·
Registered
MG5
796 Posts
And still exporting 😁

·
Registered
769 Posts
Have the same set up but have a Tesla Powerwall also. The myEnergi products with Zappi and Eddi and Harvi (with hub) are excellent and tie everything together. Cost a bit but saving us loads of money. And now the energy price rises are being felt, the payback from the investment will be much sooner than expected. I would recommend storage batteries (doesn't have to be the Tesla PW) to make it all even more worthwhile.

·
Banned
Ioniq 5
26,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the same set up but have a Tesla Powerwall also. The myEnergi products with Zappi and Eddi and Harvi (with hub) are excellent and tie everything together. Cost a bit but saving us loads of money. And now the energy price rises are being felt, the payback from the investment will be much sooner than expected. I would recommend storage batteries (doesn't have to be the Tesla PW) to make it all even more worthwhile.
I would have got the Powerwall if I could have. Then I could go off grid.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I thought most battery systems could be configured to run off grid.
Yeah. There are several different implementations but pretty much all hybrids inverters can provide power in the eve of an outage.

The Tesla powerwall is particularly poor value per kWh and is a chemistry that could burn your house down (whereas LiFePO4for example is intrinsically safe).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
It feels to me like Tesla have taken the Apple approach to marketing. Put it in a nice box and make out that features that exist in other models are somehow unique to Tesla and people will pay a premium.

I get it with phones (and cars) because they are selling to consumers with no interest/understanding of the technology but to want to buy a battery you must have some interest in energy use and the technology available to help.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,136 Posts
I would have got the Powerwall if I could have. Then I could go off grid.
It's pretty hard to go completely off grid. In the middle of winter the input from the PVs is really tiny and not enough to run a house, even with the help of batteries.
That's based on my 8kW PVs and 9.6 kW battery. With a bigger battery I might get away with being totally off grid from April to October.
That's in Yorkshire. Further south might be a different story.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The Tesla powerwall is particularly poor value per kWh and is a chemistry that could burn your house down (whereas LiFePO4for example is intrinsically safe).
[/QUOTE]

When we got ours, they actually were the best value for money £ per kWh. They are still by some considerable margin, the best selling storage batteries and have been totally reliable with excellent back up/data capabilities. Add in real world things like the Gateway, power cut back up protection and one of the few if not the only home storage batteries that can output at 5kW (with peak maximum of 7kW) then it means that we are off grid 99% of the time from mid March to mid October. And that’s with 2 EVs now. We do have a large solar install though. For most people with other brands of battery, even putting on the kettle, will mean (a tiny amount) of grid use! The myEnergi stuff helps balance it all out, keep an eye on and makes stuff easy to control from the app. And as the OP shows , it helps to save on gas use as well, as the extra solar helps to turn on the immersion heater to warm our water tank up.
And the best advice I can give is not to go via Tesla but contact one of the few Tesla installers (we are based in the uk) directly to get a quote. Tesla have remained very strict who gets to install them. In terms of training etc. No cowboy installers! That saved us a lot. May well be different now. I think there is almost a 1 year wait for a Tesla battery now if you want one due to the energy price crisis/demand out stripping supply.
I guess there is an increased fire risk with the chemistry Compared to the new style battery chemistry. But it is pretty much the same chemistry in all EVs at present. And Tesla themselves are the leaders in the new EV battery tech! Will wait and see what the PW3 brings. (We have the PW2).
Progress and tech never stands still.

·
Banned
Ioniq 5
26,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Totally agree. The Tesla Powerwall would come in around €9000 for 14 kWh, compared to €7000 for my LG battery with 10 ish kWh.

So a bit cheaper per kWh, but with a load of other functions that you get with the Powerwall.

·
Registered
769 Posts
These are from literally a few minutes ago. Beautiful sunny day morning here. The images have posted out of order/sequence.
But essentially generating 4.6-4.7 kW of solar. Tesla battery already full at 100% as did not empty from yesterday evening or overnight as type house uses very little (0.3 to 0.4kW). Has been filling from this morning.
As battery now full, the myEnergi Eddi automatically starts grabbing the excess solar to start heating the water tank at max 3kW or so (like a kettle). But we are still exporting the excess solar back to the grid…which is a waste for us.
EV already plugged in. From the myEnergi app, I can start the car charging (Eco Mode- uses any excess solar to charge car). No need to set up charge timers on the car or Zappi. Now the solar generation is split betweeen the house,EV and immersion. When the immersion reaches temp- it only takes a few minutes then all the excess solar starts going to the EV.
Simple and rather than excellent.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
When we got ours, they actually were the best value for money £ per kWh. They are still by some considerable margin, the best selling storage batteries and have been totally reliable with excellent back up/data capabilities. Add in real world things like the Gateway, power cut back up protection and one of the few if not the only home storage batteries that can output at 5kW (with peak maximum of 7kW) then it means that we are off grid 99% of the time from mid March to mid October. And that’s with 2 EVs now. We do have a large solar install though. For most people with other brands of battery, even putting on the kettle, will mean (a tiny amount) of grid use! The myEnergi stuff helps balance it all out, keep an eye on and makes stuff easy to control from the app. And as the OP shows , it helps to save on gas use as well, as the extra solar helps to turn on the immersion heater to warm our water tank up.
And the best advice I can give is not to go via Tesla but contact one of the few Tesla installers (we are based in the uk) directly to get a quote. Tesla have remained very strict who gets to install them. In terms of training etc. No cowboy installers! That saved us a lot. May well be different now. I think there is almost a 1 year wait for a Tesla battery now if you want one due to the energy price crisis/demand out stripping supply.
I guess there is an increased fire risk with the chemistry Compared to the new style battery chemistry. But it is pretty much the same chemistry in all EVs at present. And Tesla themselves are the leaders in the new EV battery tech! Will wait and see what the PW3 brings. (We have the PW2).
Progress and tech never stands still.
Same here really.

We were put off getting a PowerWall originally by the reports of limited control over when it charges / discharges.

Two things swung it for us - at the time the two best quotes we received were for systems with PW2s, and it can live outside (which ours does).

Ideally we would have a second PW because on sunny days we still end up exporting a lot.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Same here. My installer could do it for a little less than the original install but we would be looking at end of year until he has the time! As we also export a lot after the battery fills and we are at work and the cars are not on charge. However I was thinking when CCS enabled V2Home comes online then our EVs will be the storage batteries so may be no real need to get the 2nd Tesla battery. Still deciding. And V2H still some way off I suspect although Chademo EVs/technical spec allow for this right now with the right equipment.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Same here. My installer could do it for a little less than the original install but we would be looking at end of year until he has the time! As we also export a lot after the battery fills and we are at work and the cars are not on charge. However I was thinking when CCS enabled V2Home comes online then our EVs will be the storage batteries so may be no real need to get the 2nd Tesla battery. Still deciding. And V2H still some way off I suspect although Chademo EVs/technical spec allow for this right now with the right equipment.
We have been holding off as well, on the basis that when we get a full EV it should be at home enough of the time during the day to soak up the spare solar.

Trouble with the GTE is that I always need to charge it up when I get home to have the electric range next time I need it - with a full EV we could set a minimum charge level of maybe 40% so we always have capacity for local journeys, and only charge above that when we have a long journey or excess solar.

Right now getting an EV or a PowerWall seem equally challenging.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The main reason I didn’t go for Powerwall was cost per kWh at the time I looked, the other was that I don’t need 13kWh so even if the unit cost was lower, the overall cost would be higher.

A lot of Powerwall owners seem to promote that it can provide supply during a power cut. Maybe they weren’t told that every other battery inverter on the market can also do this.

Whatever battery system you buy, right now they are still better value than any of the V2H available currently.

·
Banned
Ioniq 5
26,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of Powerwall owners seem to promote that it can provide supply during a power cut. Maybe they weren’t told that every other battery inverter on the market can also do this.
What they don’t tell you is all the other hybrid systems need a gateway installed, unless it’s a permanent off grid system.

The Powerwall comes with the gateway as standard.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts