Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So following a few weeks ago when my Ampera started making a loud buzzing it finally went back to the dealership (not Vx). They found it to be the engine cover was vibrating and causing a loud buzzing inside the car. I was a bit skeptical of this but when I was given the car back low and behold buzzing gone.
Until the next morning of course, this time the buzzing was a much deeper buzz and could be heard from about 35-70mph. I decided to investigate myself now. I loosened the two bolts on the ICE cover to about finger tight instead. Now the buzzing is happening from as low as 25mph, its a higher pitch again and is becomes inaudbile beyond 50mph.
So it seems I have an adjustable tuning fork underneath my bonnet.
I can't find anything related to this issue online so seems to be unique to my car! I was going to remove it entirely and see if the noise goes away but it turns out its part of the ICE intake path so removing it leaves the ICE inlet disconnected from its filter. Of course in theory if I test drive it with enough battery the ICE shouldn't fire up but I'm not sure how much I want to risk it as we know sometimes these cars have a mind of their own.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Could you try putting it under pressure by tying something stretchy from the back of the engine over the cover to the front, making sure that it will not come into contact with anything that could get hot enough to melt it?

·
Twin Amperas
46 Posts
Maybe stick some bitumen anti drumming pads to the underside of it if there is space, or some bits of Dynamat or similar with a metal foil outer face which is heat resistant.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Out of interest, does the buzzing sound happen because of the ICE vibration, or does it happen because of wind in EV mode?

Do you have recording of it? :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,154 Posts
So following a few weeks ago when my Ampera started making a loud buzzing it finally went back to the dealership (not Vx). They found it to be the engine cover was vibrating and causing a loud buzzing inside the car. I was a bit skeptical of this but when I was given the car back low and behold buzzing gone.
Until the next morning of course, this time the buzzing was a much deeper buzz and could be heard from about 35-70mph. I decided to investigate myself now. I loosened the two bolts on the ICE cover to about finger tight instead. Now the buzzing is happening from as low as 25mph, its a higher pitch again and is becomes inaudbile beyond 50mph.
So it seems I have an adjustable tuning fork underneath my bonnet.
I can't find anything related to this issue online so seems to be unique to my car! I was going to remove it entirely and see if the noise goes away but it turns out its part of the ICE intake path so removing it leaves the ICE inlet disconnected from its filter. Of course in theory if I test drive it with enough battery the ICE shouldn't fire up but I'm not sure how much I want to risk it as we know sometimes these cars have a mind of their own.
They can crack. They are part of the air induction system so are not an insignificant piece of decoration too. Maybe get a new one.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
527 Posts
I used to have this problem, and I never found out what the exact cause was, except it seemed to change for better or worse after the car had been serviced, so maybe it was very sensitive to exact positioning, sorry not much help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done some investigating, seems to dealership wrapped the two mounting pegs at the back in electrical tape... They are partially wrapped in rubber underneath the tape anyway.

They appear to slot into these two holes on the intake manifold.

Other than the rubber being pretty worn on the pegs (I have removed the tape) everything seems in reasonable condition. One thing to note are two blemishes on the bottom of the plastic but I assume this is just part of the moulding process?

IMG_20201017_112815.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts