Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone can sell me a full size wheel from the MG ZS EV I would be very grateful. I want a full size spare, so please don't lecture me on a space saver!

If anyone could help I would be very grateful and I can pay cash and collect.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Just buy a brand new steel wheel.

Whats the rim size, bolting pattern, hub center hole, offset. Hint, you can find this information on wheel and rim database dot com.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
considering the price of the spare wheel kit is now £230 on ebay from Cambridge MG/B&S, £239 is in the same order of magnitude.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I enquired and was quoted £239 for a wheel without tyre
Are you sure they have not quoted you the price of the space saver by a mistake? That is the exact price they quoted me and then they realised they had made a mistake and it was for the space saver. What part number did they give you? £239 sounds very reasonable.

·
Journeyman Human
440 Posts
6.5Jx17 ET41 5x112 M12 x 1.5 56.1
Late, I know, but this needs correcting, I've just upgraded my wheels, so know this inside out.

The correct wheel spec for the ZS EV is 7Jx17 ET41 PCD: 5x112 Bolts: M14x1.5 (60 degree tapered seat bolts) Centre bore is 57.1

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you sure they have not quoted you the price of the space saver by a mistake? That is the exact price they quoted me and then they realised they had made a mistake and it was for the space saver. What part number did they give you? £239 sounds very reasonable.
I asked for a price for both, the spacesaver was £249, but I scrounged a discount

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Late, I know, but this needs correcting, I've just upgraded my wheels, so know this inside out.

The correct wheel spec for the ZS EV is 7Jx17 ET41 PCD: 5x112 Bolts: M14x1.5 (60 degree tapered seat bolts) Centre bore is 57.1
Brilliant info @Favguy
Pictures PLEASE !.
And some info on your wheel and tyre choice would be great.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The space saver used on the ZS EV ( only ) is taken from either old HS air GS model I believe ?.
The ZS EV must therefore have the same hubs / stud spacing etc as used on this older model.
Would it not be possible to locate a full sized wheel and tyre from a breakers lard then ?.
Much cheaper than a main dealer supplied wheel and then a brand new tyre just to leave in the boot as a spare ?.
Just saying !.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No part number heard as he was going down the parts list mumbling away to himself, just price of both items

·
Journeyman Human
440 Posts
Brilliant info @Favguy
Pictures PLEASE !.
And some info on your wheel and tyre choice would be great.
18x8J ET40 Audi wheels. (From a 2017 A4 Quattro) They need reduction spigots from 66.6 to 57.1 inserting and then fit right on. They also need to have VAG bolts as they use a radiused seat, whereas MG wheels use 60 degree conical.

Tyres are 245/40/R18, this gives an almost identical outside diameter to the originals. The wheels came with nearly new Bridgestone Potenza S001 tyres in this size, so I'm using them as is, although they are 30mm wider, so I do expect a slight drop in range. An alternative size for this wheel would be a 225/45/R18, tyre which is only 10mm wider than standard and still within 2% of the original rolling radius.

There are no clearance issues with this slightly wider wheel set up.

I've got to programme and install a set of Autel MX TPMS sensors, so the car will then recognise the wheels as the originals and I can revert to the original wheel set if desired without any further programming (In the event I sell the car at some future date)

The wheel centres are the original Audi caps with the 4 ring inserts unclipped, then this set of MG centres overlaid:

I'll post some pics in due course once they're fitted on to the car. Obviously I love them as I really like old school bright metallic silver wheels rather than the current trend for dark and/or diamond cut wheels, but wheel choice is, of course, deeply subjective!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I do like the looks of them wheels !.
Are them the actual wheels you have, they look in fantastic condition !.
I would love to see a picture of them fitted on your ZS when you are ready !.
I had the the Bridgestone’s on my previous GTE Golf.
It appears to be the standard fit for a 18” wheel and tyre combo on VAG’s.
I think they fit Pilot Sports on the 19” set up.
A lot of people ( included myself ) found the Bridgestone’s to be poor on traction and noisy unless on the very best tarmac !.
On the plus side, they do last well !.
They tend to have a harder compound, that’s maybe why people find them noisy.
I changed them out for Good Years after about four years and about 28,000 miles.
There was still a little mileage left in them, but the side walls had started to develop cracks on both sides.
This happened on all four tyres.
I had the wheels rotated in a front to back movement every 5,000 miles.
One because VW recommended it, plus I wanted them all off the car at the same time.
The difference in grip and road noise between the Bridgestone’s and the Good Years was night and day !.
I think the 18” will look really nice on the ZS !.
Don’t forget to drop us a photo please.

·
Journeyman Human
440 Posts
Yes, they are the actual wheels, they're pretty much in as new condition. I'll see how the tyres run, if they do turn out to be too noisy I might swap them for a different set later. I'll be sure to put up some pics once they're done :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts