Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly stunned to find the video below by 'petrolhead' Aussie John Cadogan.

Apparently Hyundai lent him a Kona for a few months and he likes it - though he doesn't actually review it much in this longish (27 min) video. It's mostly about charging and not having to go to petrol stations (and a bit near the end about seeing off boy racers).

In fact, as a regular watcher of his videos, I'm quite puzzled. But if he's a convert that cannot be bad.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Without fail there is a guy in the comments claiming he needs to drive 9000(!)km on a regular basis and also people going on about hydrogen.

Every. Single. Time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Having watched quite a few of his ranting and raving car videos and watching this one carefully, I think he was actually quite smitten by the Kona but made a conscious effort to disassociate himself with any appearance of being "green", which would not suit his tough guy YouTube image. His comments about trickle charging v.s. wall box charging v.s. power draw from the house showed him to be a bit lacking in basic electrical knowledge, despite my understanding that he has a degree in mechanical engineering. Overall I'd call it a "win" for the Kona.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Slightly stunned to find the video below by 'petrolhead' Aussie John Cadogan.

Apparently Hyundai lent him a Kona for a few months and he likes it - though he doesn't actually review it much in this longish (27 min) video. It's mostly about charging and not having to go to petrol stations (and a bit near the end about seeing off boy racers).

In fact, as a regular watcher of his videos, I'm quite puzzled. But if he's a convert that cannot be bad.

It’s a trap! ;-) I had to block his nonsense on YT! I do get the impression his problem is actually with Nissan‘s Leaf, from all accounts they didn’t help their profile with ridiculous quotes for battery replacements, although that could have been dealership price gouging.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be fair he has said in the past that EVs make a lot of sense in cities from the pollution, etc, POV.

His beef has been with the 'evangelical' EV pushers (hence the "Electric Jesus" gibes) who say they are the cure to climate change, etc - and he's right really.
Remember he's in Oz where most of their power is from coal, so EVs aren't actually that green down there. He is also extremely critical of his government and how they are handling that.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
He’s not far off there though is he, EVs will succeed not because they’re green and will save the planet (they won’t), but because they’re excellent as actual cars.

Everybody who has driven either of my EVs always walk away impressed that it was nothing like a milk float to drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts