Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that I can plug my iPace, or my wive's Leaf into a Tesla Destination charger - Type 2 Socket.
Can I?

I'm scared to try. But then surely all these cars have circuits that can test what's about to come in and lock out anything harmful?

Some are AC some DC - then there are different cables and millions of different providers! It's very confusing.
If the cable physically fits - can I just plug in and see if it works?

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,583 Posts
Most Tesla destination chargers are Tesla only. The cable will fit but your car will not start a charge. They are marked with a Ted Tesla sign.

The white ones are supposed to work with any Type-2 EV. That includes your iPace and the current LEAF.

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,583 Posts
If the cable physically fits - can I just plug in and see if it works?
Yes, but it may not be the best choice. Most Tesla chargers will recognise the car isn't a Tesla and not charge. See above.

For Rapid charging the iPace, Always use the CCS connector. For LEAF always use CHAdeMO. The Type-2 connector at a rapid will work but only at a slow speed.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The general rule is, if the plug fits neatly in the car socket, you aren't going to do any damage but you might not charge either as above.

It's a bit like trying to fit your electric shaver into a domestic three pin socket or shoving your apple lightning cable into a USB port or plugging a 230v UK TV into an American 110v socket. They're made not to fit for a reason ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.