Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, looking at buying sometime soon, but I really need to know if internet hotspot/Bluetooth can be set to off all the time? (GPS on is ok). I know this will mean no updates, etc. If someone could let me know it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
Just don’t connect phone, phones via Bluetooth isn’t that the answer.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,632 Posts
Just don’t connect phone, phones via Bluetooth isn’t that the answer.
I think the OP is confusing things...hotspot/BT with the mobile connection of the eNiro.

But we will not know, until the OP grasps the differences.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for your replies. I mean both the internet hotspot and Bluetooth permanently off. Usually the Bluetooth is no problem, but can the hotspot be switched off too? Does it continually try to reconnect if you switch it off? Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
Hi, thanks for your replies. I mean both the internet hotspot and Bluetooth permanently off. Usually the Bluetooth is no problem, but can the hotspot be switched off too? Does it continually try to reconnect if you switch it off? Thanks
Do you mean the car cellular (mobile signal), which is used for UVO and Kia live services? If so why would you want to switch it off? And the answer afaik is you can’t.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
There is no Internet (WiFi) hot-spot in the KIA. The Bluetooth connection allows your phone to connect for calls & audio. You don't have to use this but it is illegal to use a phone without a hands free device.
The UVO (if fitted) & KIA Live services use a dedicated 4G SIM card, not your data plan.
This is prepaid for the first 7 years

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no Internet (WiFi) hot-spot in the KIA. The Bluetooth connection allows your phone to connect for calls & audio. You don't have to use this but it is illegal to use a phone without a hands free device.
The UVO (if fitted) & KIA Live services use a dedicated 4G SIM card, not your data plan.
This is prepaid for the first 7 years
Thanks for the detailed information. If the UVO is fitted, is there a way to remove this or turn it off?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mean the car cellular (mobile signal), which is used for UVO and Kia live services? If so why would you want to switch it off? And the answer afaik is you can’t.
Yes, do you mind telling me how you know it can't be switched off? Would a dealership maybe be able to deactivate it? It interferes with medical equipment. Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
What medical equipment? It does not interfere with pacemakers. The bluetooth is 2.4 GHz, and very low power, The cellullar part of the car does not transmit unless it is responding to a query, and I suppose it occasionally would transmit some status information, and gps position.

Can you indicate what medical equipment?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,780 Posts
If anything was going to interfere with medical equipment in an EV I would be far more worried about all the high voltage stuff and the rapid chargers, not low powered RF which you're around all the time in everyday life anyways.

(The electrics in the car aren't likely to interfere with medical equipment either, I'm just saying it's more likely than your concerns, and it seems like you're putting your worry in the wrong place)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the responses, but I am seeking an answer to: can this be switched off? In my current car, which is an e-Golf it can all be switched off or deactivated - just wondering if it's the same with the Niro because if not, the car will not work for us. Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,780 Posts
Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the responses, but I am seeking an answer to: can this be switched off? In my current car, which is an e-Golf it can all be switched off or deactivated - just wondering if it's the same with the Niro because if not, the car will not work for us. Thanks
In which case, the car will not work for your mysterious requirements I'm afraid. To my knowledge you can't totally disable this without getting destructive.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
I suspect the eGolf only allows you to disable the WiFi hotspot. I doubt if you can turn off telemetry, SOS system and satnav TMC.
The KIA doesn't have a WiFi hotspot so the 2 cars are probably very similar in their RF emissions.
Is it just WiFi you are worried about or mobile (4G/5G) comms too?
As someone else said the traction system will also generate EMF.
No properly designed devices will be affected by any of this background noise.
Any equipment that is susceptible is probably unsuitable for use outside a controlled environment!
I'm not an expert but hold a B.Sc in electronics engineering, have worked on Electro-Magnetic Compatibility and designed a foetal heart rate monitor many years ago...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,392 Posts
If the data connection truly interfered with recognised medical equipment, it would never have been certified for use.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Perhaps the OP believes they have an electro-sensitivity condition and wishes to reduce their exposure to RF to be as low as is reasonably practical.

Maybe not too unreasonable an idea in this era of uncontrolled transmissions. Reduce whatever RF you know and don't need, to reduce the overall dose. We have all seen instances of malfunction due to poor EMC design or blatant disregard for the standards leading to massive unwanted sidebands being transmitted. I have lit a six foot fluorescent tube in the street without any electrical connections due to an out off whack British Rail transformer. It happens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hadn't realised people would be so interested in the medical device. We are transporting a severe epileptic who is trialling a neurological device for a research study - so far experiencing very good results. We have been advised to limit electro radiation as much as possible - switching off all mobile phones, etc. in the vicinity. Our e-Golf does allow us to turn off all possible problem areas, including the SOS and we have checked this with an EMF reader to be sure. We are now looking for a car with a greater range so as not to use public transport, as the person cannot wear a face covering. Our preferred car will always be electric, so I was hoping someone on the eNiro forum might have been kind enough to check the settings on the car menu to see if this was possible, but I guess I was expecting too much...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not expecting too much, a nice explanation, just to the level of "trialling a new medical device and the manufacturer said to limit RF radiation"... would have quelled the mystery.

There are a lot of people that come on the forum with frankly, almost insane ideas, new laws of physics, etc.

I would suggest that any product for something like this should be IMMUNE to cell phone and bluetooth frequencies. My aunt has grand mal. I run a company that works with RF transmitters and receivers. I have a degree in Physics and Electrical engineering, and have worked in the RF field for some time, in cellular and micro cellular.

There are cell phones everywhere, and you will get more RF energy from a person walking by talking and transmitting at full power, than what is in the car. You must also realize that bluetooth is much lower power than a cell phone.

I would go back to the manufacturer and get some clarification, until then, I would protect this person by keeping people 12 feet away at all times, don't let people drive next to you with a cell phone. (note that this is an impractical situation).

You do not have to take my word for this, contact a real RF engineer, or contact a University to validate what I am saying. Any consumer product that cannot handle interference from a cell phone is actually illegal in the USA. Something smells funny... Limiting as much as possible sounds wrong, Limiting as much as practical makes sense, but immunity from cell phone radiation is a MUST.

Greg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts