Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Should we Support EVDA-UK to develop a response to OLEV's Call for Evidence

• Not too bothered!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some one other than EVDA-UK is responding!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder who has been looking closely at the OLEV call for Evidence - see link below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...m-2015-to-2020

I'm on record as saying that such a opportunity should not be missed by the EV Community; however, coherence and accuracy of any response would have to be excellent, in order for our view to be considered seriously.

Of course all the other respondents (manufacturers, charge point providers and local authorities) will have salaried staff working on this for weeks. Moreover they will have their 'priorities' thoroughly well understood and documented. They are also have established presence at OLEV fora!

As it stands Matt Beard, EVDA-UK is trying to rustle up some support to draft a response - I'm sure he could do with more input - what to you think?

Lets see how much interest there is and then I will explain what I see is 'the challenge'!

Drive ON!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hi Brian, I've just moved this topic into the "Open EV Discussion" forum, it should gain more exposure here.

I've been so busy lately I've only glanced at the OLEV information and it seems quite overwhelming, and no "average" EV owner will probably be able to spend the time to organise their own full, detailed response, let alone organise a posse to get some shared point of view across.

Don't know is my answer, it's clear little effort has, is, or seemingly will be made by "the powers that be" to genuinely engage with the true EV pioneers, which are the private owners and lease customers who are putting their money where their mouth is and driving these cars every day.

I guarantee in my five months of ownership I've connected with more of the public than any authority has in terms of good EV PR, and that's just from parking up and talking to people!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you are reading it as I do.
No one has the knowledge, experience - or the time to give an effective response to Call. EV Matters has written to OLEV suggesting that what is needed is a 'funded study', that would give some professional help to the EV community and would both disseminate and collect information. What we need are workshops that make us better informed as to the policies of OLEV and other organisations.
The reply from OLEV is 'nothing' - not a could/might/can respond - simply ignoring the input!
I've also this week approached Mitsubushi, Renault, Nissan and BMW to see if they would hold 'events' to stimulate the development of a UK 'user group' and enable an exchange of data with theEV Community. Its early days - but so far no reply.
6 months ago I tried to get access to OLEV and SMMT and although a dialogue was opened - no invitation to meetings was ever received.
I can understand their point of view - user opinions know no bounds and for any 1 sensible proposal you get 999 statements of pure rubbish. Leaf Talk is a classic example of the ill-informed overstating their opinions.
In summary - I've come to the conclusion that any ad hoc hand-crafted response to the Call for Evidence will do the EV community a disservice. Only a well informed community can make effective responses and I don't think we have that today.
Drive ON!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Paul
1 - 4 of 4 Posts