Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car last week and don't know if I have to do anything with this sticking out label

20200916_124045_resized.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only to be used in the event of an accident by first responders. It is to let firefighters know where to cut the 'main' cable.
Thanks for that quick reply, can always rely on this forum!
Good job I didn't cut it :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't see that in my froot so is suspect for most folks it sits under the removable plastic panel that the washer fluid filler pokes through?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for that quick reply, can always rely on this forum!
Good job I didn't cut it :)
That definitely shouldn't be sticking out like that. As BruceH said, it should have been tucked under the plastic panel. You can do that yourself as that panel comes off with a bit of a pull. Something they missed in the quality control... like many other things.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm fairly sure it should be sticking out. The whole purpose is to show emergency staff where to isolate the battery. If you tuck it away it won't be apparent. It's been sticking out in all the Tesla's I've seen.
Probably less of an issue now as most fire crew are supposedly given info on how to isolate batteries, but I'll definitely not be tucking mine away out of sight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm fairly sure it should be sticking out. The whole purpose is to show emergency staff where to isolate the battery. If you tuck it away it won't be apparent. It's been sticking out in all the Tesla's I've seen.
Probably less of an issue now as most fire crew are supposedly given info on how to isolate batteries, but I'll definitely not be tucking mine away out of sight.
Are you sure? Mine doesn't stick out, and likewise, all the M3's that I've seen also don't have anything like that sticking out. But all the M3's that I've seen are 2020 models so perhaps they've changed it recently. In any case, I guess it doesn't matter either way then.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah that's my understanding too, it is supposed to be sticking out, maybe not quite as much as in that photo but a little bit should be visible at least.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It’s in your interest in having it stick out as much as possible, you want a firefighter to be able to instantly find the cutoff cable possibly in the dark. They may not be experienced with each specific type of EV so won’t necessarily know/remember which access panels to pull off.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts
In reality the firemen won’t have a clue what to do, and will just stand well back until the fire has gone out.

Bear in mind they have to open the bonnet to see the tag. If they got that far they probably know what they’re doing.

If you’re in a bad crash they cut the roof off to get you out. Then call someone who knows how to isolate these things - like a Tesla mechanic.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you’re in a bad crash they cut the roof off to get you out. Then call someone who knows how to isolate these things - like a Tesla mechanic.
I would expect them to isolate before cutting. If they didn't know how to isolate I expect them not to cut until after 'the call'.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Firemen do know what to do, if you're trapped in the car and they start chopping it up to get you out they'll need to find this and isolate the car. Disconnecting the 12V battery isn't enough on an EV.

My first Tesla went in to service without this showing and came out with it definitely visible like this.

I vaguely remember the owners group doing some familarisation support with the fire brigade so they could find their way around the car a few years ago and what was what.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There is also a second loop in the rear pilliar that can be cut with a reciprocating saw. Cutting either of the loops will deactivate the HV system and air bags. I am curious as to how cutting one of the loops differs from disconnecting the 12v battery - if at all, other than the ease and speed of cutting a loop.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Firemen do know what to do, if you're trapped in the car and they start chopping it up to get you out they'll need to find this and isolate the car.
I agree, I think some are not giving firefighters enough credit here, they are highly trained pros and have access to significant data that manufacturers provide, lots of info here First Responders | Tesla UK. IMHO it makes minimal difference if label is showing, I'll leave it tucked away where it is; if it was deemed a safety critical function then manufacturers would be fitting a much more easily identifiable bright orange access hatch or similar that couldn't possibly be missed.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts
I agree, I think some are not giving firefighters enough credit here, they are highly trained pros and have access to significant data that manufacturers provide, lots of info here First Responders | Tesla UK. IMHO it makes minimal difference if label is showing, I'll leave it tucked away where it is.
Happy to be proved wrong, but I doubt their training extends to every single make and model of EV.

In any case, in a significant accident the contractors will shut off the HV pack. Firefighters know where to cut and where not to. Manufacturers design their cars accordingly.

So yes, I don't think the presence of the label would make much difference.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that there's this much discussion, it's a tag under the bonnet ..... it's only purpose is to clearly identify the location of a safety feature. Surely the answer to "should it be hidden or not" is that there is no reason or disadvantage to it being visible, and there is a possible disadvantage in some circumstances (which may, or may not, only have a very slim chance of happening) to having it hidden. So leave it out.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that there's this much discussion, it's a tag under the bonnet ..... it's only purpose is to clearly identify the location of a safety feature. Surely the answer to "should it be hidden or not" is that there is no reason or disadvantage to it being visible, and there is a possible disadvantage in some circumstances (which may, or may not, only have a very slim chance of happening) to having it hidden. So leave it out.....
I think I agree

I would be surprised if as a matter of cause the fire brigade would not open the bonnet and if the label is not meant as a safety "here I am" label then why does it even exist and why is it brightly coloured? Seems a bit pointless having it if you have to removing pieces of plastic to find it. In the dark, they'd pop the bonnet, see the label, grab hold and start dismantling to get to what they need at the end of it. If I was in the car waiting to be cut free and it was a precursor to the jaws of life going into action, I'd want them to find it pretty fast. There's only upside to it being visible for them.

It's not even like it looks a mess, when the bonnet is shut you can't see it, it doesn't make a noise, just leave it as you find it, so no downside to it being visible unless you have some OCD and polish your wheel nuts every weekend..

·
Registered
131 Posts
In reality the firemen won’t have a clue what to do, and will just stand well back until the fire has gone out.

Bear in mind they have to open the bonnet to see the tag. If they got that far they probably know what they’re doing.

The FB WILL know what to do, where to cut and how to open the bonnet in an emergency. They also know there is a cut point in the side rear window to kill the power in the event of a roof chop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
For an S where they have the same label, in a front end collision where they cannot get access on the S the option is to open the rear passenger side door where inside there is a handy label attached just in front of the rear quarter about halfway down the arch with a Cut here sign showing Stihl saw image!, my preference would be pulling the label under the bonnet if at all possible and cutting the visible cable instead...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts