Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be staying at a small caravan park that doesn’t have ev charger. Site has a couple of dozen mobile homes, one of which we are staying in. Car will be parked next to the home. It would be great if I could plug it in to the mobile home electrics overnight using my granny charger.

I don’t want to trip any fuses or damage any electrics in the mobile home or in the wider site.

Would it be best to plug the granny charger into a 3 pin socket inside the mobile home or rather use the granny charger adapter to plug directly into the caravan/commando style ‘hook up’ that most mobile homes have for each pitch?

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
Yes, but I found that even a 10 Amp granny charger can trip the system on a caravan site.

If they are supplying mobile homes then maybe they have put in 16 amp breakers?

I take it you can't dial the power down on your EVSE or car?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mobile home we are staying in has electric heating so it should be able to take a few amps.

I honestly don’t know if i can dial down the amps on the charger or on an in car setting (Audi Etron 55). I don’t remember reading anything in the manual on this. If I could that would be perfect even if it meant charging over two or three nights rather than on one single day.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The mobile home we are staying in has electric heating so it should be able to take a few amps.

I honestly don’t know if i can dial down the amps on the charger or on an in car setting (Audi Etron 55). I don’t remember reading anything in the manual on this. If I could that would be perfect even if it meant charging over two or three nights rather than on one single day.
On the Golf GTE you can set the charging current using the WeConnect app or 'eManager' in the car to 6A, 10A, 13A or max - I would assume other VAG cars have similar

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've visited some camp sites that have regular 16A sockets, but each protected by an RCBO that was only 6A. Needless to say, that's not going to work. Most caravan sites allocate 16A to each plot's hookup, so don't expect to be able to charge your car and put the kettle on without tripping your local hookup breaker, even if you can dial the maximum current draw down to 6A on your car.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
We made a day trip to family staying on a new site, with a brand new static van In Harlech a few weeks ago.
The plot next door, was empty awaiting delivery of another new van.
I wanted to take a small top up on the battery on the ZS EV.
I had packed the unused MG supplied “Granny” lead just in case.
I check the power supply breaker switch on the vacant pitch, but the breaker did not show any sign of its rating.
Strangely enough, the box etc was supplied by Rolec of all people !.
You are unable to regulate the rate at which the ZS EV chargers at, so I waited until non of the electrics in the van was being used and plugged into a regular 3 pin outlet just by the door.
I only had the car on charge for about 1 hour and everything was fine !.
I had made up an extension lead for the trip, just in case.
I fitted it with a MK heavy duty three pin plug and a IP65 rated external socket.
Connected by good length of 2.5mm cable.
After seeing the set up at the van, maybe fitting the blue 240 Volt plug may have been a better idea ?.
There was only one outlet on the Rolec box, so charging from this outlet would have resulted in the van getting no juice !.
It was a new site, with brand new vans.
I guess the electric supply and breakers etc would have been at top spec’s, given the age of both items.
I was concerned about plugging into a family members brand new van of course.
Not sure if it would have been alright plugged in over night though !.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I charged the car overnight from a hotel room with an extension lead. No difference really to a mobile home. 10 amps shouldn't do any harm but probably best not to use the electric heating or oven/hob at the same time. If you charge from the bollard you will have to go without power to the home for several hours.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
349 Posts
I was in the same situation last week. As a precaution I took the granny charger from my wife's smart ForTwo electric Drive which has a variable charge rate, and used this to charge my MG ZS EV. I connected the charger using a 2.5 mm caravan hook up lead with appropriate adaptors. I plugged into a 13a socket in the static caravan. the charge went OK, albeit a bit on the slow side. The plug top warmed up but didn't increase. That was the good news. The bad news was the site reported me to the caravan's owner who asked me not to charge as it would increase their electric bill.
I think the site charged owners a high price for the electric, so when next I needed a charge I found an alternative.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The bad news was the site reported me to the caravan's owner who asked me not to charge as it would increase their electric bill.
It's good that they are protecting their owners correctly.
But surely they would not mind if you offered to cross their palm's with some silver coins of the realm ?.
Maybe the site should consider installing a wall box themselves instead ?.
This might just increase the popularity of the site to any EV customers.
No forward thinking applied here by them may I suggest ?.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
164 Posts
I charged recently at a well known "large" caravan site. The van had a 32amp supply, and looking at the CU it was split 20A for mains, and 6A for lightling. So I just charged overnight (only needed around 50% charge) and made sure I didn't put the kettle / toaster / microwave on before it had finished charging.
My charger is 10A but can drop to 8A and 6A if necessary, so if you have that option that could work. Mine has a rubber button on the bottom of the charge brick which you select, but select it before you plug it into the car as you you can't change it. If it has a display on it then it should cycle between the different Amp ratings. Bear in mind though that 6A charge of an E-Tron will take quite some time (a couple of days for a full charge)
If the van has electric heating (assume a small electric fire in the lounge) then this must be more than 10A so you should be fine as long as you don't have the heating on at the same time as charging.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m unsure if I can turn the Amos down on my granny charger. I’ll check once I get home.

However, based on what I’ve heard from others devious experiences I’ve decided that this should only be my Plan ‘C’. Reasons being: i) if I were to blow the fuses or worse still dammage the electrics I would feel awful as the van is being lent to us by a friend ii) we are paying next to nothing for the van rental and while I would compensate the owner for the extra electricity I would hate the situation in which the site manager spotted us and tipped off the owner (our friend) before I had spoken and paid for the extra juice.

Instead, if I need to use it, I’ll first ask the site managers permission and advice. It may well result in being told ‘No’ but I’ll take it on the chin.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m unsure if I can turn the Amos down on my granny charger. I’ll check once I get home.

However, based on what I’ve heard from others devious experiences I’ve decided that this should only be my Plan ‘C’. Reasons being: i) if I were to blow the fuses or worse still dammage the electrics I would feel awful as the van is being lent to us by a friend ii) we are paying next to nothing for the van rental and while I would compensate the owner for the extra electricity I would hate the situation in which the site manager spotted us and tipped off the owner (our friend) before I had spoken and paid for the extra juice.

Instead, if I need to use it, I’ll first ask the site managers permission and advice. It may well result in being told ‘No’ but I’ll take it on the chin.
I am unable to regulate the charge either on my MG supplied “Granny” unit, or in the settings in the car itself.
You are right to be concerned over fears over blowing the fuse in your friends van !.
I found myself in the same position only 2 weeks ago.
The charging infrastructure in mid Wales is not the greatest to say the least.
The journey to Harlech and back was our first longest trip on a single charge.
On paper, we should been able to complete the trip there and back on a single charge, but with only about 25 miles of range to spare.
For seasoned EV drivers this is plenty, but for our first trip I did not want it to end in a disaster.
So, I just plugging into the van for about 1 hour to give us a bit more wiggle room.
We arrived home not really needing the few miles we picked up at the van, but it was just a comfort thing really.
I don’t think I would be prepared to leave the car charging over night on the “Granny” unit though ?.
It was a brand new small site of only about 10 brand new static vans.
All of the electrical points where extremely new and therefore I considered they had been installed with the latest regs and load requirements of a new van with all the mod con’s that people expect these days !.
I was fairly confident that plugging the car into the van for an hour was safe to do so.
I maybe a little concerned plugging into a supply that was a few years old maybe ??.
Better safe than sorry I guess !.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We provide a 16A plug to weatherproof 13A socket adaptor following customer requests for a cable for campsites, in case it is of interest

Standalone EV travel adaptors (compatible with all EVs)

Whilst the socket is 16A, some campsites do seem to use a smaller 10A circuit breaker. You can easily tell the rating of the MCB (circuit breaker) by looking at what's printed on the front of it. B16 or C16 would be 16A, and B10 or C10 would be 10A etc. Plugging directly into the campsite socket at least avoids the caravan wiring being in the loop.

Adrian (Proprietor, Tough Leads)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts