Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Nooooooooooooo' is probably the answer, but just in case there is an adaptor cable or other magical electrical device that starts with a type 2 plugged into the wall box, and ends with a 3 pin plug socket that I could connect a power washer/hedge trimmer etc to? I know its 7kw coming out of the box but wondering if there was a step down type thing that people might use?

I am having my wall box fitted soon and likely will ask the fitter to also add an outside two gang plug socket whilst they are drilling through the exterior wall anyway, so I can have power outside the house. But its an EO wall box and so I'd rather a nice uncluttered install if by any chance there was no need for the plug sockets.

Sorry I am sure this might have been asked before but it is hard to search for accurately. Thanks.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,625 Posts
There is a signal cable built into the plug and until the unit received the signal then no power will flow. There may be a way around this with some nifty circuitry but I'm not aware of it. My old Rolec had a space that you could instal a 13 amp standard socket in place of the plug holster.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
Erm, why?

Do you not have plugs in your house?

Just have the electrician fit an exterior wall socket. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
645 Posts
Don't worry about the 7kW. That's just how much power it can handle. If a 1kW load is plugged in, it will only draw 1kW.

But yeah. As others have said, there's no way to plug a normal 13A plug in. You'll need the electrician to fit a separate socket.

I have a 32A Commando socket, into which I can plug a Commando > 13A adapter, but that's because it's just a dumb old socket. Your Type 2 socket can only have an EV plugged in.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
It isn't really a cost effective Idea, you would be as well to just pay and electrician to fit an outdoor 13A socket (which adds value to home) but an adapter does exist - see link below. Technically it probably doesn't comply with rules, but is generally considered to be safe.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
an adapter does exist - see link below.
£140.
But its an EO wall box and so I'd rather a nice uncluttered install if by any chance there was no need for the plug sockets.
So is appearance worth £140 less whatever extra having the outside sockets added is?

You'll also lose some convenience as if the car is charging you can't use your power tools, and if it isn't you'll still need to get the adaptor set up first ... having found and untangled it of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T2 > UK 13A
Ho yesh!! Thats only just bloody perfect, thanks!

£140.
So is appearance worth £140 less whatever extra having the outside sockets added is?
Yes.

I charge at work and so a lot of the time the untethered EO box will be sitting unused. I just agreed with my sparky that it can be fitted with no visible wires at all, directly connecting through the back plate and into the house. Without being fancy it is an old chocolate box cottage, a nice (?navy blue) EO mini sitting on its own will look good I think, a cable leading to a 2 gang 3 pin would detract in this situation, as useful as it would be.

Having an adaptor that allows me to plug stuff in will give me extra flexibility, I can take it to my next house, and my quote to fit the 2 gang plug was £100. So I'm buying one.

Many thanks folks :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
'Nooooooooooooo' is probably the answer, but just in case there is an adaptor cable or other magical electrical device that starts with a type 2 plugged into the wall box, and ends with a 3 pin plug socket that I could connect a power washer/hedge trimmer etc to? I know its 7kw coming out of the box but wondering if there was a step down type thing that people might use?

I am having my wall box fitted soon and likely will ask the fitter to also add an outside two gang plug socket whilst they are drilling through the exterior wall anyway, so I can have power outside the house. But its an EO wall box and so I'd rather a nice uncluttered install if by any chance there was no need for the plug sockets.

Sorry I am sure this might have been asked before but it is hard to search for accurately. Thanks.
Yes, an adaptor can be purchased off the shelf search under Twizy. They are used to charge Renault Twizys from public type 2 sockets.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Electrically it's trivial, 1 resistor across CP line & Earth is all that's needed to signal "current please" to the EVSE. So you could easily replace an old Type 1 or 2 car plug with a 13A socket.

But you have to be sure you don't take more current than the EVSE offers. So e.g. a Zappi would be quite entitled to open the contactors if you drew say 10A when it was only offering 8!
But I don't know if any EVSEs do actually check the current being drawn?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, an adaptor can be purchased off the shelf search under Twizy. They are used to charge Renault Twizys from public type 2 sockets.
Thanks, interesting. Like this one but £240. Do quite like the idea of a Twizy at some point..

·
Registered
671 Posts
I got my sparky to install a regular 13A socket in my Rolec HomeSmart WallPod, works a treat and doesn't take up any more space than the original unit.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
So e.g. a Zappi would be quite entitled to open the contactors if you drew say 10A when it was only offering 8!
But I don't know if any EVSEs do actually check the current being drawn?
Interesting question, and what would they do if the "car" actually exceeded the limit? Presumably shut off the current as an error situation.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Interesting question, and what would they do if the "car" actually exceeded the limit? Presumably shut off the current as an error situation.
That's what they should do! :) How many actually do is another thing. They'd need a current transformer fitting to measure the actual amps taken. Rolecs won't care less, Podpoints probably not, from what I've seen of the insides.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That’s what the RCBO is for.

Where most units fall down is for an untethered cable that is rated less than the RCBO. Although they signal to the car that only as much current as the cable can take is available they don’t actually protect the cable if the car draws too much.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
That’s what the RCBO is for.

Where most units fall down is for an untethered cable that is rated less than the RCBO. Although they signal to the car that only as much current as the cable can take is available they don’t actually protect the cable if the car draws too much.
So if the OP plugs his adapter into either of our charge points he can draw at least 40 Amps before the cut outs work. I hope that the wiring on the adaptor is up to that. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts