Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the brake vacuum pump replaced on my C-Zero under a new recall. Looks like it affects all C-Zeros. Recall launched on 2nd Oct:

WATER MAY PENETRATE INTO THE BRAKE VACUUM PUMP CAUSING CORROSION
Recall numberR/2019/456
Recall date02-10-2020
Recall typeSafety recall

Reason for recall
Water may penetrate into the brake vacuum pump causing corrosion.
How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local CITROEN dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.
How the manufacturer will repair
Replace the brake vacuum pump.
Number of affected vehicles

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just had the brake vacuum pump replaced on my C-Zero under a new recall. Looks like it affects all C-Zeros. Recall launched on 2nd Oct:

Recall numberR/2019/456
Recall date02-10-2020
Recall typeSafety recall

Reason for recall
Water may penetrate into the brake vacuum pump causing corrosion.
How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local CITROEN dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.
How the manufacturer will repair
Replace the brake vacuum pump.
Number of affected vehicles
There is already a thread on exactly the same topic

·
Registered
955 Posts

Perhaps they shouldn't have installed it in such a hostile environment i.e. beside the rear wheel with no protection, lol!

Seriously, many of us have changed it to a different brand of vacuum pump as the previous replacement is no better.

Personally, I'd rather sort the car myself as when it was in for the passenger airbag recall they forgot to reconnect the sensor for the auto lights, four week wait to get that sorted, then they broke the USB port for the radio... sigh.

The moral of the story is to stay away from Arnold Shark, absolutely hopeless...

Cheers

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I replaced a failed brake vacuum pump on my Ion back around June myself using a different model of pump - it had suffered internal seizing and was a rusted away husk. Supposedly already replaced under the previous recall in 2015. Hah!

I've sold the car since then so I wonder what will happen if the new owner takes it in for the recall. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Peugeot workshop when they find a completely different pump with a custom made bracket. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is already a thread on exactly the same topic
I can only find threads about an earlier recall - this seems to be another recall for the same part. Looks like cars that had the pump replaced previously will have it replaced again?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I can only find threads about an earlier recall - this seems to be another recall for the same part. Looks like cars that had the pump replaced previously will have it replaced again?
Here you go.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yes - last post on there was 3 months ago. This recall has only been active for 3 weeks.

Andrew
Do you know the VIN nos or say manufactured dates that are included in the recall? Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Says it affects 262 cars. That's slightly more than were ever registered in the UK, so must affect all years.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Also the same recall on the ion - affects 513 vehicles, so all the ions too.
Too little too late for me. :confused: The pump already failed out of the blue and left me broken down several miles from home with nothing more than hand brake and regen.

In theory lack of booster vacuum should still allow you to brake with strong pedal force to come to a safe stop but having experienced it first had I would say that unless you are a body builder you aren't stopping using friction brakes. Regen and handbrake will let you come to a moderately safe stop however, so the initial part of the brake pedal travel gives you full regen (more useful at higher speed) and the handbrake works quite well at lower speed.

I would advise everyone to get their car in for this recall. An unexpectedly failing vacuum pump is no joke - I was lucky that it happened to me at 30mph on a road where I could pull over, on a motorway with no hard shoulder sudden loss of brake vacuum could have been very hairy as you wouldn't be able to slow safely for short off ramps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
After see this post this morning, I phoned up my local dealer and was surprised to find that they could fit me in tomorrow to carry out the recall. To be honest I thought they were going to tell me that they can't work on electric cars, how things are changing. There's also chance that they are going to loan me their electric DS for the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts