Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this month I'm collecting - via a 600 mile round trip - an ex demo e208 and have been absorbing every last word about its characteristics etc., etc. However, for the life of me I can't see anything to indicate whereabouts the dashboard button/lever/toggle is via which to release the rear nearside wing charging flap. Help!

[Incidentally, what a daft place to position it on the bodywork; If I'm not careful I envisage panel scuff marks ensuing in the process of connecting a public charging cable to the car's rear; true, the way to avoid that danger is to reverse towards the unit but I prefer not to do that.]

I'm now about to provably start a fierce round of rejoinders when I state that I'm not at all enamoured of the outer appearance of this car although the cabin is a most pleasing spectacle from what I've seen in photos and video shots. Back to the outside. The front grill is aggressively overlarge and ugly but I quite like the extended downward LED 'claws'. The side vista is nothing to get excited about whilst to my mind the back end is a messy mishmash. That latter observation reflects my perception of the roadside view of the car overall. It looks like it's been designed by a committee unable to decide on a coordinated architectural plan. I realise I'm literally the sole dissenter midst the myriad media commentators and private bloggers all of whom appear to wet their collective underwear in fulsome praise of its apparently 'cool' persona. Why, then, I hear you roar, am I buying one if I feel so strongly about the way the vehicle comes across to me? Fair question. The answer is that until last week I'd merely glanced at pics of the car but then I began to delve deeper and discovered a plethora of attractive performance and cabin features. On balance the sum total was more appealing than my 2020 Renault Zoe about which I opine the design is elegant and graceful from every angle. What I'll loosely call the 'cosmetic' comparison is akin to the difference between a shed and The Shard...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
There isn't one. You push on it on the RHS when the car is unlocked and it pops open. Corsa is the same.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
571 Posts
...midst the myriad media commentators and private bloggers all of whom appear to wet their collective underwear...
:LOL:

If you're not so enamoured about the exterior of the design committees choice of exterior styling, perhaps you should have looked at the Vauxhall Corsa-e which is the same car without some of the razzmatazz.

As for the release catch for the charging port... there isn't one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, fair point. I did look at the Corsa as an alternative but its looks go the other way, ie boringly bland, plus it's more expensive than its French counterpart. I concluded that the e208 wins on points as it were. As for operating the charging flap, I gather that provided the doors are unlocked you simply press the rhs of the thing and it opens. However, my understanding is that the doors automatically lock when you walk away from the car so... how does it work given that situation?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS To elevate the e208's appearance I shall get the garage to fit horizontal chrome strips towards the bottom of each of the doors, which will have the added advantage of giving the bodywork some protection gsinst that breed of person who all too frequently open t h e i r doors thoughtlessly and cause your own car to be damaged as a result. Thus I'll achieve a double purpose.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yes, fair point. I did look at the Corsa as an alternative but its looks go the other way, ie boringly bland, plus it's more expensive than its French counterpart. I concluded that the e208 wins on points as it were. As for operating the charging flap, I gather that provided the doors are unlocked you simply press the rhs of the thing and it opens. However, my understanding is that the doors automatically lock when you walk away from the car so... how does it work given that situation?
Err...you won't have walked away if you're opening the charge flap...?

Reactions: Bill N

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, silly me, go to the flap the moment the doors unlock as you approach the vehicle. (I've spoken to myself severely in the matter!)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
My Zoe would often lock and unlock when I was walking around the car.

On the Peugeot, as others say, the flap is unlocked when the doors are unlocked. For my car (but apparently for nobody else!) you need to lock it before inserting a CCS plug (but not Type 2) or it won’t mate.

I thought the positioning would be annoying - on the wrong side of the car - but I’ve got used to it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Zoe would often lock and unlock when I was walking around the car.

On the Peugeot, as others say, the flap is unlocked when the doors are unlocked. For my car (but apparently for nobody else!) you need to lock it before inserting a CCS plug (but not Type 2) or it won’t mate.

I thought the positioning would be annoying - on the wrong side of the car - but I’ve got used to it.
I'm confused by your saying that you have to lock the car before inserting the ccs plug...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I'm confused by your saying that you have to lock the car before inserting the ccs plug...
CCS seems to be a bit flakey in communicating with the car. I’ve written to pug about the complexity

potentially it’s linked to the status showing on the charge flap

I’m trying more experiments

JJ

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
So am I! Nobody else seems to have the same problem.

once it’s mated, it’s fine - can lock and unlock, open and close merrily. But CCS won’t clunk into place if it’s unlocked.
Somebody suggested it might be to do with one of the driver convenience settings, and I’ll also see if it changes once I start using the key instead of the app.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmm... sounds an annoying problem. I'll watch for hopeful news from you of resolution, if that is you find one. It's especially disconcerting to hear in my case as I have no facility for a home charging...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Mmm... sounds an annoying problem. I'll watch for hopeful news from you of resolution, if that is you find one. It's especially disconcerting to hear in my case as I have no facility for a home charging...
yeah it’s an inconvenience but clearly linked to process as the BP system yesterday wouldn’t communicate first and then tried again in the same way and it was fine

JJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that valuable feedback. With my current car, a Zoe, I invariably have trouble with BP Pulse.. It's a pain in the proverbial.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had the front window deflectors fitted and the rear sunshades. I think it enhances the car and great to drive with the windows lowered.

Never had these before, but would highly recommend them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts