Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-e SR RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my charge point installed and had a quick question. I was expecting it to be installed with a cable such as UltraEV or similar SWA cable, but instead it was fitted with twin and earth cable. The installer was OLEV approved and appointed by the charge points manufacturer. I was surprised that it was T&E, I was also hoping to get a data connection for future CT clamps but this can be added later I suppose.

The cable runs completely inside the garage and then goes directly into the back of the charger on an external wall, so there's no where that it is exposed outside. Is this common for all-internal cable runs?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I've just had my charge point installed and had a quick question. I was expecting it to be installed with a cable such as UltraEV or similar SWA cable, but instead it was fitted with twin and earth cable. The installer was OLEV approved and appointed by the charge points manufacturer. I was surprised that it was T&E, I was also hoping to get a data connection for future CT clamps but this can be added later I suppose.

The cable runs completely inside the garage and then goes directly into the back of the charger on an external wall, so there's no where that it is exposed outside. Is this common for all-internal cable runs?

Down to the installer's judgement. Nothing intrinsically wrong with T&E clipped direct, as long as the installer was content that no additional means of protection from direct outdoor exposure or likely mechanical damage was needed

Personally I don't much like clipped direct cables in a garage, unless they are high up and unlikely to get knocked by something. My preference would be to use trunking or conduit to provide a degree of additional protection, but there is nothing in the regs stating that clipped direct isn't OK.

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-e SR RWD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeremy, I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the installation as the guy was telling me he fits 1000s of them nationwide. It's all indoors, LS0H 6mm^2 cable so well up to the job and broadly goes along the ceiling line to the CU, which is also in the garage; it just comes down the wall to go through the wall to outside at the level with the charger, but then it's tucked up in a corner, if it becomes an issue I'll cover it with something to protect it but should be fine.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
248 Posts
Down to the installer's judgement. Nothing intrinsically wrong with T&E clipped direct, as long as the installer was content that no additional means of protection from direct outdoor exposure or likely mechanical damage was needed

Personally I don't much like clipped direct cables in a garage, unless they are high up and unlikely to get knocked by something. My preference would be to use trunking or conduit to provide a degree of additional protection, but there is nothing in the regs stating that clipped direct isn't OK.
Just like to say how helpful your posts are always well reasoned and helpful. Just the sort of contributions that make a good forum😉

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess if you'd thought to ask the guy how he was going to do it you wouldn't be surprised now & perhaps for a modest fee could have had it upgraded to your expectations? 😕

1 - 5 of 5 Posts