Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fag packet calculations warning...

So, here's my last three months stats according to Polar / Chargemaster.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 09.45.23.png

That's considering the rather impressive array of chargers we have in Milton Keynes, and how easy it is to charge around here if not ICEd or broken.

My home rate is at 12p per kWh. So that 70.07kWh equates to a few full charges of the LEAF, or about £8.50 if charged at home.

If that's correct, even ballpark, where does the £45.55 come from?

Anyway, if I always used the 7kWh posts and get a full 7kWh charge per hour, we'd be looking at a minimum of 10 hours, on pay as you go that's £2.50 x 10, or £25.50.

£25.50 over three months = £8.50 a month.

So even as an MK resident who charges possibly more than the average EV owner on a Chargemaster network, it costs less to go PAYG than any of their tariffs.

That's also £2.50 vs 84p per hour at 7 kWh, or about three times the price.

I could go further back, but I did a stint commuting into central MK which would skew the figures.

I have also concluded this is really overly complex just by trying to type this post! :D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I think 'money saved' is supposed to be how much less it cost you to drive those miles on free electricity than on petrol in some arbitrary gas guzzler.

They'll have to update their site now anyway to say 'money wasted' instead.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those nosy folks, here's my overall usage with Polar Chargemaster (first charge was 30th July 2013)...

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 09.45.03.png

So that's £51 of domestic electricity... £7.30 a month saving?

Works out at just over £150 using the 7kWh / hour at a time thing above, again three times domestic rate and again that's £21 a month. No idea how that tallies with their tariffs as my brain hurts already, if you're interested enough to figure it through, feel free to share the results! :D

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Here's how much I've used:

Which lasted 1h37m apparently. I must have been using the super-slow charger.

I think I found my new lottery number prediction tool.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Remember that the timings on ChargeVision are for time plugged in... not charging time.
Seem more like the output of rand() to me. There is no way I would have plugged in for 1h37 and only taken 0.26kWh. Why would I have plugged in? It must have been full!

I wish them the best of luck with their billing system. The credit card companies are going to love the chargebacks.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
This is my record...

As I have a POLAR unit from British Gas at home this includes my home charging so it is difficult to assess how much my charging on public POLAR would have costed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seems to be a bit of a problem if they are going to charge for Duration, as 8:13-8:54 with 2.66Kwh totals to 96h 41m according to Polar??? (How do you insert an image?)
All the other durations are also way out, if they are going to use that to calculate your payment ...
My figures are not as high as Matt,
138 recharges, 1725.1 energy, 1443.91 saved and £1121.31 saved.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry! I missed the rand() reference. Not programming much nowdays so didn't recognise the random number function :)

The thing is this... that the times are very accurate! When I first noticed this I didn't believe it and I made notes of when I plugged in and unplugged and they are accurate to the minute. I emailed and Twittered ChargeMaster for an explanation and got not reply (no surprise there!).

They seem very accurate... just plugged in times though... not charging times :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts