Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to plug my MG into an Ecotricity Type Two as the CSS pump was in use.

In just over twenty minutes I only got 2.3kWh. Is that about right? i.e. I can only add 7kW in an hour?

Transaction ID
Charge start time
Charge end time
Energy charge 2.3 kWh @ £0.30 per kWh
Total before VAT
VAT @ 20.00%

Total
18:30:15
18:53:08
£0.69
£0.57
£0.12
£0.69

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Correct. A lot of EVs can only draw 7kW AC. Some have up to 11kW AC, whilst the Zoe and a couple of others are unique in that they can draw 22kW and even 43kW on AC. The older Zoes dont have DC charging though that allows higher speeds.

All that's to say, don't use the AC charger on a high cost rapid! The car is limited to 7kW AC, regardless if the charger can put out higher rates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. A lot of EVs can only draw 7kW AC. Some have up to 11kW AC, whilst the Zoe and a couple of others are unique in that they can draw 22kW and even 43kW on AC. The older Zoes dont have DC charging though that allows higher speeds.

All that's to say, don't use the AC charger on a high cost rapid! The car is limited to 7kW AC, regardless if the charger can put out higher rates.
Thanks - I Type 2ing while waiting for the CCS. I'm not loving Ecotricity as the two locations I've tried have had reliability issues with the CCS.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
Thanks - I Type 2ing while waiting for the CCS. I'm not loving Ecotricity as the two locations I've tried have had reliability issues with the CCS.
Worth travelling up to 10miles out your way to use newer, better, more reliable and cheaper in some cases chargers from other networks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Worth travelling up to 10miles out your way to use newer, better, more reliable and cheaper in some cases chargers from other networks.
But surely not for 2.3kWhs. Most EVs would use more than 2.3kWhs to drive 10 miles off route. Makes perfect sense if a much larger charge is needed.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,378 Posts
FWIW are there still EH type 2's around, and do any do 22kW?

I still have my old EH card, does it still work on those?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Had to plug my MG into an Ecotricity Type Two as the CSS pump was in use.

In just over twenty minutes I only got 2.3kWh. Is that about right? i.e. I can only add 7kW in an hour?

Transaction ID
Charge start time
Charge end time
Energy charge 2.3 kWh @ £0.30 per kWh
Total before VAT
VAT @ 20.00%

Total
18:30:15
18:53:08
£0.69
£0.57
£0.12
£0.69
Yes. The fact that you are asking suggests you didn't get much handover on how to charge an electric car and the difference between CCS and Type 2. What were you told?

Also, I assume that wasn't enough charge to complete your journey, so what did you do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts