Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post. Done the deed, bought a Leaf, collecting Saturday.

I find what I have just been told absolutely shocking (pardon the pun).

I enquired about charging cables as I only saw one bag - told I have to buy the non-EVSE cable. I thought a new car came with both cables, so as far as I am concerned I should get both.

Ex RCI car on 0% purchase - I bet of the original lessee didn't return it they would have got charged!

Anyone else only get one cable when buying used?

If you are reading Chris, seriously not impressed.

Alan..

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
I thought standard charging (3.3Kw) Leaf only came with 13A EVSE? Did that change?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The 2016+ models with the new Nissan Connect EV telematics have two cables as standard when new.

All previous 3.3kW models as standard got the 3 pin EVSE and bag.

The 6.6kW models dependant on age can get a little complicated as to what came with them. The early 2013-2014 6.6kW models were only supplied with the Type2 - Type 1 cable in Lieu of the 3 pin EVSE, this was a £850 upgrade cost. From Q4 of 2014 the 6.6kW upgrade cost was increased to £1150, the additional £300 was to represent the trade cost of the 3 pin EVSE, and both cables were supplied. The early models were supplied with two Nissan bags but then the T2-T1 cable was supplied in a brown packaging box only.

If a person purchased their T2-T1 cable then that is theirs to do as they wish and it is wise to check all second hand cars before agreeing to buy what exactly is supplied and if possible see sight of those items. It's well known in the car trade that items are taken from one car for another just to satisfy the current sale.

·
Registered
902 Posts
As far as I'm aware the 3.3kW only started coming with both around Q4 of 2016.

The type 2 to type 1 is a lot cheaper and more available than the EVSE brick so if you're only getting one then better if it's the brick, which is a bit perverse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 30kw w/ 6.5kw charger. Came with only 1 cable (granny plug in) and no bag. Was just about to email the dealership, but reading this thread I think maybe that is now standard ? TBH it isnt a major issue. Any charger that I am likely to use will most likely have a tethered cable. The only place where this might have been a problem at one time was at Waitrose, but now that you need a Polar subscription to charge there.......

·
Registered
450 Posts
A used car will come with what it comes with, Its no good comparing to new. You could buy a used ICE and the alloy wheels may have been changed, but thats how it comes now.

When I purchased my used 64 plate Leaf it only had the 'brick', I walked because they said they couldn't throw in a 2 to 1 cable... Took them all of 10 minutes to call me back.

It sounds like something that has come to light after you have bought the car. Try telling them that the car is not suitable for you, as you would need a cable for charging when out and about and you were under the impression that they came with both of the cables (unless they specifically told you it didnt before purchase). For the sake of £100, I'm sure they'll find one for you...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just buy a cable if you need one, your car would not have come with one as standard. If you wanted one with the car then the time to negotiate having the extra charge cable would be before you agreed the deal. I don't see the point in not being impressed by the seller, after all its Nissan that supplied the cars without the cable not the seller. Just buy the cable if you need it and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My previous leaf was new March 2015 and my dealer told me that it would come with the type 2 / type 1 only because I ordered 6.6 otherwise would just be the granny cable.

·
Super Moderator
11,435 Posts
I used my Type-2 lead today.

We Never had a 3-pin EVSE for our 2014 LEAF. The car didn't come with one and I didn't buy one.

The granny cable that came with our 30kWh LEAF is still in the box. I keep in the loft. It will probaby still be in the box when we hand the car back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
They will probably stop dishing out granny cables with the next model - its hardly going to look good when the charge time is measured in days.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I suspect a lot of us bought a type 2 cable at the same time as buying a Leaf, only to find it's hardly used! Mine has been used once in 10 months...
They will probably stop dishing out granny cables with the next model - its hardly going to look good when the charge time is measured in days.
With a socketed Type 2 charging point at home my Type 2 to Type 1 charging lead gets (almost) daily usage, as well as regularly being used at public Type 2 charging points. The granny lead spends most of its time in a bag, but was essential (combined with a 16A commando to 13A adaptor that I always carry) when I needed to beg a charge at a caravan site (from one of the caravan hook-up points) when I would otherwise have been flat-bedded on a cold wet night. While a granny lead to fully recharge a 60kWh battery might be a bit slow, the ability to give you 5 miles more range to get to that just-out-of-current-range Rapid might make it worth carrying.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I suspect a lot of us bought a type 2 cable at the same time as buying a Leaf, only to find it's hardly used! Mine has been used once in 10 months...
Our type 2 gets used about three times a week - sometimes more.
Granny lead not at all now that we have a dedicated home charger. I don't even carry it unless I'm going somewhere unfamiliar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts