Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work has two sockets which they have badged up as EV charging and have bays reserved. I was a bit gutted when I had a look at them and this is what I saw. They don't look like a type 1 does anyone know what they are?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
My work has two sockets which they have badged up as EV charging and have bays reserved. I was a bit gutted when I had a look at them and this is what I saw. They don't look like a type 1 does anyone know what they are?
It looks like a commando, is the flap blue?

·
Registered
302 Posts
They are Blue commando sockets... likely 16amp.

You can get charge cables to allow you to charge at the full 16amp rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, can anyone reccomend one? I don't need super fast charging and would prefer not to spend £200 on it as I'm at work all day but would need to be weatherproof. In an underground car park but it can get a little wet.

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001IDS1UO?pc_redir=1412924517&robot_redir=1

I have found this, it its a bit cumbersome, just wondered if anyone had found anything which is neat. A trickle charge is fine, I'm usually there 9 hours (unfortunately).
Any good caravan shop will sell a lead that will fit the blue commando at one end and has a normal female single extension lead plug on the other. These are only any good if you are under cover, if not you will need a water proof socket.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If it's connected to the 3 pin EVSE then it would only be drawing about 10a, I can't see how there would be any danger of damage pulling a constant draw as long as fuse and any cabling is rated high enough.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If you are happy with the reduced charge time by using the EVSE buy one of these adapters, they should be less than £10. Should be fine as you said the socket is sheltered.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
You lucky thing! EV charging at work with no RFID cards needed. Don't be gutted, be jubilant!

What you have there is a IEC60309 IP67 240v single phase socket. As everyone else has said, it is probably 16amp but it might possibly be 32amp, depending how big your thumb is. That is the only thing in your picture for scale. The 16a and 32a plugs look identical but the 32a is physically bigger. Check before you buy your plug.

If you really want a weatherproof solution, you could get an IP67 plug and fit that to your brick INSTEAD of the 13a plug. This would generally be considered overkill. The IEC60309 standard requires that you can connect an IP44 plug to the IP67 socket, so all these caravan converters in the links above will do the job fine. Choose one that suits you.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-commando-interlocked-connector-2p-e-200-250v/77879

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60309

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Not if i was there all day, but if i might want to 'pop out' at lunchtime for example, the ability to get a full charge, drive 40 miles, then get a full charge again 'may' be useful.
If you can drive 40 miles at lunch time your lunch is too long:p in all seriousness I can see your point, its just some of the cables are so expensive most people will never get their monies worth from them:(

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If you can drive 40 miles at lunch time your lunch is too long:p in all seriousness I can see your point, its just some of the cables are so expensive most people will never get their monies worth from them:(
You are right, and I probably don't manage 40. More like 30-35 ;) but I could never describe my lunch break as too long !
I doubt many people ever get their money's worth from any additional cables, but I think the flexibility is where you win.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts