Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked out my window and saw 4 local 'nice guys ' having a good look at my car on charge.
I could be being overly suspicious and they could have been looking at the strange ev. But as i went outside they dissappeard fast.

My charge point can be clearly seen from my gate (picture taken from street). 
Apart from the Nissan ' lock to car' (which looks like I could unhook it with a spoon). Its there anyway of securing cable to either house or car?
Anyone with pictures of things they have done would be appreciated.
IMG_20170403_192618.JPG

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I know it's too late for you but that's exactly the reason why I installed my charger just inside my garage door, channelled the cable under the door post and disguised the tethered charger cable and holster behind a simple hinged UPVC cover.

When the car's not on the driveway, you'd hardly notice the charger was present. When the car is charging, even if you could overcome the car cable lock, you'd have no idea what it's attached to inside or indeed if it's powered up.

This latter point should be sufficient to dissuade some idiot from cutting, pulling or otherwise messing with it :mad:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's too late for you but that's exactly the reason why I installed my charger just inside my garage door, channelled the cable under the door post and disguised the tethered charger cable and holster behind a simple hinged UPVC cover.

When the car's not on the driveway, you'd hardly notice the charger was present. When the car is charging, even if you could overcome the car cable lock, you'd have no idea what it's attached to inside or indeed if it's powered up.

This latter point should be sufficient to dissuade some idiot from cutting, pulling or otherwise messing with it :mad:
Cable not gone missing yet. But a bit paranoid now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought today I had about 400 quids worth of esve and type 2 cables in the boot. What happens if someone puts a brick through the boot window and nicks them! Quick and easy. And your home charger on the outside of the house must be worth about £100-200 second hand. At the moment the whole electric car thing is below the thieves radar but give it a few years.....

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
@SmurfUK76 there was a thread on here a while back about a wall lock that you secured the cable with. No matter what you do though if someone even attempts to steal or just wants to vandalise the car any damage to the charge ports will probably cost more to repair than replacing the cable.

Here it is, the search function on here is rubbish at the moment but Google still works... Securing a cable at home - nice wall anchor

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Security camera and PIR Light is about the only choice you have being that on display. I would go for driving in and plugging in nose first and place a bin or something in front of the charging point. We put a black cloth over the charging lights on our dash and have PIR light by it. Never had a problem in 3 years.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I thought today I had about 400 quids worth of esve and type 2 cables in the boot. What happens if someone puts a brick through the boot window and nicks them! Quick and easy. And your home charger on the outside of the house must be worth about £100-200 second hand. At the moment the whole electric car thing is below the thieves radar but give it a few years.....
Shove all the cables under the bonnet they will all fit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just looked out my window and saw 4 local 'nice guys ' having a good look at my car on charge.
I could be being overly suspicious and they could have been looking at the strange ev. But as i went outside they dissappeard fast.

My charge point can be clearly seen from my gate (picture taken from street). 
Apart from the Nissan ' lock to car' (which looks like I could unhook it with a spoon). Its there anyway of securing cable to either house or car?
Anyone with pictures of things they have done would be appreciated. View attachment 29121
Put a wheelie bin or bush in front of the charge point and tape over the lights.
Then put more tape over the three lights on the dash.
Do the cable loopy thingy I suggested.
Job done.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
People have already reported cable thefts from parked cars (breaking a window and stealing EVSE and other charging cables from the boot).

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Are there any issues with heat leaving the cable bags on top of the charger/motor like that? Isn't the metal top of the charger a big heatsink?

·
Super Moderator
5,745 Posts
Why does eveyone make it so complicated?:)

Put a loop of cable through the spoke of the front wheel, pull the loop back to the straight bit of cable and padlock them together. The Volt has no cable locking so this is what we have done for 4 years with no issues.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The Type1<>2 lead on my Prius has a hole in it for a padlock - this stops the button from being pushed and the cable removed. I don't know whether this is specific to the type of lead I have though.

Roll on a type 2 plug in the Leaf though - it's nice in our Zoe knowing that the plug is firmly locked to the car.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Are there any issues with heat leaving the cable bags on top of the charger/motor like that? Isn't the metal top of the charger a big heatsink?
Nope. It's been like this for more than Twelve months.

No damage to the bags or cables.
Slight rubbing from the bag on the goldy bit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I d
Have you got a photo of how the cables are positioned under the bonnet please? Are they secured in any way ?
I'm too lazy to secure them so have been left loose in their bags. They never seem to move from their position and we have travelled from the UK to Sweden with it like that.

Will post the images a bit later on today. But they are just shoved in there.
The power brick cable, type 2 cable, and various accessories and adapters and a tyre pump.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Have you got a photo of how the cables are positioned under the bonnet please? Are they secured in any way ?
Here you go.

On the Left is the Power brick cable and bag. On the Right is the type 2 cable and bag.
There is an extension lead for the power brick charger or ourselves if we need power in a tent or both.
The green bag has an euro plug adapter cables with polarity tester for those tricky french Schuco chargers.

There is also underneath the green bag a tyre pump. Though I have now realised that there is a pump in the back of the boot area in the left side panel next to a towing bar and first aid kit. I really should read the manual.

IMG_8141.jpg

I just find opening the bonnet easier than hoofing around the boot for the cables as I need to be at the front of the car to charge it anyway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts