Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all the problem i am up against is .
I am an Electrician of over 40 years and thought it would be good to get an all electric van so i bought a Rolec Homesmart EV 7kw charging unit from CEF and installed it as BS7671 Standards that was the easy part.
Van arrived tuesday and thought it would be easy to log on the the EV energy app but it stops me as the require an grant approved installer it seems so i have the hard ware in place but cant operate it.
There is no will to help on this matter from Rolec or email support.
Can some one out there shine a light and help
i feel the only way forward is to let some company claim the grant by checking my work manship and take on warranty issues if they arise for there efforts to register the unit.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There are plenty of scenarios where a charger would be installed without the OLEV grant, so hard to imagine it can't be set up without.
If there is a real issue, then unless it was made clear at the time of sale, you'd have grounds to return it as not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks mike. there was no information in packaging but was given a link on Rolec setup and commissioning and this I turn let me input serial number of unit did that at 8 last night and bingo all set up and working but Rolec didn’t pass on any help or ev.energy which it goes through there set up stages to fail.
its 7 o’clock and full charge is showing. Haven’t tried cheap rate option will do that next weekend just in case it doesn’t charge not on a work day. The van I must say is brilliant did a 80 mile motor way journey for the first time not holding back on speed showing 31 miles left that’s the longest trip required

·
Registered
9 Posts
The unit didn’t switch to green on plugging in gun. no contractor operation unless you reset rccb at supply Then operated and no app control with ev.energy now resolved

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
OP, any particular reason why you didn't install a dumb charger ?. It might have been a better match for a non grant instal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i believe dumb chargers are no longer wanted in the system and more control on your energy costs can be achieved plus the one i went for complies to the latest BS7671 Requirements for Electrical installations. true or not its now a fixture and at last my issues have been put to bed even though not by help from Rolec.

·
Registered
394 Posts
@TRUSTWORTHY100 can you post the link/info needed to register the smart controller? I am thinking of getting my older Rolec upgraded to the smart version, so will not be eligible for an OLEV grant (already had an OLEV grant for the original install) so will be just getting my local sparky to do it and he's not in the OLEV scheme. What info will he or I need to get the app connected? TIA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
In the end it was a call to Rolec technical support giving them the serial and model number they do the hardware and ev.energy do the soft ware . They will require the electrician to go through a wholesaler like CEF they won't sell too you only through a 3rd party. the 2g modem in the unit didn't work well and a shark fin was required to get app to work more reliably. I went through that extra pain and wired that in to day it now appears to be more robust now.

I think it would be best to upgrade to the new unit as it covers all BS7671 recommendations and that is very important as I don't think any Electrician will install any that don't conform to this.

Sorry but that's all the help I can give but now I should be a happier with the whole experience.
The Electric van I think is a game changer for my use as its always got the milage in I require each day.
I love the eNV200 now I've made the change.Covered 600 miles in it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts