Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on my first charge-away-from-home trip yesterday, charging at a BP Pulse charger with three cables - CCS, CHAdeMO and 43 kW AC.

My car (2020 Zoe) can charge from either CCS or the 43 kW (though it seemed more like 20 kW when I tried), but I assume if someone else is charging, I can’t charge at the same time with the other cable?

The UI on the display makes it look like it’s only one at the time, so that would be my assumption. But I met two other newbie EV drivers who both seemed to assume it was possible, so wanted to double check.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
The BP charger what you describe can only charge one car at a time.. there are other charge providers who's units can do CCS and a type 2 at the same time but the 50kw BP ones can't.
Also your Zoe will only pull upto 50kw from the CCS cable... If you connect to the type 2 43kw the Zoe can only pull a max of 22kw on that.
Some Earlier versions of the Zoe, the Q variant, could charge at 43kw but the majority, R variant, maxed out at 22kw. So always use CCS if available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Great to get it confirmed and also to get details on the 22 kW number. Used that cable for a while waiting to get through to customer support to reboot the charger to re-enable CCS. Display showed kWhs delivered and time elapsed so I could indeed see it was only around 20.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
It's a pity dealers don't explain stuff like charging rates on CCS and type 2 when the vehicle is handed over or being ordered.

Also note that those figures are max pull rates.
If your battery has only say 15% charge left and the ambient temp of the battery is warm, as it's summer, it will pull about 45ish KW from the CCS.. but this tappers down as the battery fills up. To protect it.
If you had a battery at say 50% it would probably only be pulling 30ish KW from CCS.
Most new users think it will pull max charge rates when in actual fact they don't.

If you have a very cold battery in winter the pull will be nowhere near the top rate and will take longer to charge . This is normal so don't panic when you discover this happening.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,373 Posts
It's a pity dealers don't explain stuff like charging rates on CCS and type 2 when the vehicle is handed over or being ordered.
That's because they have even less clue about that than their buyer, who will at least have read a bit about the charging aspect of EV ownership. And at the selling stage, dealers will deliberately avoid any conversation that might be seen as a negative by a customer if things such as charge speed slowing down at times were explained.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
851 Posts
That's because they have even less clue about that than their buyer, who will at least have read a bit about the charging aspect of EV ownership. And at the selling stage, dealers will deliberately avoid any conversation that might be seen as a negative by a customer if things such as charge speed slowing down at times were explained.
Good point..and so true.
I must admit I would make a crap salesman as I would want them to know the facts about ev ownership..

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
451 Posts
It would also be helpful if salesmen told customers that charging to 80% on a rapid then moving on and charging again later if required makes more sense as regards overall time, then we wouldn't get chargers blocked by folk going to 100% on rapids

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
The BP charger what you describe can only charge one car at a time.. there are other charge providers who's units can do CCS and a type 2 at the same time but the 50kw BP ones can't.
Also your Zoe will only pull upto 50kw from the CCS cable... If you connect to the type 2 43kw the Zoe can only pull a max of 22kw on that.
Some Earlier versions of the Zoe, the Q variant, could charge at 43kw but the majority, R variant, maxed out at 22kw. So always use CCS if available.
As it came up elsewhere, it might be worth mentioning.

Because the Zoe can charge at 22kW AC, there are occasionally times when it makes more sense to use an AC point than CCS. If you’re going to be stopped for lunch, maybe a good 40 mins or so, if there’s a 22kW post available it’s worth considering using that rather than CCS. The logic is that you don’t have to rush to unplug it, you also leave the CCS charger available for someone else to use. Not always the case but sometimes the AC option is also cheaper.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Also worth noting that some CCS chargers also have AC charge points that can both be used at the same time. Exactly as @idiotzoo mentions, it makes a great deal of sense to use the AC charge point with a Zoe if stopping for lunch and a charge. As there aren't many cars with fast AC chargers, it seems only polite for those that do to use them when they can and free up the CCS for use by others.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
The E-volt chargers can do one43kw AC and one DC but not two DC.

At the Stirling hub there are about 40 22kw AC posts to keep ZOE owners happy while leaving the 4, AC/DC posts free for CCs & Chademo EVs.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts