Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my "new" GTE from VW Crewe, happy days. I see from the dealer key fob it's new old stock but don't care. I wasn't into the Mk.8 at all, fugly thing inside.

So it's still a Mk.7.5, same as it was before other than a reversing camera, lane assist, fancy lights and a start/stop button which definitely takes some unlearning!
Does anyone know if there has been a general software upgrade? the e-motor seems quite perky as does the adaptive cruise. ICE is much the same.
Also the infotainment screen seems just a little less sharp, though that might just be my eyes!

Looking forward to another 30k of trouble-free (and mostly petrol-free) miles.

BTW, had a shot in a Model 3 Performance last week. I'm fortunate enough to have driven some pretty lunatic machinery but that is a complete beast. I'd likely be a danger on the road, the acceleration is so addictive, and totally free of conscience. I live in hope...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly it only shows 22 miles. Not quite sure why, I've seen this referenced elsewhere in the forum though.
That said, it seems the GOM is more accurate than the last car in terms of mileage left after my 11 mile commute, i.e. 10 miles.

I have hardly done any electric miles since I got it as I was away last week, so expect to see an improvement over time as the software adjusts expectations. Or not, as the case may be!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds the same as mine then. Definitely seems accurate. If I drive it hard on just electric the next day it’s showing 18 fully charged. If I drive like an angel it’s back to 22-23.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update :

Fully charged E miles now rising, had 25 the other day - though it varies between that and 22 so here's hoping I get back a few more. It's still way more accurate and efficient than my last one, I'm ending up with more miles than before on my commute, even today with the heater on all the way.

Of much greater interest was a document lying in the car entitled "Certificate of Conformity". which tells me in para. 27.3 that my electric motor has 80kW rating.
Also that the petrol motor has 110kW (@ 5000rpm).

I note that the 7.5 GTE had 75kW and that the 8.0 has 80kW. Given that my car was actually made between 09/2019 and 11/2019 is it possible they've stuck in the newer motor?
Have I got a hybrid hybrid??

I've checked my conversion figures and 190kW comes to about 255 bhp. (107.2 (e) + 147.5 (p))
I'm aware that torque is limited, is power the same? In which case of course I'm barking up the wrong tree.

If I'm correct though, this extra few kW may explain the relative improvement in performance. It's darn quick.
Just in case it's all in my head, it would be interesting for someone on this forum to confirm my reading, or not as the case may be.
IMG_5003.JPG

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Torque and power are intimately related.

The electric motor torque peaks at zero rpm and drops off around 3000rpm if I remember correctly. This is about where the petrol engine torque begins to peak.

So the car has a roughly flat torque curve from zero rpm up to around 4500rpm. At that point the torque will begin to drop off but the power output remains high as the fall off in torque is less than the rate of climb in rpms, up to the redline.

The GTE, bar the odd downshift delay, drives pretty similar to a pure EV, even in hybrid/GTE mode, because of this flat torque behaviour.

The ultimate limit for the vehicle torque is the DSG gearbox and clutch packs within that box.

Thing to understand:
  • Torque is what makes you go (hence the "instant torque" of EVs which leads to a very nice takeoff)
  • Ability to output that torque at a high speed is what allows the car to leap from e.g. 40 to 70 mph very quickly, that is power.
You ideally want both. But most people benefit from more low down torque, than they do benefit from high power, because high power just means more speeding tickets and bother from the fuzz. ;-)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like your tail-end comment, so true.
I really am interested in the different nature of the car. It's quite different from the 2017 model I had and I wondered if VW blessed me with a run-out variant using the newer e-motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick update :

Fully charged E miles now rising, had 25 the other day - though it varies between that and 22 so here's hoping I get back a few more. It's still way more accurate and efficient than my last one, I'm ending up with more miles than before on my commute, even today with the heater on all the way.

Of much greater interest was a document lying in the car entitled "Certificate of Conformity". which tells me in para. 27.3 that my electric motor has 80kW rating.
Also that the petrol motor has 110kW (@ 5000rpm).

I note that the 7.5 GTE had 75kW and that the 8.0 has 80kW. Given that my car was actually made between 09/2019 and 11/2019 is it possible they've stuck in the newer motor?
Have I got a hybrid hybrid??

I've checked my conversion figures and 190kW comes to about 255 bhp. (107.2 (e) + 147.5 (p))
I'm aware that torque is limited, is power the same? In which case of course I'm barking up the wrong tree.

If I'm correct though, this extra few kW may explain the relative improvement in performance. It's darn quick.
Just in case it's all in my head, it would be interesting for someone on this forum to confirm my reading, or not as the case may be.
View attachment 135253
I have just checked my certificate (picked up my GTE advance yesterday) and mine says the same as yours - 80kW electric motor

·
Registered
270 Posts
Having seen the Golf MK8 & ID.3 today I will be keeping my 2 1/4 yo GTE Advance for a while longer. Don't like either. Cheaper look & materials. To get same spec as my June 2018 GTE Advance a new shape 2020 GTE would cost over £38K !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts