Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've managed to track one down (14 plate) and it's being delivered in a week or so. There's not much info on the web or the official website (dealer knew a little but not a lot, and this is Peugeot UK!) so thought I'd ask you owners a couple of questions.

I read on a review sight that it only charges to 80% via Chademo but you can restart the charge to get to 100% but it does it very slowly, is this correct?

Does it charge to 100% on the type 1 socket or is that the same?

What is the speed of the type 1 socket, is it just 3.5kw or does it charge faster from a wall charger?

I did loads of research before deciding on the Partner but are there any issues/niggles that I should be aware of, either to put up with or fix?

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another point I would like some owner opinion/confirmation on is the towing weight (if any, as is the usual case!). I have got conflicting information from the web and manufacturer. The review by vanexpert (are they really....) says thath the towing weight is only for unbraked upto 750kg this has been confirmed by Peugoet UK. However a copy of the handbook I have seen on line and the official sales sheets PDF just states 'unsuitable for towing' which is a phrase I have not come across before, usually it would say 'towing prohibited' or 'not approved for towing'. So can anyone look in a handbook for a 2014 year model and tell me what it says? Thanks again.

p.s.. I may have found the answer to my second question of the Type 1 socket, it is 16amp capable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
AFAIK, the Partner Electric is not rated to tow a trailer by Peugeot. It is the same drivetrain as in the iOn/C-Zero/i-Miev, so might not be the greatest tow vehicle in any case.;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was what I expected but two reviews on line and peugeot UK say unbraked up to 750kg. I don't trust on line reviews or a person in a call centre to deliver the correct info hence asking actual owners who may have proof. Then again if the handbook simply states 'unsuitable for towing' what does that mean? Many things are unsuitable but get used.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the van has arrived and it's brilliant! Judging by the amount of response to this thread it looks like I've joined a very exclusive club.

The handbook I have simply states to look at the VIN plate for towing weights. I did. It has a - so as expected not able to tow. I mean it is but you're just not allowed, it is identical to the ICE versions but Peugeot want to protect the drive train from morons hitching up a 2 ton caravan or digger. Shame.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty much what I think, however the new face-lift one that comes out in December (the one Royal Mail are getting 100 of) is being pushed to private owners, well self employed types anyway. I was asked if I wanted to wait for the new one. There may be a few more appearing on the second hand market as the initial 3 year contract end but Howmanyleft only has around 140 registered anyway. Mine is ex-demo.

It's a great van and everything the Kangoo isn't. Slightly bigger, 3 seats, and they do 'magic' things to increase load length and space. Also battery included, but the killer is Chademo rapid charging and up to 16A domestic, the Kangoo is granny lead only. Range is also better, I got 90 miles with normal driving yesterday, when I tested a Kangoo I got around 65. My one also has built in SatNav, Bluetooth etc, but that was a £900 option.

Trouble is if you want one, in over 8 months of searching I only saw 3 for sale.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,616 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Also battery included, but the killer is Chademo rapid charging and up to 16A domestic, the Kangoo is granny lead only.
Kangoo has a 16A on-board charger. Lack of rapid charging is a real issue though.

when I tested a Kangoo I got around 65.
Sounds about right.

Kangoo Z.E. is getting modest battery upgrade to 33kWh and the R60 motor. Renault say the real world range should be between 75 and 124 miles. This is up from Renault's estimate of 50 to 78 for Kangoo Z.E. Phase 2.

Still no rapid charging. We can blame the French post office for that. The 33kWh battery is going to take even longer to recharge at 16Amps.

In my opinion Kangoo Z.E. is all around a better van than the eNV200. Lack of rapid charging puts it out off the running.

I never got a chance to test drive the Peugeot. I can see how it could be the best of the three.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I originally wanted a Kangoo as we own a Zoe and it would have been nice to keep everything under one umbrella. They also had the spec I wanted and were of the right size, then I found out about the lack of charging options. Due to their availability and the price point I was going to see if I could live without it, then I found out that they are almost all battery rental and the mileage I will be doing the sums just won't add up.

The Nissan is an excellent van but too big for my needs and also too expensive (rubbish SatNav reviews also didn't help). However to get the best of both worlds I ended up paying lower Nissan money due to supply and demand.

I think even with battery rental, at the price point and with rapid charging the Kangoo would be hard to ignore. As you point out increasing the battery size but remaining at a slow charge rate will rule out a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
OOo I've got one! 2014 plate too. I've mentioned a few thoughts on mine on a previous thread (copied bellow).
How are you enjoying it?

"
I know it's a little late but I have a 2014 Partner Electric, so if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them.
Currently this Winter I've been averaging 75 miles with no heating. The heating really does gobble the battery. Summer I can get to 90. All town driving.

There is a slight delay on pressing the peddle or lifting your foot off, only tiny but noticeable. I'm used to it now. The regen is heavy, one foot driving is pretty easy.

The drive/park knob isn't as good as the Leaf, you have to phisically shift it to park.

You can't sit with the heat on while charging which is a little annoying.

It has a type 1 (same as leaf) connector at the front right. Where the diesel cap should be is the chademo connector.
"

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not being able to have the heating on while charging is slightly annoying but I do most of my charging at home so not an issue and any out-and-about rapid charging is usually from 40%-50% so only takes 15 mins so not long enough to get too cold. No pre-heat or de-frost also spoils the fun but it is a commercial vehicle and built to a price point so I didn't expect all the toys. I like the folding wing mirrors!

Current temperatures (-2 to 8 degrees) I'm getting 70-75 miles with heating on (see below) best I had in warmer weather 109 miles.

I find that if I have the heater on 3 or 4 squares and 1 whole fan blade then any miles lost on the GOM (a nice touch that it auto-adjusts with heater) are gained back with regen. Might be a useful factor of living in the hilly lake district? Having the vents on the floor also helps keep a nice warm cab and it suggests that fro winter driving in the EV supplement handbook/leaflet. Having the heater over half way and I think I could melt the dashboard! Clears the screen from ice within minutes with no need to scrape.

Overall I'm really happy with the van.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@NotQuiteCumbrian thanks for sharing your experience with the Partner van. How are you finding it one year one? How do you reckon it compares to the Nissan env200? Do you know of any tools to measure battery health of a Partner van, like LeafSpy for Nissan? Keen to have the three seat option. It's a shame it can't run the heater when rapid charging. This is very useful for warning the cabin before driving. Can you pre-heat on AC charging?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Glyn. One year on and apart from things already mentioned I'm extremely happy with the van. Added another power outlet (blanked hole already in console so no cutting required) for a heated seat pad, I can now power the dashcam and heat the seat at the same time. It also keeps my back/bum warm while charging.

One more annoying thing I found is the ignition switches off after 20mins for '12v battery save' mode. This is an across the range Peugeot thing! Totally unnecessary on an EV but I asked and it can't be changed with the software (some earlier Peugeots can).

Not too sure how it compares to the nv200 as I've never driven one. At the time it was a price thing, and still is as I would only buy the new 40kWh version. Hard to compare as well as the NV200 is really the next van size up, the true comparison is the Kangoo and the Pug wipes the floor with that!

3 seats is still an issue as we often (nearly always) travel, me, the wife and our jack russel. 2 seats would be a pain (mostly on the wifes lap!)

If I do change at any point it will be either a battery upgrade on this or a 40 NV depending on prices at the time or if I'm so busy I need a bigger van.

No pre-heating at all. The heater only works when the van is fully 'on' and you can't do that if it is charging.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks. That's that's very useful. Seems like a nice van. The three seats are a big plus. It's a real shame it can't run the heater while charging, I struggle to see a technical reason why this is the case. Therefore in winter do you have to unplug the charger to start the van defrosting?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the vans, all years 14,15,16,17 are the same. They have just updated the Partner BUT looks like NOT the electric. I am trying to confirm this with Peugoet UK but as yet no reply. You do indeed have to unplug to defrost, but the button to 'clear screen' is so crazy hot that it only takes minutes.

To answer a previous question there is no app or software to go poking or nosing about, only the official dealer stuff. There are only 4 in private hands I know of so hardly a massive demand for it (shame). Good luck in finding one, and find out as much history as you can. If low miles it may have been stood about at a nasty level of charge etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks, that's good to hear. It's a shame manufacturers don't publish a changelog!

True there are not many Partners around, I've not seen any in the wild. Although according to Search results for 'peugot partner electric' - How Many Left? there are more than you might think!

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 00.30.06.png

I've heard the Partner is based on the i-miev / c-zero platform, I wonder if a bluetooth ODB dongle with one of the following Android apps might work? Hopefully, I'll be able to get hold of a van soon, I'll test it out and let you know:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=emobility.canion

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dc.local.electriccar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.EvPositive.EvBatMon_iMiEV

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
150+ of those belong to the Royal Mail. The rest are local authorities trying to get to their 'green' targets. Very few make it into private sale, but they are out there and 14/15 plates at end of lease are trickling through. However many are being held onto by them due the low running costs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I picked up a Peugeot Partner van today. It's destined for a family member but I'll have use on it for a few days. First impressions are a very tidy van. Three seats at the front are awesome, love how they can fold up/down when not in use. Things I miss from my env200: Bluetooth phone connection, keyless entry, pre-heating, heated seats & wheel. However, the Partner drives great and being a smaller van seems to get slightly better economy. Need to do more testing to be sure. Regen braking also seems to be stronger on the Partner which I like.

Using a Bluetooth ODBII dongle I've managed to get a reading of the battery temperature, SOC and Ah using Canion and ODBZero apps. I didn't have long to test this evening, it seems all metrics are not working but the fact this works at all might indicate that the Partner is based on the i-miev / c-zero platform.

Screenshot_2018-11-15-01-00-59.png

Screenshot_2018-11-15-01-04-30.png

1 - 20 of 26 Posts