Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently considering my EV buying options as it looks like I will have to reject my ID.3 for a refund shortly (software problems). I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with the new Citroen e-C4, but I'm also tempted to hold on a bit to see what else comes out over the next year or so...

Of course, I will need a car in the meantime so my thoughts have turned to the Ioniq 28. The theory would be that if I bought one that was 2-3 years old, it will have already done a certain amount of depreciating so if I then sold it on a year or two from now, I may only lose a few thousand more in additional depreciation over that time.

Looking around, within my price range (£15-£17k) I could get 2018-2019 examples if they're relatively high mileage, or lower mileage 2017s. My thinking is that I should get the newer ones in order to benefit from 2-3 years of remaining warranty and not pay too much consideration to mileage unless it's crazy high mileage, but what do others think?

For example, 2017 with 5000 miles Vs 2019 with 25,000 miles for the same price. What would you buy if you were intending to sell on again in 2 years?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
I'm currently considering my EV buying options as it looks like I will have to reject my ID.3 for a refund shortly (software problems). I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with the new Citroen e-C4, but I'm also tempted to hold on a bit to see what else comes out over the next year or so...

Of course, I will need a car in the meantime so my thoughts have turned to the Ioniq 28. The theory would be that if I bought one that was 2-3 years old, it will have already done a certain amount of depreciating so if I then sold it on a year or two from now, I may only use a few thousand more in additional depreciation over that time.

Looking around, within my price range (£15-£17k) I could get 2018-2019 examples if they're relatively high mileage, or lower mileage 2017s. My thinking is that I should get the newer ones in order to benefit from 2-3 years of remaining warranty and not pay too much consideration to mileage unless it's crazy high mileage, but what do others think?

For example, 2017 with 5000 miles Vs 2019 with 25,000 miles for the same price. What would you buy if you were intending to sell on again in 2 years?
How many miles do you do each year, in normal times obviously?

I’d be tempted by the newer car at those mileages, 25,000 isn’t much is it really. If you’re an average mileage driver at 10k per year, selling it on again at 4 years old and 45k miles sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles do you do each year, in normal times obviously?

I’d be tempted by the newer car at those mileages, 25,000 isn’t much is it really. If you’re an average mileage driver at 10k per year, selling it on again at 4 years old and 45k miles sounds good to me.
I agree, 10k is about right for me probably. I might have been more tempted by the older one with most cars, but with the 5 year Hyundai warranty, I think working it so that I stay under warranty for the whole likely ownership period is worth doing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Are you now keeping the ID.3? Looking at the other threads it appears you are? You've had quite a rollercoaster ride from trading in your EGolf early for the ID.3 - weren't you considering the ioniq38 around 6 months ago?

Otherwise I'm noticing a fair few cars appearing on the classifieds section. Theres an i3BEV which is close to private price on the autotrader valuer.

I don't expect you'd consider a Leaf30?;).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you now keeping the ID.3? Looking at the other threads it appears you are? You've had quite a rollercoaster ride from trading in your EGolf early for the ID.3 - weren't you considering the ioniq38 around 6 months ago?

Otherwise I'm noticing a fair few cars appearing on the classifieds section. Theres an i3BEV which is close to private price on the autotrader valuer.

I don't expect you'd consider a Leaf30?;).
Haha... yes, I think so. Maybe false alarm on the Ioniq buying, sorry!

On the other hand, my ID.3 isn't 100% out of the woods yet, so I may be back... we'll see!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts