Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Cable storage

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Maturedriver 
#1 ·
One of the disadvantages if the Mk8 Golf GTE is the small boot. Since there is no where else to store the charge cable/s this makes the boot even smaller. I notice that under the boot floor, around the fuel tank and 12 volt battery, there is a single piece of removable foam packing. Has anyone removed this packing and spread out the charge cable/s in it’s place?

#2 ·
Simple answer no.

I used exclusively the two hooks on either side of the boot to keep the cables stored away.

If I needed space for any trip, I would simply weigh the requirements and either leave cables at home or take them with me but in the cabin.

#3 ·
I only ever charge using the granny cable at home or work so only carry that cable which I store behind the drivers seat in the rear footwell. Do you need to carry both cables?
Obviously storing in the footwell is no use if you carry people in the back but I only use the front seats 99% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I would only wish to carry the granny cable when I visit friends who live more than 100 miles or so away. Obviously I would wish to ’steal‘ their electricity during my stay 🙄!! If the boot was full I thought sticking the cable in the space I am referring to would be a reasonable idea.

#5 ·
There's nothing really stopping you doing that.

The foam packing is just there to create a level floor, around the larger metal object which is the petrol tank and the smaller black metal object which is where the 12V battery resides.

The GTE is a 'dense' car, in regular Mk7 Golf the petrol tank is under the rear bench seat but in GTE that is where the hybrid battery is located, so they relocated the petrol tank to the boot. Hence the space compromise.

I've seen ID3 and it's much better for boot space!

#6 ·
I am similar to the others in not always carrying cables I don't need or hooking them at the sides of the boot where they don't take too much space.

But there are a few extra cubby holes under the boot floor around the foam where I have stashed 2 cans of Holt's tyre weld and an emergency triangle.

#9 ·
I think the foam packing a around the fuel tank and 12 volt battery is badly designed. I appreciate that it’s there primarily to support the boot floor, it does incorporate a few small cubbyholes, but it could have been designed better to store at least a one of the charging cables. Designed properly I’m sure there’s enough room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.