Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a supermarket car park in France I successfully charged for free using a Hager device, the model is witty. However I couldn't remove the cable from the type 2 socket. There were no buttons or instructions.

Is this the type of device that would electronically lock the cable in?

I asked the staff to turn off the power in case that would release it, but they couldn't or wouldn't. Eventually after a few attempts they were able to remove the cable but using rather more force than I would want. (They first asked me to disconnect and reconnect at the car end to see if that would do anything, but I am not sure if that is safe while current is flowing through).

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I was always told to stop the charge and then remove the cable from the charger first. If there was no way to stop the charge then, as mentioned, unplug from the car and then when trying to remove the plug from the charger you may need to push it further in to release the locking pin or try wiggling is in case the locking pin is catching on one of the locking hole's sides.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They first asked me to disconnect and reconnect at the car end to see if that would do anything, but I am not sure if that is safe if the current is flowing through.
As others have said removing the cable from the car end first is fairly normal where there is no way to stop the charge with an app, rfid or physical button. PodPoint chargers in the UK are a perfect example of this.

On my car, when I unlock the doors the charging is paused and the cable unlocked at the car end, so no current is flowing. There is also a safety device built into the system with one of the control pins on the plug being shorter, so if the plug is pulled the current is cut off before the main pins are withdrawn.

I use the same method for the granny charger, unlock the car so the electronics cut off the current, the charge light goes off and you can hear the contactors open in the charger - much better than interrupting the current using the little switch on the 13A socket.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,940 Posts
I believe you should unplug the car, and then the charger should release the cable.
I was always told to stop the charge and then remove the cable from the charger first. If there was no way to stop the charge then, as mentioned, unplug from the car and then when trying to remove the plug from the charger you may need to push it further in to release the locking pin or try wiggling is in case the locking pin is catching on one of the locking hole's sides.
PodPoint chargers in the UK are a perfect example of this.
At our local Tesco, you need to unplug from the car before the charger end will release. It stops any signal to the charger.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's often impossible to stop the charge first, especially with the plug & go chargers at retail parks etc. It is normal to unplug the car first. As soon as the release button is pressed on the car the charge stops. Once the cable is removed from the car, the charge point usually releases the cable lock. This will be why the staff asked the OP to reconnect and disconnect the car. There won't have been any current flowing @ArcherGreg, as soon as the comms pin is disconnected (the much shorter on in the plug), all current is stopped. You can safely connect and disconnect. As mentioned above, pushing the plug in first, then pulling can also help get the locking pin released.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts