Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for two or three small (and I mean small!) electric vans for a specific purpose. It needs a real range of 90+ miles as some of the routes are 30-40 miles each way. Driving is 95% rural (we're talking Cumbria) so top speed 45mph would be fine but 50mph would be great but most of the route is 20/30mph country lanes.

I'm interested in 'Winston' or two but think that adding a Mega van would give me more flexability with load sizes (weight not an issue).

So my questions are: Are they as bad as they appear to be? What heater/demisting, if any, have they got (again we're talking Cumbria!). What sort of upgrades can be done to battery/charging as the technology has moved on somewhat from 48v 5hp. I've seen videos of simple lithium battery upgrades to full on 96v upgrades. Costs can be swallowed as nobody actually makes what I'm looking for (other than a Winston).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I'm happy that Winston will do the job of a Kangoo and at only 8k. I'm after info about the mega van due to the size of the load area.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personally I wouldnt expect the Mega van to do what you want it to, the range would need nore than double the cells in the van , or a significant Lifepo4 upgrade. At only 48v their power is limited, and being DC the main advantage of higher voltage is higher speed. Frankly I wouldnt wish to do that. They are very simple and not that substantially built.
Heating is electric, so will use up pack , but the cab is small. Drive with the window open and the fan on and a set of gloves and balaclava and all is good.
So to get your range
Change to lifepo4, I would expect to pay £5kto £7k to convert and get the range,
Increased service requirements, especially in a rural setting.
Potentially decreased life span.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There is a Winston box van back at our place now.

Currently drawing up plans for a 16KWH LiMg pack

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys.

As I thought, just not up to the job, shame as a good shape/design.

Mike. What sort of range are you expecting from 16KWH LiMg? Quite a bit more over the standard 7Kw. Are you uprating the charger as well?. I might be passing next week.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

As I thought, just not up to the job, shame as a good shape/design.

Mike. What sort of range are you expecting from 16KWH LiMg? Quite a bit more over the standard 7Kw. Are you uprating the charger as well?. I might be passing next week.
It is untested but somewhere upwards of 80 miles real world is expected. Maybe as high as 120 miles but I should stress we haven't tested the lithium option.

We can fit more in but this seems to be the best tradeoff as a standard offering. We will probably offer a 8KWH half size pack too for ~£1k less.

Le me know if you want to pop in. I'm out on Thursday but should be around the rest of the week.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts