Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy I-PACE.
I believe that better batteries will arrive to the market in future.
I sit possible to upgrade ? to increase range and so ?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Tesla have allowed it before but I seriously doubt Jaguar would.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It’s a massive battery and the exchange cost, even if possible, would be very high. Better to trade the car in against a newer model I should think.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
There is likely to be a grey market in such things as currently exists around Nissan LEAFs where people fit the more modern/bigger capacity LEAF batteries, batteries from other makes (VW), or just replace the cells with entirely different ones (LG). But the manufacturers do not help with the process.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
There is enough demand for car companies to profit gorge on the car and ignore such pleas.
Until market share reaches the 70 to 80% demand will likely stay that way.
Technically... Yes.
Because profits.... No.

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
407 Posts
In 10-15 years when that iPace is going to be long past EOL and due for retirement, there will no doubt be options out there to swap out the pack from a third party or JLR (if they exist) and can make money from doing it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
A battery switch out would not be cost effective. If you're not OK with 160-190 mile range, you should consider another brand because that is what you'll average in the IPace on a good day!

Mike

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It would also assume that the rest of the vehicle's systems are OK with a battery of different size and different technology. It is likely that there would be a good few changes to the rest of the vehicle at the same time as the new battery is introduced, so lots of opportunity for incompatibilities. The car manufacturer would need to invest a lot of engineering time to facilitate such an upgrade, when they know most people will look at the cost and say "No chance, mate".

·
Registered
497 Posts
I could tell you but the batteries in my crystal ball have gone flat, do you know if better batteries could be fitted to my balls

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
It's possible to replace a 3 cylinder petrol in a Toyota Aygo with a V6 diesel engine but most owners don't and there is no Toyota "factory' support for such an "upgrade" either.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I reckon it will become the equivalent of puting a bigger engine in an ICE today.

Something for the enthusiast market.
Exactly this. Very few people fit a brand new ICE engine with modern tech to an old ICE car, because by the time the car is old enough for it to be a big enough improvement to bother, the car is old enough that its not really a financially viable option. It ends up a niche thing for car enthusiasts who do it for the fun of doing it. Certainly would never be offered by the vehicle manufacturer.

It works with the LEAF because the car underneath hasnt changed for 10 years and the newer batteries bolt right up, but even then its questionably viable financially. If you've got a 2011 leaf with a ruined battery thats worth maybe 5 grand, you could spend 5-6+ thousand pounds buying a battery from a write off and having it fitted to the car, but your now 11 grand into the car, its not worth anything like that (potentially its now harder to sell than before), and it certainly doesnt have warranty support etc should anything go wrong with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's possible to replace a 3 cylinder petrol in a Toyota Aygo with a V6 diesel engine but most owners don't and there is no Toyota "factory' support for such an "upgrade" either.
Moving from a petrol to diesel is surely a downgrade...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
depends on which attribute your measuring... A nice big v6 diesel is torquey and pretty smooth (for a diesel) and produces gobs of power while still returning pretty good fuel consumption. They are popular for good reason.

And apologies, this is a 5 month old thread which i bumped without noticing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts