Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am just wondering if others find the cabin heating identical in EV mode and using the ICE?

I use EV 99% of the time and it gets the cabin “warm” but since owning the vehicle I have never felt it get "hot" as such, I required the engine a bit this weekend and realise the cabin was “hot”, I just wondered if the cooler temperatures found when using EV mode were seen across other GTE's and that's just how it is designed to be to conserve charge before I start getting the diagnostics involved bleeding the system or looking at a replacement part.

Don't get me wrong its still warm and the pre heating clears the screen and such, but I wouldn't call it "hot"

Thanks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,646 Posts
Yes, they’re all like that, Sir...

In EV mode, heat is provided by the resistive heater, which is sized appropriately to be a balance between not drawing too much juice versus providing enough heat.

Once the engine is being used, the waste heat from that is put to good use and because there’s plenty of it, you can have as much heat as you like in the cabin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they’re all like that, Sir...

In EV mode, heat is provided by the resistive heater, which is sized appropriately to be a balance between not drawing too much juice versus providing enough heat.

Once the engine is being used, the waste heat from that is put to good use and because there’s plenty of it, you can have as much heat as you like in the cabin.
Thought that may be the case, so for those of us who use the vehicle as a pure electric car we will always have a nice "warm" car not a hot one.

I may just run a few basic settings and see if there's any bleed procedure in ODIS or Autel specific to the electric side but from what you said it doesn't sound like mine is wrong just the way it is designed to be, which I understand and appreciate why they have done it like this, it would just be nice to be able to override it when requested. I guess VW knew they were already going to get a lot of complaints about range given the drop in range using this "appropriately" sized heater, I imagine if they had stuck one in that would like the electric mode get hot the mileage returned would barley make any sense using the EV mode

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Thought that may be the case, so for those of us who use the vehicle as a pure electric car we will always have a nice "warm" car not a hot one.

I may just run a few basic settings and see if there's any bleed procedure in ODIS or Autel specific to the electric side but from what you said it doesn't sound like mine is wrong just the way it is designed to be, which I understand and appreciate why they have done it like this, it would just be nice to be able to override it when requested. I guess VW knew they were already going to get a lot of complaints about range given the drop in range using this "appropriately" sized heater, I imagine if they had stuck one in that would like the electric mode get hot the mileage returned would barley make any sense using the EV mode
I used to pre-heat mine whilst plugged in to 26c so that it was hot when I got in then either just keep the heated seat on, or select 21c on the climate and that would be plenty until I was having to use the engine anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to pre-heat mine whilst plugged in to 26c so that it was hot when I got in then either just keep the heated seat on, or select 21c on the climate and that would be plenty until I was having to use the engine anyway.
Yeah I preheat mine to max which gets the cabin warm, but on my daily commute I don't use the engine to help with the residual heat, I guess the problem is a lot of us are using GTEs like electric cars and they probably were never really designed to be used this way they are a hybrid for a reason I guess.

I will eventually move to a full electric its just waiting until a full EV I want is within my price range. I assume something like the e-Golf has a much bigger heater and will heat the cabin to "hot" as they obviously have a much better battery to play

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Yeah I preheat mine to max which gets the cabin warm, but on my daily commute I don't use the engine to help with the residual heat, I guess the problem is a lot of us are using GTEs like electric cars and they probably were never really designed to be used this way they are a hybrid for a reason I guess.

I will eventually move to a full electric its just waiting until a full EV I want is within my price range. I assume something like the e-Golf has a much bigger heater and will heat the cabin to "hot" as they obviously have a much better battery to play
Yes, my recollection was that the e-Golf had a more beefy heater, evidenced by it drawing more power from the wall when pre-heating than the GTE did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have the heated seats? They are an efficient way to get toasty warm
I do, like I say I'm not actually cold most of the time I don't really use the heaters to conserve the battery. I was just ensuring everything is correct with the vehicle especially as I only have 3months left on warranty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, my recollection was that the e-Golf had a more beefy heater, evidenced by it drawing more power from the wall when pre-heating than the GTE did.
I'm not sure my e-Golf has a more beefy heater than our previous GTE - takes absolutely ages to heat up! So I generally sit there in freezing temperatures with a big coat and scarf and the heating off to conserve range! Seriously considering looking into retro-fitting a heat pump...

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
I'm not sure my e-Golf has a more beefy heater than our previous GTE - takes absolutely ages to heat up! So I generally sit there in freezing temperatures with a big coat and scarf and the heating off to conserve range! Seriously considering looking into retro-fitting a heat pump...
Yeah, you could be right, maybe because there’s no ICE fired heater to compare to in the same car.

I think a retrofit heat pump would be very involved and costly, probably cheaper to trade the car for one with a heat pump I’d have thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, you could be right, maybe because there’s no ICE fired heater to compare to in the same car.

I think a retrofit heat pump would be very involved and costly, probably cheaper to trade the car for one with a heat pump I’d have thought.
You're probably right, but the car is now like family, so unlikely to trade in (a pair of snow boots and a warmer coat for Christmas should fix it!)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've had no such issue. On EV only mode, the cabin can get just as toasty as in hybrid mode. Of course, having the temperature set to, say, HI, is quite draining on the battery pack.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Mine (2018) belts some heat out on EV only, it definitely heats the car up faster than my old ICE car did too.
Yeah - The heater in an EV is much to faster to react that an ICE car.
A bit like an electric fire in some respects, quick to warm up, but quick to cool down when it is turned off !.
The GTE had a clever system where it would use heat provided by the electric resistor heater first, then as the ICE warmed up the coolant, it would allow a valve to open and allow hot water from the system to provide heat to the cabin.
Therefore reducing the demand for the HV battery to provide heat from the electric heater and help preserve some range.
So in affect the GTE had two heaters really.
Brilliant bit of engineering.
The electric heaters and great, they just demand a lot of juice from the HV battery to get the cabin up to temperature at first.
I think the GTE combined heater has the edge over the e.Golf’s heater for this very reason.
A good heater in a car is an absolute must in my opinion.
Your enjoyment of driving in cold weather can be spoilt if you don’t feel “toasty” and relaxed.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,906 Posts
So if you are going on a trip that's longer than your EV range perhaps you should use the ICE towards the beginning of the journey to create a heat reserve that you can use on the rest of the journey. :unsure: Otherwise if you use the ICE at the end a lot of the heat is wasted after the journey is complete.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So if you are going on a trip that's longer than your EV range perhaps you should use the ICE towards the beginning of the journey to create a heat reserve that you can use on the rest of the journey. :unsure: Otherwise if you use the ICE at the end a lot of the heat is wasted after the journey is complete.
This is true but not very helpful for those of us using the GTE as an EV never starting the ICE

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree - Preheat the car when it is still plugged into the wall box is you friends range protector !.
Yeah I do this every morning its a great thing, it however doesn't get hot hot it just gets nice and warm even plugged in, don't get me wrong it a nice warm comfortable place to be but its not hot like how my wife seems to think the heating in the entire house should be 24/7!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yeah I do this every morning its a great thing, it however doesn't get hot hot it just gets nice and warm even plugged in, don't get me wrong it a nice warm comfortable place to be but its not hot like how my wife seems to think the heating in the entire house should be 24/7!
Do you have the heat setting turned up ?.
When heating the car from the HV battery, it gets toasty inside.
Can’t vouch for when it’s plugged into the wall box though ?.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts
Do you have the heat setting turned up ?.
When heating the car from the HV battery, it gets toasty inside.
Can’t vouch for when it’s plugged into the wall box though ?.
My understanding is, heating with 3pin plug (10A) doesn't quite cut it. 16Amp = toasty..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts