Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya. Quick question. I should get my leaf within a week. Just wondering how long the length of the home charging cable is. Its less than 3 metres from plug to front of car, but when I visit my Brothers, his socket is at the back of a motorbike packed garage. Extension leads seem inadvisable, and an official extender expensive. Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
215 Posts
are you going to use your granny charger or the wall box? i would only use the granny charger in an emergency/on holiday as they are so slow and do get hot

There were a lot of posts on here a few years ago about very good qualitity extension leads from DIY stores if i remember correctly

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
The problem with extension leads is that the plug on the EVSE has a temperature sensor in it for safety. It's supposed to sense the temperature of the wall socket in case it is poorly wired. If you put an extension lead in there it's now sensing the temperature of the extension lead only.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I read that. That’s why I need the cable length so I can weigh up if it’s worth buying a genuine Leaf type 2 to 2 extension. Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
Ioniq
676 Posts
Both granny chargers I have used have been 5m in length. That said, given that it's difficult to completely straighten the very thick cable, the height of the sockets at each end and that the EVSE itself should really be somewhere stable like the floor, the car probably has to be a fair bit nearer to the socket than that.

I don't see much of a problem with using an extension lead in occasional circumstances like this as long as it's a decent quality, sufficiently rated lead and you keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it’s 5m that should reach fine at my Brothers, 3m Probably wouldn’t. I’m waiting till I actually get the car before ordering a wall charger.....just in case! A Zappi looks ideal for me,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.....mind you, there’s an Enginie rapid less than a mile from my house, so I can’t wait to try that. Can’t wait full stop!!!

·
State of the art 1958 and 2017
101 Posts
I connected a 15 metre cable to my 5 meter EV granny cable and have experienced no problems. The 13am socket fitted is a weather proof external one and the 15 metre extension cable is heavy duty. I just make sure the all the cables are not coiled so no heat problems. At our rented cottage in Scotland (March 2020) I had the extension cable plugged in the house kitchen then run back and forth to the car in lines so as to avoid heat build up. No probs at all!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry a 5m extension lead that has got me out of trouble a couple of times. Of course I wouldn’t recommend it but I haven’t experienced a problem.

Better than when I charged at a residential training centre. They asked me to park next to an outside lighting distribution box and then presented me with a 25m cable reel to reach between the inside of the box and just outside. I had to explain why a coiled cable carrying 10A for 12 hours was a bad idea!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts