Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we've been using our Citroen C-Zero regularly over the past five weeks or so, but a couple of weeks ago when my partner was driving it, it lost all regenerative braking and the tortoise symbol came up on the dash. She managed to creep to safety and left it for a couple of days after which it worked again normally.

This morning the fault reappeared, you can get up to about 15mph, the '! above a car' symbol comes on and when you let your foot off the accelerator or press on the brake, there is no regenerative braking. If you try to get going after this, you are in the tortoise mode and can only crawl along with minimal power.
Switch the car off and restarting clears all faults and light until you get to about 15mph again.

There is about 43 miles of charge, so I don't think it is a lack of available power. Any suggestions of what the problem might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
You really need to get someone to read the fault codes from the car using a Lexia3/Diagbox system, without that any help you get will be speculation at best.

If I had to speculate I would say you might have either a faulty cell in the battery pack, or the LTC voltage monitoring chip in one of the CMU (cell monitoring units) in the battery pack has gone intermittently faulty, causing it to suddenly (and intermittently) think the voltage of one of the cells is very low when it really isn't.

Both faults could cause the symptoms you describe because the car will instantly go into tortoise mode, set the fault light on the dashboard and limit speed to about 10mph if any cells measured voltage dips below 3.0 volts while driving.

If you check the forum you'll find a couple of threads about the LTC chip failing - this seems to be becoming a known problem, and individual faulty cells while rare have also been reported, although they tend to get worse more gradually than a failed LTC chip which can fail very suddenly.

You could partially diagnose the problem if you had access to the free Canion app on an Android device and a suitable OBD-II adaptor (such as OBDLink LX) by looking at the individual cell voltages however you really do need something that will read fault codes to be certain.

Roughly where are you located ? There may be someone near you with the necessary diagnostic tool that could assist in getting fault codes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Check if your tyres are all pumped up - if you have a flat or one worn tyre on the back and didnt notice it causes regenerative braking to stop as the wheels arent turning at the same speed - that is a bit of a long shot but worth checking as its easy. Beyond that as stated above you need some diagnostics. These are great little cars and generally repairable.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Tyre rolling radius differences due to flat tyres, worn tyres or mismatched tyres can indeed cause regenerative braking to cut out - I’ve had it happen to me with new tyres on the rear and nearly worn out tyres on the front, however I doubt this is the cause here as it will only cause the traction control light to flicker, it won’t set the high voltage warning light nor will it limit the maximum speed of the car as described.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just think no more range/charger anxiety at ICE'd/broken/taxi'd charge points twice a day :) I'll be free to drive when and where I want to, freedom......... :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just think no more range/charger anxiety at ICE'd/broken/taxi'd charge points twice a day :) I'll be free to drive when and where I want to, freedom......... :)
Lol, we still have a petrol car, low range EVs are 2nd cars. We do take an EV on some longer journeys but only where the charging fits in and wouldnt ruin the day if we had to wait. I wouldnt want to commute relying on a charger to get to work on time, etc.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really need to get someone to read the fault codes from the car using a Lexia3/Diagbox system, without that any help you get will be speculation at best.

snip

You could partially diagnose the problem if you had access to the free Canion app on an Android device and a suitable OBD-II adaptor (such as OBDLink LX) by looking at the individual cell voltages however you really do need something that will read fault codes to be certain.

Roughly where are you located ? There may be someone near you with the necessary diagnostic tool that could assist in getting fault codes.
Simon, thank you for the suggestions, I have just mailed a local garage to see if they have the right diagnostic system.
I am based in Bideford, North Devon. The ODB-II adaptor sounds like a handy bit of kit, but if anyone I has one that I could borrow briefly, it would be much appreciated.

Check if your tyres are all pumped up - if you have a flat or one worn tyre on the back and didnt notice it causes regenerative braking to stop as the wheels arent turning at the same speed - that is a bit of a long shot but worth checking as its easy. Beyond that as stated above you need some diagnostics. These are great little cars and generally repairable.

Cheers.
I doubt that it is this in this case as it was running around with a slowly deflating rear tyre for a few weeks before a new was fitted, without causing this intermittent issue. I'll still check the tyre pressures just to make sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Simon, thank you for the suggestions, I have just mailed a local garage to see if they have the right diagnostic system.
I am based in Bideford, North Devon. The ODB-II adaptor sounds like a handy bit of kit, but if anyone I has one that I could borrow briefly, it would be much appreciated.
I could actually lend you one, I’m not local but could post it to you and then you post it back? Not worth buying one for one check.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Colin,

Just wondering, do you have to recharge twice a day then, to get to work and back?

Was just wondering if your range had diminished or if it’s just too far for the car?

Cheers

·
Registered
552 Posts
Currently in my region there is free charging so tended to avoid charging at home. I could get to work [53 mile round trip] and back on a 100% charge but as rapids only charge to ~82% I need to find another charge either rapid near work or workplace charging if I have a rare slot as so heavily used. I also need another 20 miles for the evening taxi'ing daughter to clubs. So yeah 70+ miles a day. Can' say I've noticed any degradation since I got it almost a couple of years ago.

The plan was to get a Leaf, after a four day test drive, but there were no suitable cars so snapped up the CZero.

Don't get me wrong the CZero is a great little car but public charging has worn me down for all the usual reasons so been charging more from home lately. Trouble is 3.6(?)kw is god awful slow.

A while back the plan was to change the wife's car to an EV but until EVs become more popular with better public charging for long distance we'll stick with what we have.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Currently in my region there is free charging so tended to avoid charging at home. I could get to work [53 mile round trip] and back on a 100% charge but as rapids only charge to ~82% I need to find another charge either rapid near work or workplace charging if I have a rare slot as so heavily used. I also need another 20 miles for the evening taxi'ing daughter to clubs. So yeah 70+ miles a day. Can' say I've noticed any degradation since I got it almost a couple of years ago.

The plan was to get a Leaf, after a four day test drive, but there were no suitable cars so snapped up the CZero.

Don't get me wrong the CZero is a great little car but public charging has worn me down for all the usual reasons so been charging more from home lately. Trouble is 3.6(?)kw is god awful slow.

A while back the plan was to change the wife's car to an EV but until EVs become more popular with better public charging for long distance we'll stick with what we have.
Ah ok, home charging will be 2.4kw but it does stop/start a bit during charging so its an overnight job really. I have a Zoe 22kwh, that does 80 miles of mixed town/fast roads which is a nice distance, and 3-4 hour charge from flat on the home charge point (pod point). Had an i-miev before and got the Zoe as an upgrade, it'll charge 2% per minute on a rapid charger as well so pretty quick. I do fancy an e-Golf (35kw) or a 30kwh Leaf tho, would be nice to get 100+ mile range...

Ah well, if you get fed up enough that you want to sell it let me know !!

Cheers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah ok, home charging will be 2.4kw but it does stop/start a bit during charging so its an overnight job really. I have a Zoe 22kwh, that does 80 miles of mixed town/fast roads which is a nice distance, and 3-4 hour charge from flat on the home charge point (pod point). Had an i-miev before and got the Zoe as an upgrade, it'll charge 2% per minute on a rapid charger as well so pretty quick. I do fancy an e-Golf (35kw) or a 30kwh Leaf tho, would be nice to get 100+ mile range...

Ah well, if you get fed up enough that you want to sell it let me know !!

Cheers.
Had the 48hr Golf EV test drive and the Leaf 30 Tekna 4 day test drive. Which is better, probably the Leaf as it was half the price, lol. I just could see what the Golf added for the big jump in price. Both are nice to drive and tick all my boxes.

Zoe 22 would be a great car for me as there are more 22kw chargers around than pain the @res rapids so very flexible. Every time I look never seen a battery owned one up for grabs.

Cheers

·
Registered
345 Posts
Zoe 22 would be a great car for me as there are more 22kw chargers around than pain the @res rapids so very flexible. Every time I look never seen a battery owned one up for grabs.
Haha, hmm maybe we should have a chat.... they were all battery owned before about 2016, apart from the 2013 one I have. It is a cat d, the guy who owned it before me paid a battery lease but then someone changed lanes into the passenger door and since the owner didnt actually own the battery it didnt take much to write it off. Evidently you have to pay Renault £2,500 to actually remove the leased battery and instead the insurance just paid off the battery lease and the guy for the car. He bought it back, got the door fixed and drove it. He had some issues charging it but I bought it and sorted that out (bad connection on the charge cable).

Can you drop me a PM - your profile is private so I can't message you.

And apologies to the original poster, we've gone way off track...

Cheers all.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Ah ok, home charging will be 2.4kw but it does stop/start a bit during charging so its an overnight job really.
Mine draws 13 amps on my Rolec charger, 240 x 13 = 3.12kW. It also fully charges to 100% in about 4 hours, even from as low as 20%, and that includes final balancing. After 3 hours it is usually up around 95% or so and mostly just doing balancing by then as the charge rate has tapered way down.

So if I drop my other half off in the city on a Saturday and put it on charge when I get back it's fully charged again by the time I go out again a few hours later to pick her up...

The extra speed of the a proper Level 2 charger is worth it over the supplied granny charger if you want to reuse the car the same day. It only draws 9 amps via the granny charger - 2.16kW so considerably slower there. (About 7 hours for a full charge)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Haha, hmm maybe we should have a chat.... they were all battery owned before about 2016, apart from the 2013 one I have. It is a cat d, the guy who owned it before me paid a battery lease but then someone changed lanes into the passenger door and since the owner didnt actually own the battery it didnt take much to write it off. Evidently you have to pay Renault £2,500 to actually remove the leased battery and instead the insurance just paid off the battery lease and the guy for the car. He bought it back, got the door fixed and drove it. He had some issues charging it but I bought it and sorted that out (bad connection on the charge cable).

Can you drop me a PM - your profile is private so I can't message you.

And apologies to the original poster, we've gone way off track...

Cheers all.
PH should be snorted now. Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts