Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yet more junk reporting from Cambridge News:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/As-data-reveals-councils-electric-car-charging-points-have-only-been-used-a-handful-of-times-has-Cambridges-green-motoring-dream-stalled-20140531080021.htm

Their figures are just plain wrong, I see other EVs around the city every time I go out and the charging points in Grafton East are used much more than they claim.

What is it with local 'press'? The website is such a mess I can't even comment on the article... How on earth do these newspapers stay in business?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yet more junk reporting from Cambridge News:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/As-data-reveals-councils-electric-car-charging-points-have-only-been-used-a-handful-of-times-has-Cambridges-green-motoring-dream-stalled-20140531080021.htm

Their figures are just plain wrong, I see other EVs around the city every time I go out and the charging points in Grafton East are used much more than they claim.

What is it with local 'press'? The website is such a mess I can't even comment on the article... How on earth do these newspapers stay in business?
"There hasn't been a good enough vehicle until now, with the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV" says the spokesman from the local - wait for it - Mitsubishi dealer...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Why don't you make an FOI request to Cambridge Council for the usage data? If it's supported by subsidy it should be disclosable. You may then be able to debunk the story with one of your own?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have sent them a mail offering to meet the council to explain why they are so under utilised, being they are just 13 amp plugs in a car park where 5 hours parking is 25 quid (makes CM look cheap) and the bays are so small that a leaf will hang out the back end when parked up to the wall, bad planning and implementation are the reasons they are under used

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why don't you make an FOI request to Cambridge Council for the usage data? If it's supported by subsidy it should be disclosable. You may then be able to debunk the story with one of your own?
I don't doubt that the data is what the data is, I just doubt that the data has much of a correlation to actual usage. Anyone going from the 'official' data is likely working from an unknown subset.

Jon is right about the crazy parking charges, but the small spaces and parking charges are the same for the entire car park, which is full of cars most of the time. I don't think that stops people, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I don't doubt that the data is what the data is, I just doubt that the data has much of a correlation to actual usage. Anyone going from the 'official' data is likely working from an unknown subset.

Jon is right about the crazy parking charges, but the small spaces and parking charges are the same for the entire car park, which is full of cars most of the time. I don't think that stops people, unfortunately.

agree its part of the "stop bringing cars into cambridge campaign". However I do wonder if to get my leaf chargered in the grafton center I have to put the nose on the back wall, to ensure I am not hanging out the back of the bay, how to bigger cars cope, or do people think its acceptable to leave the car sticking out.

Will see what kind of response I get from the new council

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I looked at those spaces as a good idea before I got my ampera, then found out you have to pay £50 a year to use them, on top of the £25 a day parking charges ! Decided that for the few times I park in Cambridge city centre, I would give it a miss.....
I assumed it was Marshalls way of getting their money back....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
they now work with source east and source london so only £10 but still have to park a long time to get your money back

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Same problem in canterbury - useless 13amp sockets in park and ride car parks rarely used. I have tried to tell council they need modern rapid chargers in city centre but they are sadly disinterested.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts