Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired searching this forum and ID3owners without success

New car, new Ohme charger. Plugged in for the 1st time this afternoon and set the Ohme app to charge the car to 90% by 0700 tomorrow. I checked the car and it was set to 80% charge so i manually changed it to 90%. Left alone with the Ohme showing "dumb charging" and came back an hour or so later and found the ohme lights blinking indicating a EV fault.

Checked the car and the cable was unlocked. Tried to reconnect and the car initially locks the cable but after 2 sec it unlocks it again.

Connected the We connect app and the message "error please try connecting the cable again" shows when i try and charge it. It's on 76% atm so not fussed for tomorrow but the manual is useless and can't find similar issues elsewhere.

car running v2.1

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tired searching this forum and ID3owners without success

New car, new Ohme charger. Plugged in for the 1st time this afternoon and set the Ohme app to charge the car to 90% by 0700 tomorrow. I checked the car and it was set to 80% charge so i manually changed it to 90%. Left alone with the Ohme showing "dumb charging" and came back an hour or so later and found the ohme lights blinking indicating a EV fault.

Checked the car and the cable was unlocked. Tried to reconnect and the car initially locks the cable but after 2 sec it unlocks it again.

Connected the We connect app and the message "error please try connecting the cable again" shows when i try and charge it. It's on 76% atm so not fussed for tomorrow but the manual is useless and can't find similar issues elsewhere.

car running v2.1
I had something similar when I got the Ohme charger. Car initially seemed to charge, but a couple of minutes later showed an error. I can’t be sure it’s wasn’t something I was doing wrong (can’t see what), but it seemed to work the following day. It hasn’t occurred since, well it worked until 2 weeks ago, when the charger died. I’m currently using a granny cable

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Disclaimer: you might be about to read the most useless and irrelevant comment that has ever been posted in the history of the internet, so I apologise in advance...

I have once had a similar message appear in my GTE (wrong car) when using my ProjectEV charger (wrong charger) [warned you that this might be a useless and irrelevant comment...]. I "fixed" it by unplugging the car, restarting the charger (switched off and back on at the mains) and plugging the car back in, and it's been working fine ever since. All I can think of is the charger got it's knickers in a twist and wasn't talking to the car properly.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
Yeah I tried resetting the charger without success. I will try connecting to a public charger today and see what results I get
It’s worth a go, the first Ohme cable I got was faulty, wouldn’t connect to the car 9 times out of 10, just clicked and flashed red.

That was on an e-Golf, the replacement worked fine straight out of the box and continues working fine on both the ID.3 and the M3.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
557 Posts
This might be a little bit of a dumb suggestion but have you made sure the cable is properly seated into the connector, I had an issue with mine not charging and it turned out I'd put it in far enough for it to attempt to start charging but not far enough for it to actually charge!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plugged it in at our journeys end today in an Ecotricity charger and it charged fine.

Got home, plugged it in and it's charging fine now too.

Quickly though - when are you supposed to pay for using the Ecotricity points? I plugged my car in today, let it charge to 80%, unplugged it, checked the machine and it just said goodbye...so i drove off (then thought about it, went back, charged it to 90% and left again.

Did i just get a free charge or am i missing something here?

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I used an Ecotricity charger last week, a pending payment of £12.00 (the maximum possible, I think) appeared before I'd even driven off. The actual amount was deducted about a week later and the balance disappeared from pending a few days after that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I used an Ecotricity charger last week, a pending payment of £12.00 (the maximum possible, I think) appeared before I'd even driven off. The actual amount was deducted about a week later and the balance disappeared from pending a few days after that.
Yeah but the charger never knew i was there???? i drove up, pressed the charger i wanted (CCS) plugged it in, it started charging, unplugged and left. Never scanned with the app (is that how it's supposed to work) or entered my reg or anything. BTW first time ever public charging.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
Yeah but the charger never knew i was there???? i drove up, pressed the charger i wanted (CCS) plugged it in, it started charging, unplugged and left. Never scanned with the app (is that how it's supposed to work) or entered my reg or anything. BTW first time ever public charging.
Yes, that sounds like a free vend. The unit was probably offline, and I think they default to free when that happens.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know, in that case. Yes, sounds like it was in free charge mode. (Edit: just seen Tooks' post above.)

The one I used (also my first public charge) didn't do anything until I'd used the app to scan the charger's QR code.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If the ecotricity charger has something about using the app on the screen, you will be charged, you go through the steps of identify the charger and connector you want to use them you payment. If it is showing the connectors on the screen it will be in free vend, select your connector plug in and charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.