Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally speaking I try to spend at least a week or two camping with the family, usually in my former stomping ground of Dorset, but also Cornwall and I'd love to try farther afield too.

Does anyone know of and can recommend places that have camping and charging? Yurt sites would be good too, even (at a push) static caravans or small holiday home destinations?

Been cruising ZeroNet and other sites but not really with much luck. Maybe if we can get a list started (tents, yurt, static, lodge) then it could be something useful for me (oh yes, and others)! ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just plug into the blue commando 16A then a 3 pin normal plug t'other end to plug trickle 10A charger leave 6A for the caravan. Don't try and boil a kettle and toaster at the same time mind!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Grab one of these http://www.mdnsupplies.co.uk/shop/16a-plug-to-single-13a-socket-adaptor.html#SID=392

The blue bit goes in the post in your camping bay, your 10a EVSE brick goes in the black bit, you're all done!
The only problem is it is not weatherproof. Ideally get someone that understands electrics to fit one of these instead of the 13A socket:

http://search.diy.com/search#w=5015056506296&asug=

Or such a person could make a lead for you with commando plug and the above, or simply use one of these:

http://search.diy.com/search#w=5015056394459&asug=

to cover the 13A plug/socket to make weatherproof.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Oh, hey look - here is my EV charging at a camp-site in Dorset last year:
IMG_1027.JPG

... and another (also in Dorset):
IMG_1059.JPG

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We have charged a lot at camp sites using the normal hookup and 10A charging but it requires a little care and a degree of politeness and consideration for the owner and others on the site.

Firstly, are the camp site electrics up to the job? Remember, you will be taking 10A continuously for hours on end... it isn't the same as boiling a kettle. It will stress the electric supply and so be careful. If it is old and not in great condition (as many camp site electric are) then it might not be such a great idea.

Many camp sites only have 10A hookups and to charge a car at 10A is risky to say the least so only charge on 16A hookups.

As has been mentioned already, you will need to be careful not to overload the supply when charging so no kettles or high loads. I unplug the kettle when charging so it cannot just be switched on without thinking and I turn off the electric heating. If you do overload it then the MCB should trip and you may have to ask for it to be reset and that can be embarrassing in the middle of the night! Even worse, as has happened to me, instead of your own MCB tripping, it might trip the main breaker and take out a larger section of the site or even the whole site. Now that was embarrassing!

Always, and I mean always, ask first. Most camp site owners/operators are very willing to help but they know their site and they may suggest that you charge on a particular hook up as it is newer or 16A where others are 10A. Anyway, it is polite and respectful and if you do have problems you will have already got their permission. I have been asked to pay an extra fee too to cover the car charging. I never mind that if it is a reasonable fee. One or two pounds a day is what I consider reasonable. However, most seem to offer it for free :)

This will become more of an issue with the advent of EVs that can tow such as the Volvo V60 and Mitsubishi Outlander.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Going back to the commando to 3-pin plug adaptors, I have a question that maybe @Kevin Sharpe can answer.

I see from the ZeroNet map that although many charge points have Type 2 sockets, some have 32 amp commando sockets. Now I've got a 16 amp commando plug to 3 pin socket adaptor as described above; but a 32 amp commando socket isn't the same size as a 16 amp socket, hence my question. Would there be any point in getting a 32 amp commando plug to 3 pin socket converter or do the ZeroNet locations that have 32 amp commando sockets also have 3 pin sockets?

(Just to avoid any confusion, the commando sockets on camp sites are 16 amp, I'm drifting away from the original topic a bit.)

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
You could use a 32amp to 16amp converter, then your existing 16am to 3pin. Hopefully ZCW has a plan to add type2 charging to all sites.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Would there be any point in getting a 32 amp commando plug to 3 pin socket converter
You might find the 32A commando plug adaptor useful at locations other than ZeroNet... if you can get one cheap then I'd just stick one in the boot.

do the ZeroNet locations that have 32 amp commando sockets also have 3 pin sockets?
ZeroNet locations that have 32A commando also have 13A sockets :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
You might find the 32A commando plug adaptor useful at locations other than ZeroNet... if you can get one cheap then I'd just stick one in the boot.

ZeroNet locations that have 32A commando also have 13A sockets :)
Thanks for that info. I think that given that:
  • The only adaptors I can find online are £60 (albeit with an inline RCD).
  • I've only got a 16A charger.
  • I'll be OK anyway at a ZeroNet location as they'll have a 13A socket
I won't worry about getting one. I suppose that means that next week I'll end up having to get recovered by Nissan whilst sitting next to a 32A commando socket.:)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I won't worry about getting one. I suppose that means that next week I'll end up having to get recovered by Nissan whilst sitting next to a 32A commando socket.:)
If you can rewire a plug then buy a 32A plug from ScrewFix for £6.31 (you'll find cheaper ones on the internet);

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-commando-interlocked-straight-plug-32a-2p-e-200-250v-ip44/96376

Then if you ever need to charge at a 32A commando location just swap the plugs on your brick EVSE. Obviously you'll only charge at 10A but thats better than being stranded IMO :)

For the record, all ZeroNet "commando" locations have been offered a 32A Type 2 upgrade so in future you'll always have Type 2 charging if you carry a suitable cable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts