Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am very interested in buying an EV. I last looked a great or so ago but now I am in a position to buy I am shocked by what seems like a dramatic rise in prices! My criteria is below - can I get what I need?!
  • budget ~£12k
  • twice weekly commute of 60 round trip (mostly rural A road with 30, 40, 50 and 60 mph limits
  • no charging at work
  • occasionally going slightly further afield but happy to charge out and about for this (day might be extended to 100 miles once a month but plenty of charging options when this happens
  • strong preference for battery owned Vs leased

I know I could get a Zoe but is the range of a22kw one sufficient? A Leaf looks possible too but would a 30kw get me to and from work reliably? How about a 2015ish Soul?

It's more complicated than I thought!

·
Registered
NiroEV “4”
1,916 Posts
What do you currrently run…and “if there was no such thing as an EV” …what would you buy for your 12k then?
That would give a snapshot of what you would like as opposed to what you need

And
Do you/ will you have the facility to install a proper EVSE ( chargepoint) at home or would you be reliant on a granny charger?

I think those questions are a good starting point

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. We will be installing whatever charging point we need to make it work.

We currently have a Civic Tourer which will be staying and a Citroen MPV which will be going. In terms of what I would replace the Citroen with, size doesn't really matter. I must be almost unique in having a strong preference for French cars (hence drawn to the Zoe). If there was no such thing as an EV, I'd want a small supermini focused on comfort and practically - C3, Jazz or maybe a small MPV type thing (hence the Soul is appealing too).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The blocker is the price, used car prices have soared and used EV prices are currently high. Go on Autotrader and see what you can get for your budget, there's EVs available but the selection is very limited.

If you don't need to change cars then I'd be inclined to wait and see what happens with used prices over the next 12 months, or look at the finance deals on new EVs.

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,773 Posts
  • budget ~£12k
  • twice weekly commute of 60 round trip (mostly rural A road with 30, 40, 50 and 60 mph limits)
size doesn't really matter
Would you condsider a 2-wheel BEV?

A brand new BMW CE-04 is just inside your budget and meets the range and speed requirements. You would need an A2 motorcycle license. It can be restriced to an A1/CBT but that cuts into the usable range. With the software restriction 60 miles would be marginal in winter.

There are some less expensive choices but they can't quite get to 60mph.

Zero S has been adjusted to only need an A1 or CBT. It has pleanty of range and a top speed over 70mph but it is out of budget.

There are others on the way. Maybe not in your timeframe.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi. I am very interested in buying an EV. I last looked a great or so ago but now I am in a position to buy I am shocked by what seems like a dramatic rise in prices! My criteria is below - can I get what I need?!
  • budget ~£12k
  • twice weekly commute of 60 round trip (mostly rural A road with 30, 40, 50 and 60 mph limits
  • no charging at work
  • occasionally going slightly further afield but happy to charge out and about for this (day might be extended to 100 miles once a month but plenty of charging options when this happens

I know I could get a Zoe but is the range of a22kw one sufficient? A Leaf looks possible too but would a 30kw get me to and from work reliably? How about a 2015ish Soul?

Frankly £12k doesn't get you a decent BEV of any description.

If you lived 10 miles from work and never drover further than 30-miles from your house, one of the early LEAFs would do the job. However a very old and battery-degraded LEAF just cannot be relied upon to do a 60-mile round trip in winter.

A Golf PHEV is in budget and comes with fewer compromises and no range anxiety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you condsider a 2-wheel BEV?

A brand new BMW CE-04 is just inside your budget and meets the range and speed requirements. You would need an A2 motorcycle license. It can be restriced to an A1/CBT but that cuts into the usable range. With the software restriction 60 miles would be marginal in winter.

There are some less expensive choices but they can't quite get to 60mph.

Zero S has been adjusted to only need an A1 or CBT. It has pleanty of range and a top speed over 70mph but it is out of budget.

There are others on the way. Maybe not in your timeframe.
I had no idea such a thing existed and I do actually have a full bike licence. It looks amazing! I think the bike may be a step too far for my wife though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frankly £12k doesn't get you a decent BEV of any description.

If you lived 10 miles from work and never drover further than 30-miles from your house, one of the early LEAFs would do the job. However a very old and battery-degraded LEAF just cannot be relied upon to do a 60-mile round trip in winter.

A Golf PHEV is in budget and comes with fewer compromises and no range anxiety.
Thanks. That's what I've come to realise - it's just a surprise to see prices. I think our best option is to wait for a while and try to stretch the budget as much as possible

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
As others have said, that budget is borderline at the moment. Make sure you budget for running costs and charge point installation. Running costs will be lower than for an equivalent ICE, especially once you get the charge point so can charge from home -- does that help?

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
1,263 Posts
Any option of putting that 12k towards a car and getting a loan for the rest? Eg 12k down, 8k loan. Monthly would only be £200 ish and a lot of that would be saved in fuel.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thanks. That's what I've come to realise - it's just a surprise to see prices. I think our best option is to wait for a while and try to stretch the budget as much as possible
Seriously go try a Golf PHEV!

It is: in-budget, really nice to drive, and the 25-ish mile electric range is more useful than you might think. Quite often ours is used on 10-20 mile errands several times a day with charging in between. Ours has gone up in value since we bought it (no idea if that'll continue...).

Revisit the BEV idea in a few years when you'll (hopefully) have a bit more money to spend and will be able to get a real 200-mile BEV that will fit all your needs comfortably.

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,773 Posts
I had no idea such a thing existed and I do actually have a full bike licence. It looks amazing! I think the bike may be a step too far for my wife though.
It is also the least expensive brand new made in Germany BMW.

·
Registered
369 Posts
See also this recent thread where someone with a daily 50/60-mile commute and a similar budget considers a 30kWh leaf. Perhaps you can compare notes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
One downside of the leaf is that most come with only a 3kW charger, so if you want to recharge at home using Octopus Go (a popular tariff that gives 4 hours cheap electricity overnight), you might only get say 40 miles of range in 4 hours. For a daily commute, that might have be a problem, but if it's only twice a week, that should be fine. (Of course you can still charge for longer, and the averaged price would still be pretty good.)

Cars with a 6kW charger are available (it was an optional extra at purchase time), and/or "Octopus Go Faster" gives 5 hours rather than 4. Other electric tariffs are also available, of course.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,769 Posts
  • budget ~£12k
  • no charging at work

The problem is that you won't be able to afford any repairs if said car goes wrong, and you are unlikely to be able to afford an EV with a warranty.

What about using your money to lease a new one?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Someone was flogging a fluence.

If you also get a battery based emergency charger thing that would come in at maybe less than 1500 just so you can do a bit of a top up at work.

Unsure what the winter range would be but a few people drive them if more info is wanted.

Gaz

1 - 20 of 34 Posts