forget it), with active AP1 and free supercharging for life they just have to beat £29,750. In the spirit of full disclosure the passenger door handle went about a week ago, and while I have no doubt I can get Tesla to fix it, just seemed easier to trade it in for a newer one ;) No tyre kickers!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not the free nature of supercharging that makes it great, it is the fact it is free of hassles whether you are paying for the electrons or not that i like. My wife is quite rabid on this, she says unequivocally that she would not have a non Tesla EV due to fact that it would require faffing around with public charging (which we do in Scotland)
Absolutely agree. This is the only reason my wife and I are fixed on only Tesla for our long range car.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I bought a MS 70D from Tesla just before the lockdown. It was quite a saga-

Interesting that as of last night, Tesla now let you see the service history in the app (not yet updated the blog to reflect this). I never got any history, or even invoices for warranty work before this. Whether it has service data from previous owners isn't yet clear to me.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I bought a MS 70D from Tesla just before the lockdown. It was quite a saga-

Interesting that as of last night, Tesla now let you see the service history in the app (not yet updated the blog to reflect this). I never got any history, or even invoices for warranty work before this. Whether it has service data from previous owners isn't yet clear to me.
Sigh... nearly a month, there goes my thought of getting the car sometime next week! To be fair the failure could just have easily been on a new car, and in some respects if that were the case may actually be more disappointing (well it would be for me).

Enjoyed the read

Where do you see the service data in the APP? Service is there in mine but that is for scheduling only, cannot find any history, which i know mine has!

Edit: since writing this i have just received a Text scheduling delivery for 29/6, however they have ignored my choice of West Drayton and say it will be Dartford, not a great start!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OK, back on topic (for me),

Got the mail earlier today, confirming my trade in which I have accepted, they did not move on the price which is nice.

I have had a call from them already and they have fixed the pick up location to West Drayton, same date but different time due to availability.

Explained what is happening with private plate and that is OK, i.e. I am driving it in and removing it using the online service. (explained it is down to them to put the original plate back on the car). I cannot get new plates made up now and see no reason why I have to pay £15 to my insurance to simplify their handling of my old car.

Have final invoice amount date to pay by and they are sending pictures and video of the car through today or tomorrow latest.

So, my experience so far has been quite joined up and as I had hoped for, the delivery location was odd issue (I had selected in completing my order, but fixed in real time while i was on the phone, refreshed the page and the details were there.

Just hope the car lives up to the renders now!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
@ohit1 hopefully not considered thread hijacking but given I am in the midst of the process you asked about thought the updates might be useful, let me know if you would rather I buggered off and created another thread. For the avoidance of doubt that means I won't bother writing anything!

Got a mail yesterday saying I needed to get the V5 returned to the original registration prior to pick up/trade in. Call Tesla, Sevice person phone says drop into Halfords, pointed out they don't fit the carrier... If you don't know Tesla us a one piece Aluminum plate printed and laminated. Service team 0 points

I checked with delivery scheduler and asked, can you do them at West Drayton, delivery person yes, I could not get through on the phone, delivery scheduler say pop in they are open. Delivery team +1

Go into West Drayton, original registration is still in their system, person said no we can't do that, we need a retention cert or V5, I explained i can complete it all on the ipad now, with all relevant docs on me, service bod has lost interest at this point and says our number plate printer is broken anyway so we can't do it. Service person says I have to do it at home and then come in for the plates, I pointed out that bit problematic as at that point the current showing registration is incorrect and I have no plates to put on, which is why I am here, because Tesla have asked me to get the original reg back on the car. Service 0 points

Asked the question if your printer is broken how do you sell new cars, pause.... the delivery people over in that building have one. Thought about begrudgingly giving the service team a point for this since they did tell me, but it was only in response to my rather admittedly sarcastic question that it was volunteered through gritted teeth so no, Service team 0 points

Spoke to the guy from deliveries, explained what I want and why, he got it 1st time understood why I could not do it at home and wandered off for 5 minutes after checking my account, carrying a shiny new set of plates bearing the original reg. Delivery team scores 1 point.

Arrive back home little later than I wanted to, with an email in my inbox that says despite selecting West Drayton as my delivery point during the purchase process and them changing the appointment to Dartford in the back end. Then the delivery person in real time while I was on the phone moving it to West Drayton. Apparently all CPO cars have to be collected form Dartford, which is irritating for me as i will drive pretty much past West Drayton to get their, what would be an hour or so becomes a day to go and get the car. Delivery team -1 loses point for that.

So out of a total interactiosn of 6 the socring is Service 0 Delivery Team + 1 out of a possible of 6 points, so not either as smooth or simple as I would like so far.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ohit1 hopefully not considered thread hijacking but given I am in the midst of the process you asked about thought the updates might be useful, let me know if you would rather I buggered off and created another thread. For the avoidance of doubt that means I won't bother writing anything!
No issue at all. I don't believe thread creators are the owners.
This is great that you are sharing your experience. I am grateful and I think it will help others now and in future web searches.
Thank you!

Arrive back home little later than I wanted to, with an email in my inbox that says despite selecting West Drayton as my delivery point during the purchase process and them changing the appointment to Dartford in the back end. Then the delivery person in real time while I was on the phone moving it to West Drayton. Apparently all CPO cars have to be collected form Dartford, which is irritating for me as i will drive pretty much past West Drayton to get their, what would be an hour or so becomes a day to go and get the car. Delivery team -1 loses point for that.
This is useful info if I go down the CPO purchase route as Dartford is down the road from us.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Forgot to mention the sent me a link with the pictures and video of the car. Think they are using BCA, IIRC there was an announcement about this, for this “re-marketing” service as the they are identical setups the auction layouts and the size guides place in photos are branded BCA.

360 video inside and out any defects noted and photographed with a size scale and described.

Car looks clean with a couple of minor minor marks noted on the exterior and four items on the interior, all of which are minor.While I do enjoy having a nice car it functions as I need it to, so I expect it to pick up a few more while I have it. Not long after I got mine I turned up to pick up some pallets for a project I was doing, you can fit 8 or 9 in Model S depending on how they are arranged, much to the anguish of the guy I was picking them up from,

Video / photos here:http://tesla.aos.tv/T88LAO

Tan would not have been top of my list for interior colour but the flip up rear seats trumps that.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They're increasingly adding the pictures now to the CPO listings which is something they've done in the US for a while so you can now see before you buy in some cases. The video is a noce extra touch though.

But it looks somebody accidently unplugged the UK database as all the cars, new and used, disappeared at the same time about an hour ago.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts