Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MG ZS EV Exclusive with all the current upgrades installed.
I have a BP Chargemaster home unit (7Kw)
I am using Their Chargevision App.
I can charge on demand (immediate)
I can program a schedule time
When the schedule time arrives I CANNOT make the car accept a charge.
The App reports all the Kwh uses and costs and appears to be working correctly.
Help Please can anyone give me a clue as to what I might be missing, it's driving (sic) me bloody crazy and I bet I am missing "the bleedin' obvious" (John Cleese).

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you use the granny charger, turn off at mains, plug it in to mains and car, lock the car. Wait five minutes. Turn on at the mains.

Does the car charge? If no, unlock car, lock car, does it start charging? If this is the case, your car did get the timed update fix from back in January. If your car doesn't start charging it's missing the update.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
There is a new BMS update that was released in the last few days, which may help. Contact your dealer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks @MikeProcter . Do we think this latest update provides genuine timed charging where car wakes up and starts charging at designated time (without trickle charging, or any third party components)? I've been putting off upgrading my dumb charger but will proceed if the issue has finally been resolved.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have the 32Amp older dumb Rolec unit.
I went down the Sonoff WiFi switch route at about £10 from EBay and the install only takes about 30mins.
The car had received the standard software update prior to collection on the 6th Jan 20.
Delayed charge can then be set from the App on your phone.
Your friendly “Spark” could fit the Sonoff in less than 1 hour and you are good to go !.
Only carry out the work yourself if you feel confident in doing so and the system has been fully isolated of course !.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you use the granny charger, turn off at mains, plug it in to mains and car, lock the car. Wait five minutes. Turn on at the mains.

Does the car charge? If no, unlock car, lock car, does it start charging? If this is the case, your car did get the timed update fix from back in January. If your car doesn't start charging it's missing the update.
Thanks Paul and other helpers,

I unlocked the car , plugged in the granny charger and didn't connect the plug in the garage (mains), I don't have a switched socket.
Locked the car and left for 15 mins.
Plugged into the mains and Viola it started charging, unlocked the car and it stopped, got in, locked the door behind me and charging resumed.
So from what you said I do have the charging update?

I also did pretty much the same, switched off at the mains my BP Chargemaster unit, plugged the locked car in and after 2 hours switched on at the mains. After some light flashing on the charger unit, some kind of WiFi registering I guess the 7Kw started to flow, stopped charging by unlocking the car, started charging by re-locking the car.

So all methods of instant charging work.

What next, the App?

Thanks Steve

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So either the chargemaster unit is faulty or out of spec or something, because timed charging works with an Ohme or Zappi. Fortunately for me the whole timed charge fiasco became fully known before I ordered a charger to be installed.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
So either the chargemaster unit is faulty or out of spec or something, because timed charging works with an Ohme or Zappi. Fortunately for me the whole timed charge fiasco became fully known before I ordered a charger to be installed.
The Zappi or the Ohme I believe will carry out delayed charging on the ZS EV if it has the update done.
It would appear by the checks you have carried out, that yours has been done.
So, delayed / timed charging shhould be possible straight out of the box.
The Pod Point or the older dumb Rolec units will perform delayed charging, but you will need a "Work Around" fix with a Wi-Fi switch installed in the unit.
These switches are controlled from an "App" on your phone.
I use this system to carry out overnight charging on an Eco 7 off peak rate.
There is an instant charge button on the "App" also.

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
Thanks @MikeProcter . Do we think this latest update provides genuine timed charging where car wakes up and starts charging at designated time (without trickle charging, or any third party components)? I've been putting off upgrading my dumb charger but will proceed if the issue has finally been resolved.
Yes, I can confirm that the update enables the car to go to sleep and then to wake up and charge at the set time. I did have to be up at 1.30am and at 2.00am to watch the car wake up, charge and then turn itself off.....it started charging again at 2.30am. It was worth the effort as my wife whose car it is was highly sceptical that anything would happen after earlier failures.

·
Paul Harrington
41 Posts
The Zappi or the Ohme I believe will carry out delayed charging on the ZS EV if it has the update done.
It would appear by the checks you have carried out, that yours has been done.
So, delayed / timed charging shhould be possible straight out of the box.
The Pod Point or the older dumb Rolec units will perform delayed charging, but you will need a "Work Around" fix with a Wi-Fi switch installed in the unit.
These switches are controlled from an "App" on your phone.
I use this system to carry out overnight charging on an Eco 7 off peak rate.
There is an instant charge button on the "App" also.
Yes the OHME does work following the upd

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Paul and other helpers,

I unlocked the car , plugged in the granny charger and didn't connect the plug in the garage (mains), I don't have a switched socket.
Locked the car and left for 15 mins.
Plugged into the mains and Viola it started charging, unlocked the car and it stopped, got in, locked the door behind me and charging resumed.
So from what you said I do have the charging update?

I also did pretty much the same, switched off at the mains my BP Chargemaster unit, plugged the locked car in and after 2 hours switched on at the mains. After some light flashing on the charger unit, some kind of WiFi registering I guess the 7Kw started to flow, stopped charging by unlocking the car, started charging by re-locking the car.

So all methods of instant charging work.

What next, the App?

Thanks Steve
I wonder if your WiFi signal is strong enough. I had this problem with my Pod Point charger and had to get a signal booster to guarantee the app would register the charge every time. My charge point is quite a distance from my WiFi hub and wasn't always connecting to the internet.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wonder if your WiFi signal is strong enough. I had this problem with my Pod Point charger and had to get a signal booster to guarantee the app would register the charge every time. My charge point is quite a distance from my WiFi hub and wasn't always connecting to the internet.
Thanks Norfolk & Others,
The Chargevision app I use is on a desktop Mac, I will investigate the WiFi aspect but how to prove it is a bit beyond my tender years (well I'm sore about it). The app allows me to make up different schedules for every day, any day with start time & stop time and max charge etc. and gives me a great big green tick with success but when the clock comes round nothing happens.

When I do a manual charge the App dashboard shows duration, start time, stop time, amount of charge, how much it has cost etc. so the charger must be reporting to base for it to appear in my App.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I upgraded my dumb wallbox from Polar/Chargemaster by plugging in an Ohme cable as it was untethered.

Reactions: WalkingBootWeather

·
Registered
92 Posts
For clarity, could people mention which updates they are talking about.

December 2019 or June 2020 or ?last few days?

Confusion could be a pain in the bum for people using this thread, now or in months to come.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a new BMS update that was released in the last few days, which may help. Contact your dealer.
@MikeProcter Hi Mike, Is this separate from the Comfort Upgrade? I 'm hoping to get that done in the next week or two, so do I need to make sure the dealer does both? (A little puzzled because I seem to remember something about charging improvements in the letter from the MG bigwig that was posted here.)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
@MikeProcter Hi Mike, Is this separate from the Comfort Upgrade? I 'm hoping to get that done in the next week or two, so do I need to make sure the dealer does both? (A little puzzled because I seem to remember something about charging improvements in the letter from the MG bigwig that was posted here.)
Yes. Separate update.This is the 3rd BMS update.1st in December, 2nd in January and 3rd beginning of July.
the 3rd one is to help Rolec charger for smart timed charging.

I don’t understand why it won’t help all other chargers, but I’m informed it’s just to help Rolec and possibly Pod-Point.

As it’s a rewrite of the type 2 code to make it more compliant with the standard, I see no reason why it shouldn’t be applied to all cars.
@Miles Roberts?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
A little puzzled because I seem to remember something about charging improvements in the letter from the MG bigwig that was posted here.
Which letter was that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an MG ZS EV Exclusive with all the current upgrades installed.
I have a BP Chargemaster home unit (7Kw)
I am using Their Chargevision App.
I can charge on demand (immediate)
I can program a schedule time
When the schedule time arrives I CANNOT make the car accept a charge.
The App reports all the Kwh uses and costs and appears to be working correctly.
Help Please can anyone give me a clue as to what I might be missing, it's driving (sic) me bloody crazy and I bet I am missing "the bleedin' obvious" (John Cleese).

Do you have an Ethernet over power network in you home?, we have seen these cause charging issues in the past, the "noise" they can inject on the mains supply can sometimes affect the vehicles on board charger? if you are using these unplug them over night and see if the vehicle then charges OK?
MG did have a software bug when used with scheduled timers with some EVSE (a few do try to wake the vehicle up if it does not begin to charge within a short time but others dont). MG were very responsive and did an update early on but I dont think this was the real issue with timed charging in all cases and only affected the chargers that dont implement a wakeup retry!

II would not rule out a non complaint device (mains adapter?) you may have plugged in somewhere that is extremely noisy?

Over the years I have investigated a number of charging issues with various EV's and I have to say MG have been far more helpfull and supportive than most, One manufacturer in particular the leasing company had to step in to get them to replace the KLE modules on a number of vehicles as the manufacturer was in complete denial of the fault.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks EVSEDOC Cane,

I have just seen your answer, are you in Holland, Holland??? That is all way above my pay grade but I am grateful for your help.

Before I saw your answer I thought I might have another go, but this time using my mobile phone (android), this seems to have moved me forward somewhat, my car started charging (4 mins late) the mobile app says "your charger does not appear to be connected" but the green charger light is on I have programmed 1 hour or 3Kwh max, the car is nearly full so I can't go mad. (well yes I can actually, but in a different sense).

Would you believe that at 3.3Kwh the charge stopped with 35 mins to go on the timer. It seems to be working!!!!!!!

I have hereto been trying to charge on my iMac but this test was using my phone, have I been trying the impossible or should I be able to charge using my computer or my phone?

I have just looked at the iMAC Chargevision App and it shows all the schedule settings I have just used on my phone, so I assume that I should be able to do it on the computer, although in the FAQ's it does say make sure your phone has mobile network signal.

Thanks for your time and help.

ps I have just figured Ethernet over power etc. the answer is no but I am using an old router, as a signal router extension. I hope you understand.

Regards & Thanks

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts