Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install an EV charger at my new house. The location will be right next to the electric meter (which is outside in an electric meter cupboard). Rather than taking the electric connection from the consumer unit (which is quite a bit further away), is it possible to add a single fuse switch in the electric meter cupboard (or next to it) which then allows the EV charger to be connected directly to it, rather than connected to the consumer unit which is much further away?

Effectively, I would have two consumer units coming off the electric meter. The main house one which has all the fuses and a second one which has a single fuse (inside the electric meter cupboard) and then that is connected to the EV charger.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My son's 'Podpoint' was installed exactly like that.

It's simply a case of intercepting the supply cables to the existing CU with 'Henley Blocks' to tee off feed to new mini CU. A very simple job if meter cupboard already has isolator switches; a bit harder if it doesn't.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
You aren't supposed to install your own equipment in the meter cupboard so you will need to insert a service connection block in the tails to the existing consumer unit so you can connect a second one for the charger.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I want to install an EV charger at my new house. The location will be right next to the electric meter (which is outside in an electric meter cupboard). Rather than taking the electric connection from the consumer unit (which is quite a bit further away), is it possible to add a single fuse switch in the electric meter cupboard (or next to it) which then allows the EV charger to be connected directly to it, rather than connected to the consumer unit which is much further away?

Effectively, I would have two consumer units coming off the electric meter. The main house one which has all the fuses and a second one which has a single fuse (inside the electric meter cupboard) and then that is connected to the EV charger.
That is exactly what I have. Henley blocks in the external meter box, between meter and CU. Mini CU in the meter box containing breaker / RCBO for EV charger

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This is often done by installers, apart from reasons to do with location/cable runs, another reason can be so they don't have to take responsibility for the condition of the existing CU, or to avoid the cost of replacing an unsuitable CU. .

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
689 Posts
Yep, mine's like that too. Seems completely normal if the supply / meter box is adjacent to where you want the wallbox - it's a neat solution.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is how my charger was installed earlier this year.

Two installers told me that it wouldn't be possible to run it from the external meter cupboard and it would have to go through the house CU (something I wanted to avoid). The installer that I ended up using said there was no need for it to come from the house CU and ran it directly from the meter cupboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is how my charger was installed earlier this year.

Two installers told me that it wouldn't be possible to run it from the external meter cupboard and it would have to go through the house CU (something I wanted to avoid). The installer that I ending up using said there was no need for it to come from the house CU and ran it directly from the meter cupboard.
Hi - can I ask who you went with to get this done? This option is my preference for my home due to my fuse box being in an awkward spot. It will mean running cable around the outside of my entire house as the meter is located at the furthest point possible from where the charger would go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi - can I ask who you went with to get this done? This option is my preference for my home due to my fuse box being in an awkward spot. It will mean running cable around the outside of my entire house as the meter is located at the furthest point possible from where the charger would go.
I used Smart Home Charge; very happy with the service. A fair amount of extra work was needed because of how the equipment already in the meter cupboard had been installed. This added several hours to the job but it was all sorted at no extra cost to me.

@[email protected] is a forum member. (y)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
In my son's case, Peugeot were offering a free wallbox and contracted PodPoint to fit it. No special requirements were made but when the PodPoint fitter arrived he asked if it would be OK to take his feed directly from the meter cabinet rather than drill through the (solid) wall to connect to the CU directly behind. I (house-sitting for the day) thought that made perfect sense so let him get on with it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doh, the electrician I was hoping to use has said it needs to be run to fuse board as he would need an external board to make this comply. I found this electrician as he dropped a flyer through my postbox. I haven't had any work done by him yet but he is fully qualified, polite and has good communication which ticks the main boxes.

Given so many EV owners have had their chargers connected via the electric meter rather than the main consumer unit, is it best if I find another qualified electrician willing to do this or is there anything I can explain to him (e.g. if his statement about compliance misunderstood)?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Doh, the electrician I was hoping to use has said it needs to be run to fuse board as he would need an external board to make this comply.
Yes, but the "external board" would be a small enclosure with a suitable RCBO, or MCB+RCD fitted.
Might also need to be IP67 depending how well sealed the meter box is. No big deal as long as there's space

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, but the "external board" would be a small enclosure with a suitable RCBO, or MCB+RCD fitted.
Might also need to be IP67 depending how well sealed the meter box is. No big deal as long as there's space
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob with this kind of thing. Are you able to explain in more layman terms? I'm not sure what an external board is. My electric meter is outside the property in the usual white electric cabinet box. I have a smart meter in there which is quite small so there's a huge amount of space inside the box. If I wanted the EV charger not to be connected to the main consumer unit, then I assume I need (not sure what the correct term is here) a mini consumer unit with a single RCD that is just for the EV charger. I am hoping that mini CU can go inside the electric meter box. If there is some regulation reason why it can't go inside the electric meter box, the how about a separate small water proof box that I can install on the side of the house?

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob with this kind of thing. Are you able to explain in more layman terms? I'm not sure what an external board is. My electric meter is outside the property in the usual white electric cabinet box. I have a smart meter in there which is quite small so there's a huge amount of space inside the box. If I wanted the EV charger not to be connected to the main consumer unit, then I assume I need (not sure what the correct term is here) a mini consumer unit with a single RCD that is just for the EV charger. I am hoping that mini CU can go inside the electric meter box. If there is some regulation reason why it can't go inside the electric meter box, the how about a separate small water proof box that I can install on the side of the house?
The "mini CU" certainly CAN go inside the external meter box. Especially if there is a Smart Meter ( SMETS2?) already fitted.
Regardless of absolute rules about this, most parties agree to rub along and just get on with it. Best to get a different sparky if you have a pedant on the job. On the IP requirements, those meter boxes provide adequate weather protection for ordinary electrical switchgear.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

Yes yes yes, what you are proposing is common and commonsense.👍

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If I wanted the EV charger not to be connected to the main consumer unit, then I assume I need (not sure what the correct term is here) a mini consumer unit with a single RCD that is just for the EV charger.
Yes, exactly. Depending on the charger and cabling requirements you may or may not need the RCD, but as a minimum it will need overcurrent protection via a 32 or 40A MCB, and a double pole isolator.

For example something like this, but with only one MCB fitted

For something smaller, an RCD+MCB fitted in this enclosure would be an option

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something I forgot to mention, although I've owned the EV charger since new, it is being moved from the previous location. So the installation won't be of a fresh new EV charger.

Should I be receiving some electrical certificate for the electricians work for this installation?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts