Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All official announcements appear to categorically state that useable battery is 52 kWh but doubts appear to be circulating (particularly in light of Bjorn's YouTube video).

Has anyone attempted charging to full from empty battery or driving until battery depleted on order to confirm? Lots of French and German videos on

YouTube but my language skills are somewhat lacking. Could it be that there is actually a lot of redundancy when you reach "0%" and that in fact 52 kWh is useable.

On the brink of ordering one but if it turns out that only 48 wkh is useable, I might as well buy an e corsa.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Whilst I wouldn't choose a car based on 'useable' capacity....

Having a car stop dead at 0% may well be the way many prefer it, me included.

However, most people are used to a fuel gauge going to zero, then doing another 30 miles.

So that is how many are set up.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,405 Posts
I have no stake in this discussion, nor any decent measurement or facts to add. However (for instance), we do see types driving it empty and then measuring how much energy it takes charging to full, thus completely ignoring inefficiencies, cooling, running computers, measurement errors because weird waveforms. And that is just the top of the iceberg. Even defining "full" or "empty" is quite the art, or put otherwise, for a large part set by parameters programmed in the BMS. And no, CCS is not the holy grail on that one, unless claimer has intimate knowledge on how the post is operating.

Personally, I value range more than kWh, let alone some "but we're being lied to" theories. Unfortunately, wind, rain and temperature totally overwhelm any lay man's capacity test.

Bottom line: I would be very careful with these sort of video's and forums (and that includes my my own entries!).

ps: Doing CanZE development I have to deal with those Dunning-Kruger types, who often have never accomplished something themselves, quite a bit more than I wish for. I am probably having a bad day with these, so pardon the chagrin if perceived. Nothing to see here, carry on ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the useable battery capacity cannot be confirmed, has anyone tested range from fully charged to near depleted?

Anyone able to comment on the German YouTube range tests?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have no stake in this discussion, nor any decent measurement or facts to add. However (for instance), we do see types driving it empty and then measuring how much energy it takes charging to full, thus completely ignoring inefficiencies, cooling, running computers, measurement errors because weird waveforms. And that is just the top of the iceberg. Even defining "full" or "empty" is quite the art, or put otherwise, for a large part set by parameters programmed in the BMS. And no, CCS is not the holy grail on that one, unless claimer has intimate knowledge on how the post is operating.

Personally, I value range more than kWh, let alone some "but we're being lied to" theories. Unfortunately, wind, rain and temperature totally overwhelm any lay man's capacity test.

Bottom line: I would be very careful with these sort of video's and forums (and that includes my my own entries!).

ps: Doing CanZE development I have to deal with those Dunning-Kruger types, who often have never accomplished something themselves, quite a bit more than I wish for. I am probably having a bad day with these, so pardon the chagrin if perceived. Nothing to see here, carry on ;)
I know I am an idiot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No one is upset if the range meter says zero miles remaining but they're still moving. Everyone would be upset if the range meter said 1 or more miles left but the car came to a complete stop and would go no further. Guess which the car makers choose to do.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Renault say the battery has 52kWh usable and it is widely reported (but not officially) that the total capacity is around 55kWh.

Some random person on internet driving it to "flat" isn't a great indication of range as will depend on type of driving, weather etc.

I am confident most drivers could get over 200 miles in mild weather (no heating) driving at steady 65MPH. Renault say real world range in winter is 150 miles but (based on ZE40) I suspect it should be possible to achieve a bit more.

Renault have added a range estimator for the ZE50 at link below but I am not sure it has been correctly updated yet. Hopefully it will work properly soon.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the useable battery capacity cannot be confirmed, has anyone tested range from fully charged to near depleted?

Anyone able to comment on the German YouTube range tests?
What exactly would you like to know? What is your concern?

It does about 180 km if driven in the dead of winter at 145km/h (full heating, no eco mode).
It can do probably more than 400 km if driven carefully in late spring in town (eco mode).

If the distance shown on the guess-o-meter is 0km, then it is 0km. Some manufacturers, Renault included, don't even show a number when the estimated range is below 5km, to force the driver to look for a charging station.

One thing I would like to highlight with people that think Opel eCorsa or Peugeot e208 are great is that those two brands had rather limited experience with electric drive trains and their advertisements may not be 100% accurate. People claimed that e-Tron and Taycan will take market share from Tesla, but apparently their know-how in the ICEV manufacturing doesn't translate that well into BEV manufacturing and I fear the same is with PSA Group (Opel and Peugeot), they only took drive trains from other manufacturers mostly.

1kWh in the Taycan does not take you the same distance as 1kWh in a Tesla, and 1kWh from ZE50 will probably take you a very different distance than 1kWh from e-Corsa, because the cars have different drag coefficients, different weights, different consumption rates, different motor efficiencies, different battery chemistries. The same battery capacity does not translate into the same range.

At 5%, Zoe will tell you that you need to charge. At 3% it will start "red alert mode", and it will nag you every minute to recharge the battery. At 0,99% the car will probably go into "limp mode" (limited performance) and at 0% it will stop. It's pretty much similar to your phone. There is no buffer.

In 4 years of driving a car with a less than half the battery capacity than ZE50, I never reached "limp mode", below 1%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts