Bye bye leaf 24

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  oak leaf 
#1 ·
New September 15
98000 miles.
100s of low battery warnings.
Over 50 turtles.
Pushed the last 20 yards twice.
1 flatbed (Nissan dealer en route put barrier in front of charger at 1pm on a Sunday)
No faults ever and never missed a beat. (Except car wings)
Driven everywhere on B and never used D (wish I could disable D and save a double click)
Brake pads worn about 5% never changed.
11 bars out of 12 left.
Used the handbrake twice (MOTs)
Still drives like new. And looks pretty much like new too.
Loved this car. Just PXd it for a 40.

If I was picky I wish.......
It had a towbar (bike rack)
It had cable storage under the bonnet (or better still a glendinning - google it)
Main beam LEDs instead of candles.
A low washer fluid warning light
Side windows that clear rain when you put them up and down.

A small niggle list on a great car.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I didn’t count.
But I did a 70 mile (each way) commute, charging in work of course.
So twice a day every working day.
I arrived in work or home with either no bars or a turtle every day.
I knew points in the journey where the charge % needed to be and either sped up or slowed down, aiming to be on absolute 0 as I arrived.
BTW the heater makes little difference to range and a lot to comfort! In winter use both heat and aircon and it doesn’t mist up which is otherwise a leaf niggle. I only ever switched it off if I was having a “squeaky bum” moment with range because of , say, a detour.

#4 · (Edited)
Respect. I play a similar game but to arrive back home with 10% (as I have no work charging currently) and clearly smaller cojones than you (which I disguise as sympathy for my owned battery).
I agree with your comments on the heating and AC but preconditioning makes a huge difference. The lack of work charging means about a 5% loss of battery if I use heating and AC on the way home which needs to be factored into the use of charge by certain points game on both halves of the journey. :rolleyes:

Reactions: MetalHead
#10 ·
Leaf spy - my plug in thingy packed up about 40000 miles ago and I didn’t replace it. To easy to obsess. Dino drivers don’t go shoving boroscopes into their engines to measure the wear all the time.
You haven't met me, have you? ;)
I have been known to use Ajax to speed up the running in off ICE in the past.

#8 ·
If your near someone who could quickly do it before its P/X'd it would be great, i think its great as a toll for checking things like battery temperature and mpkwh on a trip much easier than on the cars normal dash, but dont obsess and drool over the SoH and battery balancing much, once every few 1000 miles maybe... Reminds me i should take a grab and stick in the battery health thread...

#12 ·
Well said - and your experience with long-ish commute shows what's possible. Respect. For the two 'last 20 yard push' events - did you have enough in the battery to heat the rear window to keep your hands warm while pushing ?

My wife uses our Leaf for a short commute, and we drive around locally. Such short (5-30 mile) trips are where ICE are badly polluting - while they warm up their emissions are worse. An electric car is ready to go whenever you've got it charged, and there's no pollution difference for short or longer journeys (and, when the 'lecky is renewably produced, it's a big win). Alas, not currently scalable - but in 10+ years things will be different. They said wind would never catch on...

It's a really great car to drive - fast or slow, and with or without 'squeaky bum' :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.