Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 55 Etron. I have successfully charged at one or two 50kw CCS rapid chargers, most recently a engenie charger.

However, I have tried two different Morrison’s geniepoint Chargers and, despite repeated efforts I could not get either to work. One would not start and the other started but I cut out after 1 minute.

I thought that this must be incompatibility issue between Geniepoint and Etron. However, I tried a Geniepoint at a local Texaco garage and it worked fine. I really need to find out what I’m doing wrong with the CCS Morrison’s chargers as when I hopefully holiday in July, the only local rapid chargers are at Morrison’s stores.

I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas? I’m using App and not an RFID card but that shouldn’t matter I assume?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
The Genie Point chargers are very inconsistent, some are great, some not so. Have you checked on Zap Map to see if they are working for others?
And sorry to ask, but you are enabling the correct of the three options (CCS) on the website?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips...

I definitely used the CCS Combo Cable and selected that option on the website and Selected that option on the touch screen of charger. The screen did not say out of order. The car dash said ‘Initiating’ but didn’t get any further. The website said ‘charging’ but the price and kw metering on the website did not move above zero. I tried plugging the cable into car before starting on website and touchscreen and vice versa.

The one I tried today was the Morrison’s in Bromsgrove. The one I tried mid March was the Morrison’s in High Wycombe. It’s difficult to know which charging option the Zap-Map chat comments refer to. Some options have definitely had problems in past but I could not see any reference to recent issues.

Could it be a setting in the car which I have incorrect? Does the car have to be locked to allow charging with Morrison’s chargers?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
I have successfully charged our LEAFs at Bromsgrove and found the unit easy to use even if it is at the far end of the carpark. In the past I have found that using both the screen and the App confuses it, so I stick just to the App.

There's an interesting comment on the Fastned website

Start charge session
The Audi e-tron has regularly problems starting a charge session. This is caused by the fact that the connector does not make a proper contact, which interferes with the communication between the car and the charger.
Our advice is to first start the charge session with the Fastned app or the EV charge card, and then connect the connector to the car. It is important to push the connector firmly into the charge port until the charge session has started. If you experience this problem more often, you should contact your Audi dealer to have the charge port checked.
Perhaps @electricdriver might give you the benefit of his experience?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on using website only and not the screen. The link to the Fast website also appreciated. From reading the Fastned info Perhaps I hadn’t pushed the plug in sufficiently? If the problem is a dirty connection or plug, what can I do? Can the connection or plug be cleaned by the user?

I would be very happy to hear the advice or experience of others, especially if it is with Morrison’s CCS chargers or with Rapid charging the Etron.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
I don't think that it is dirt, just that you need to be assertive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not sure there's much I can add...I have plenty of experience public charging with the eTron over some 20,000 miles, but it has been pleasingly straightforward. I have used Engenie chargers, but not the Morrisons incarnation. I have only had one CCS failure, which was with a very early DBT charger in Northern Ireland which displayed something like the behaviour described - starting successfully and then cutting off within a minute or so stating "charge terminated by vehicle" or some similar message. I gave that up as a bad job as I had heard reports of these early chargers being unreliable.

Otherwise nothing much to help I'm afraid...very occasionally, I have had to re-seat the CCS plug to get a charge to start, but it is pretty obvious if not correctly seated as the locking pin will fail to engage. Nothing like my experiences with the iPace, which over a 1,000 mile test drive failed to charge numerous times and was really quite hard to work with.

Sorry I can't be more help and best of luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your advice. I have since successfully charged at a Morrison’s. I’ve also ordered a Geniepoint RFID card.

I plan to make use of Morrison’s charging points for my mid journey Plan A and Plan B recharge stops on way from Midlands to Cardigan, Pembrokeshire for upcoming holiday. I plan to travel on the Heads of the Valley road and stop at Ross on Wye and if that fails at Crickhowel and failing that at Carmarthen. I figure that this route is shorter than M4 route and avoids the roulette of using Ecotricity points. It’s the first long distance journey I will have done so please shout if you think my planning doesn’t make good sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 55 Etron. I have successfully charged at one or two 50kw CCS rapid chargers, most recently a engenie charger.

However, I have tried two different Morrison’s geniepoint Chargers and, despite repeated efforts I could not get either to work. One would not start and the other started but I cut out after 1 minute.

I thought that this must be incompatibility issue between Geniepoint and Etron. However, I tried a Geniepoint at a local Texaco garage and it worked fine. I really need to find out what I’m doing wrong with the CCS Morrison’s chargers as when I hopefully holiday in July, the only local rapid chargers are at Morrison’s stores.

I’m convinced I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas? I’m using App and not an RFID card but that shouldn’t matter I assume?

Any help appreciated. Thanks
I have just tried to charge my Audi ETron 55 at 2 Morrisons / GeniePoint 50kw CCS chargers in Swansea and Neath and have had the same issues. Reported both chargers to GeniePoint and they said they would review. I am now charging successfully at a Polar 50kw CCS charger in Swansea !

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
I would be very happy to hear the advice or experience of others, especially if it is with Morrison’s CCS chargers or with Rapid charging the Etron.
I have had zero problems charging our i3 on CCS at Morisons Holyhead, Oswestry and Bangor.

Holyhead....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts