Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly mother is in the market for a new car and absolutely loves my MG. She is a nervous driver and does not like driving long distances. The range would be plenty for her, and a car with a larger range would be wasted on her. The only thing putting her off are the rubber charging bungs. She has arthritis in her fingers and finds it too much effort to remove the bungs. I have tried greasing the bungs, but she still finds it a struggle, as her eyesight is also not good. Not sure if anything could be done about this - wonder if something could be hacked to fit from another vehicle?

Alternatively, not sure which other electric cars have the best design for the charging cover? Are there any that you open the charging cover and they automatically retract to expose the contacts? She is willing to spend up to about 40k for a vehicle, but no more. But as I say, most of the features of a more expensive vehicle would be wasted on her.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The Leaf 2 40kW is easier to access the charge port.

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My elderly mother is in the market for a new car and absolutely loves my MG. She is a nervous driver and does not like driving long distances. The range would be plenty for her, and a car with a larger range would be wasted on her. The only thing putting her off are the rubber charging bungs. She has arthritis in her fingers and finds it too much effort to remove the bungs. I have tried greasing the bungs, but she still finds it a struggle, as her eyesight is also not good. Not sure if anything could be done about this - wonder if something could be hacked to fit from another vehicle?

Alternatively, not sure which other electric cars have the best design for the charging cover? Are there any that you open the charging cover and they automatically retract to expose the contacts? She is willing to spend up to about 40k for a vehicle, but no more. But as I say, most of the features of a more expensive vehicle would be wasted on her.
I'm wondering if the bungs could be dispensed with and their "keep the weather out" function achieved with squishy layers of bubble wrap glued to the inside of the charging cover, to obscure the charging ports when the cover is latched into place...
Might be worth experimenting.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,940 Posts
Yeah, The MG's port is definitely not ideal. Was nearly a deal breaker, but the overall package was what I wanted.

Zoe would be another car that has easy open flap for the charging. Could she make do with AC only?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Can you thread a length of ribbon/rope/string (whatever your Mum finds easier to hold and pull) through the bung so it can be “tugged” out of the socket?

Must be easier than trying to grad the small moulded handle/tag on the bung.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts

Is she looking at Chademo or CCS rapid charge vehicles. For Chademo, there are no bungs on the vehicle., so maybe a Leaf would suit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you really need the charging bung?

On a number of occasions I have forgotten, after putting the charging cable in the boot, to replace the bung and close the flap. It was pouring with rain on the journey home. My mistake caused no problems. I was thinking of just cutting it off as I also find it difficult at times to remove/ refit. You might have to clean dirt from the socket connector from time to time, however it would seem to me to be a dust cap.

I am sure MG would have tested the vehicle with no bung inserted, in view of the fact it can be easy for users to forget to replace it and close the flap in occasions.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
484 Posts
The MG 5 has a better arrangement with the opening flap, still has bungs though. Given the high currents flowing through I wouldn't want dirt in there, could be a risk of heating/overheating. I can't help but think that MG will improve the arrangement on the next version of the ZS. As Mike said, a second hand leaf might be just the thing, they are rated as being reliable.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
My elderly mother is in the market for a new car and absolutely loves my MG. She is a nervous driver and does not like driving long distances. The range would be plenty for her, and a car with a larger range would be wasted on her.
Would a second-hand Leaf suit her needs, with flaps with catches rather than bungs (or is she wanting a previously unloved car)?

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
644 Posts
Charging bungs are a really poor piece of design.

Makes me wonder why they didn’t fit the rubber to the charging flap like BMW do or put a door over with a rubber seal round the outside like the leaf.

maybe you could have something 3D printed with a rubber gasket round it that would stick onto the rear of the charging flap?

Has anyone just removed one and not bothered using it, once these cars get into the hands of the mass public those things are going to get binned!

Will that really break it? If it’s warrantied would you really care if it did?

just a thought, if they start having to replace lots of charging sockets under warranty will they just improve the design!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is she looking at Chademo or CCS rapid charge vehicles. For Chademo, there are no bungs on the vehicle., so maybe a Leaf would suit.
I think it would be good for her to have CCS, however in practice I think she will always charge from home. So yeah, the leaf could be a viable option.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zoe would be another car that has easy open flap for the charging. Could she make do with AC only?
I guess she probably could, as I think she will only ever charge from home. Although Zoe may be a little too small for her.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, The MG's port is definitely not ideal. Was nearly a deal breaker, but the overall package was what I wanted.
I do think it was a strange decision for MG, as for about £10 more they could have had a really well engineered design. Don't know why they would choose to skimp in this area.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I do think it was a strange decision for MG, as for about £10 more they could have had a really well engineered design. Don't know why they would choose to skimp in this area.
They have also not included a charge / departure timer in the software or remote preconditioning on an app, I think these were equally as glaring oversights!

These should be standard issues on all EV’s IMHO of course!

What were they thinking?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
If you are prepared to just do AC charging, the ID3 has the weather protection attached to the charging flap. You have to remove a bung to get at the CCS part of the socket, though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you are prepared to just do AC charging, the ID3 has the weather protection attached to the charging flap. You have to remove a bung to get at the CCS part of the socket, though.
Hmm curious that the e-tron’s charging socket doesn’t seem to suffer from this affliction though?

Why do you think VW find it totally acceptable to give you a crappy bit of rubber when you’ve “only spent 30k”

But when you’ve purchased an Audi they have engineered a solution??

Is this really acceptable?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was thinking the same for the ID 3 bit I am not so sure she would like many of the controls being in software menus and the current problems with the software. But something that does concern me I'd that you say her eyesight is not that good. He she can't see bungs very well can she read a number plate at 20m with the eyesight correction she uses whilst driving.?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
Hmm curious that the e-tron’s charging socket doesn’t seem to suffer from this affliction though?
View attachment 140304
Why do you think VW find it totally acceptable to give you a crappy bit of rubber when you’ve “only spent 30k”

But when you’ve purchased an Audi they have engineered a solution??

Is this really acceptable?
Well it's motorised! What else do you expect for twice the price.

Also an extra bit of electrics to go wrong. The VW solution is typical of them. Nicely made and practical.

Those who want the status (and have the money) will buy an Audi of course.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts