Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
That used to be one our network engineers favourite tricks to track an unlabelled port/cable, he would unplug it and see who either phoned up to say their computer wasn't working or mailed us to say their phone had gone dead.

That would however suggest that there is some logic being the DB going down i.e. it was a positive intention on someone's part, which I very much doubt.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Have to list these to make sure they are correct:
Order placed selected West Drayton, excellent handy for me.
Ordered confirmed as Dartford, not so handy.
Called and changed with no issues on phone speaking, to actual person and all updated in real time, location for collection in account updated to West Drayton, time 10:30am
Mail followed next day explaining would have to be Dartford all CPO now Dartford.
Mailed back asking for mid afternoon time slot and account page to be updated with correct location (still showing West Drayton)
Mail received today for 2:30pm still however @ West Drayton (from the 4:30pm originally, didn't fancy round M25 at 5-6:30pm, or getting there for 10:30 in the morning, call me a spoilsport)
Further mail sent asking specifically to confirm time and place as final, as I would like to turn up to the correct location at the correct time with the important consideration of the car I am collecting also being there...

Of which at this point I am in no way confident... but hey ho it is only Tuesday!

However DVLA pulled personalised registration from the car Friday using online system and new V5 turned up today so that bit works, so trade in all good, and door handle has started working again!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I now have confirmation from Tesla of location, they helpfully ( ;) ) sent me a text message of the registration, which was already in the pictures & Video. So off to Dartford Monday hopefully to pick up a car.

Was quoted £37 to change insurance, tried to do it online with LV and it crapped out with a problem then told me to phone them, did this and likely because they saw I had attempted to make the change with all the details retained, i think because of the issue they have not charged any admin fee.

So cost increase for 6 months remaining on my policy for going from 85D to P100D was very reasonable £11.36.

So far it has been a bit push pull but for the most part a relatively painless procedure to date, I pushed the button on the 15th June and will pick up the car on the 29th.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OK, so for my 2:30pm collection I got a call at 12:08 today explaining that in the inspection they have have an issue with the power steering which needs fixed. Explained that it isn't acceptable to call 2 hours before collection since they have had since the 15th to check the car out. I get that issues can arise and that is outwith their control but it is not the power steering that is the problem, but how and when they choose to communicate it.

Most annoying thing is that they have only called to tell me it is off, another 10 minutes and I would have been on my way. There was no idea of what the issue was other than a vague "power steering" or indeed what the likely time for resolution is, and they hadn't thought that in itself might be helpful to me, the purchaser of the car.

Outlined how annoyed I am (my understatement of the year so far) at the lateness of this, without even a suggested date to aim for, having taken a day of work and now I have to get back onto LV to change my insurance back.

First world problems and all that but something which should be actually pretty straightforward and actually generate some excitement becomes a disgruntled customer ranting on the internet. Truly the full range of the Tesla buying experience all in two weeks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Very frustrating

The universal joint on the steering can sieze up making steering stiff and self centering not work properly, thats the easy issue as a squirt of something can fix, after that there are a few more serious issues.

I guess they must do something to check the car (some didn't think they even bothered with their own check list) but why they leave it until the last minute is anybodies guess. Customer service isn't a priority sadly.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
All of these I agree with entirely, however having paid a deposit on the 15th and there being quite a gap between then and the scheduled collection today calling me two hours before, suggests that the checks were rather last minute. I suppose I should be glad there have been some!

Explained I need a call back within business hours today to be able to re-arrange insurance swaps etc. and got a text at 4:59pm saying they have not been able to get any update in timing on when the car will be available to collect... They will call me tomorrow with hopefully a definitive answer.

While I am one take a look again at the pics, now i am curious as was cleaning mine out this morning and my bonnet is lined with a trim.

http://tesla.aos.tv/T88LAO

That under bonnet picture look nothing like mine? I realise it is a later car with HEPA etc. but that doesn't look like it will seal the frunk...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Don't think the frunk is rated to be watertight sealed, even though it generally works out all fine.

This is from memory when we used to rent Model S' from white.car (they went bankrupt last year).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Any update on when delivery might be or are they just chucking new inventory at anybody walking past to make half year figures and they might get back to you tomorrow?
Just because you are no longer a Tesla owner doesn't mean you HAVE to poke fun at us poor unfortunates who still are. You know when the right spec comes up at the right price you will be back in one, so be careful, karma can be cruel.

I have had one call this morning, which does not give me any update on what the problem is (I asked), neither are they able to tell me when it will get into the workshop to diagnose or god forbid actually repair it. It is to tell me that they cannot tell me any of those things. I was tempted to ask them how they know it has a problem, but held my tongue. I was told that it might not even be this week, which i pointed out was not convenient to me anyway...

However they have managed to send me another stock mail saying "Good news your delivery is soon", which is helpful. /s

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not raining now so went out to take this picture, substantially different as you can see, so i was a little confused by the difference.
View attachment 131835
Having seen a few other MS's I'm pretty sure the upper lining disappeared with the facelift (I'm assuming your car is pre-facelift?). IIRC the facelift bonnet was also reinforced a bit more (it was prone to crease at the front if shut hard or pushed in the wrong place) and I think they were also able to get rid of the pedestrian collision/protection explosives that pop the bonnet up on impact.

Although I prefer the look of the facelift cars, I'm still proud of my enormous pre-facelift RWD frunk, big enough to conceal a body (I haven't tried climbing in yet but that's something else to do before lockdown is lifted in Scotland :LOL:).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I suspect you're right, karma can be cruel! But to be honest I'm impressed they called you even if it was just to tell you what they did. Nobody likes making calls like that.
My wife commented the day before when listening to my call with them, "Well that was uncomfortable". So I was not surprised to only get a text at the end of yesterday to say no update. I had hoped for more info today however I had not worked myself up to expecting it. My wife also asked me about 9:30 yesterday morning are you excited, to which my answer was "No actually nervous" as given all the nonsense around collection so far I was wondering if it would actually go ahead. My take on that is I have had enough exposure to how Tesla work to have a healthy scepticism. Is that good or bad, who knows, I have not set myself silly expectations that's for sure.

If I was really bothered by it, ie. .we were on our way on a euro roadtrip in a few days it would be a pain, fact is I have a Tesla outside the door, clearly at this point we are not going anywhere. They have been a bit sh!t so far but the fact is I want the car, it is a bit of a unicorn spec. All the ads I have seen which say every possible extra always get me raising an eyebrow, when i see there is no rear facing seats! You will know better than me how often a P100D with rear facing seats comes up, my guess is not very often! So i won't be cancelling just yet :)

@cezdoc Yes RWD get a complimentary microwave sized slot in the frunk! It is a 2015 85D pre facelift, don't tend to use the frunk much as keep the cables in the boot as easier to get in and out for charging. It's a good shout to do away with all of that as can only wonder at the unnecessary weight it adds. I thought however the the pedestrian bonnet explosive thingies were part of the essential bits for the EURO NCAP rating though, or did pedestrian safety get dropped along with liner?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You might also be pleased that most of the price changes today have been upwards except for cars with the old mobileye system

I presume you've paid the balance for the car so while you have you still have your old one, you might want to start suggesting some compensation - have a look at the online shop and see if you fancy a mug or t-short if you don't want to push too hard, but it is flat wrong if they happily took payment and then said sorry gov, you can't have the car for an undesclosed period of time..

·
Registered
453 Posts
@cezdoc Yes RWD get a complimentary microwave sized slot in the frunk! It is a 2015 85D pre facelift, don't tend to use the frunk much as keep the cables in the boot as easier to get in and out for charging. It's a good shout to do away with all of that as can only wonder at the unnecessary weight it adds. I thought however the the pedestrian bonnet explosive thingies were part of the essential bits for the EURO NCAP rating though, or did pedestrian safety get dropped along with liner?
I wasn't sure if I remembered correctly but I saved a copy of the pre-facelift user guide from early 2016 and comparing it with a newer one I see that the section on Active Hood (it is after Vehicle Hold and before Trip Information) has been removed. I have a vague recollection that the shape of the facelift nose and bonnet (and possibly crumple zone design changes?) made enough of a difference that bonnet impact actuator things were no longer necessary.

Good luck with the new purchase, it's so frustrating that Tesla have apparently done the hard bit (engineer some amazing cars and apparently sell them at a profit) and then fall down on the stuff that on the face of it should be much easier to fix (communications, process, customer relations). At least you've been around long enough not to be surprised by all this!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I now have a date, delivery called yesterday, it is a "power steering fault" nothing more definitive that that, parts have been ordered and due in from Tilburg 7-10 days, I have been booked for collection on the 13th July (auspicious date, nothing to go wrong there then)

@cezdoc agree entirely, previous car was 528i and Maidenhead BMW were a very attentive and helpful dealership pretty much all the time. However across the same period that car cost me more than the Tesla... looking at depreciation on its own never mind running costs. With the Tesla being by far, the nicer car to have spent long periods of time in.

@Jon G I have made my feeling very clear in respect of compensation, due to the late nature of the call and now having to take another day off work to sort out collection. I believe I have a T-shirt already as when I go into the system one pops up in the recent orders and then disappears! I am however angling for something significantly more substantive than a mug, delivery person understands entirely where i am coming from and is escalating it. Whether that results in anything we will see, I can still cancel but that is just is not particularly beneficial in respect of obtaining the car i want! Good new about prices so my cunning plan of cancelling and being able to buy the same car for £3,000 less in a month is unlikely to work on that basis!

I will take a punt on see if they will agree to a CCS kit applied to the car, as there is little real cost for them in this, but significant utility for me :) It terms of outcomes, I will still have been place in a poor customer service situation, but as is always the case in these things it is how far they go to recognise and sort them out which is the bit we are left with.

I have a sales team in my reporting line, we used to have some products which were problematic with regards to stock, we insisted the team go to see customers to have the conversation and talk about what they would do and keep them informed on timings. Competitor had similar issues, but when it happened to them their reps were nowhere to be seen and didn't answer calls. So when it came to signing up for deals etc. customers called us 1st since they new we would be there good or bad. As always in this stuff it isn't the issue that creates a problem, it is how it is handled.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As always in this stuff it isn't the issue that creates a problem, it is how it is handled.
Couldn't agree more. It's entirely possible to have a customer happier after a complaint than before, if you get what I mean. Unfortunately I'm not sure Tesla have learnt the lesson, and might not whilst the competition remains largely non existent.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts