Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first question from me. Probably of many to come.

Is there a good calculator available for fuel (sorry, energy) costs? Online guide or maybe an excel document somebody has shared?

I'd like to try and establish running costs over say the course of a year, and wondered how people do that?

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you want to track your current petrol costs, use Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG - every time you fill up the tank, record how many litres and what your odometer reading is. It will give you an accurate idea of what the cost is.

For my old car, you can see exactly what I spent and how far I drove - Yaris (Toyota Yaris) | Fuelly

£2,449.93 / 24,893 miles = 10p per mile.

For electric costs, it depends somewhat on your energy tariff. Look at your latest bill and you'll see how much you pay per kWh. I pay £0.13/kWh.

Find the capacity of your car's battery (my i3 has ~19kWh).

Total cost to fill 'er up is £0.13 * 19 = £2.50.

The final step is to work out how many miles a full battery will get you. That'll heavily depend on your journey, how fast you accelerate, temperature, weight etc.

At the moment, my range indicator says about 88 miles when fully charged.

£2.50 / 88 miles = 3p per mile.

So, your calculation will be

(Electricity cost per kWh * Battery Capacity in kWh) / Range in miles = Cost per mile.

If you're charging at public stations that are free, that cost will fall. If they charge - it'll rise.

HTH!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,151 Posts
Hello, first question from me. Probably of many to come.

Is there a good calculator available for fuel (sorry, energy) costs? Online guide or maybe an excel document somebody has shared?

I'd like to try and establish running costs over say the course of a year, and wondered how people do that?
You should throw in a few more specifics.

If you're talking about domestic-only charging for a 'typical' EV and a 'typical' energy tariff, then it's around £250/10k miles.

If you want to know 'savings' over a typical equivalent car, it's around 25p to 30p for each kWh you use in your EV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts