Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to the more experienced but I'm not familiar with either of these types of outlets and just wanted to know if you're actually able to charge your EV from either?

I guess they have a specific type of name!

Thanks, ian

P.S I have a mk2 Leaf

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Apologies to the more experienced but I'm not familiar with either of these types of plugs and just wanted to know if you're actually able to charge your EV from either?
You should be able to charge from both. The red is a 3 Phase "commando" and you should have 230V from any phase to neutral. Looking at the size it's probably a 16A version although it could possibly be 32A.

The blue is a single phase 230V "commando" and almost certainly 16A.

You'll need an adapter that allows you to plug your 'brick' EVSE into them and your car will then charge at 10A.

Alternatively, you can build/buy a portable EVSE for 16A or 32A charging. Something like the EVSE we built in @Grant Thomas garage :)

I would recommend you get an electrician to check out these connectors and any proposed adaptor before using.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification Kevin

I will checkout your video when I'm back home.

I will look into the adapter option for my EVSE brick.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Kevin is advocating a duplicate EVSE - which is not required if you have a brick.
I have a 2 fly-leads that connect to the Mitsu 'brick' - one for the 16amp Commando (Caravan pros and in goos yards with elec fork-lifts) + on with the Schuko end for public charging in France.
Both have 'saved the day', when there was no alternative!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have a brick, can you recommend a site for said review/purchase of the fly-lead that connects to the 16amp commando.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As it happens I've just bought a blue commando plug to 3 pin socket adaptor from my local camping/caravanning store. I was in there for something else and just spotted them and thought, that'll be useful for if I ever need to charge the Leaf from a commando socket. It was £6.50.

(In case you didn't realise, commando plugs and sockets are the standard way for hooking up caravans and campervans to the mains.)

That gives me another thought: there are electric hookups at pretty much all campsites. Nissan have just launched the e-NV200 electric van ... what about an electric campervan!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Thanks. I have a brick, can you recommend a site for said review/purchase of the fly-lead that connects to the 16amp commando.
I bought mine from Radio Spares (Online, or nr LHR)! Do ask for heavy duty sockets and use correct cable. Camping shop may be fine - but quality of connections might be unknown?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought mine from Radio Spares (Online, or nr LHR)! Do ask for heavy duty sockets and use correct cable. Camping shop may be fine - but quality of connections might be unknown?
Hmmm... maybe I haven't thought this through. I was just thinking "in case of emergency". Although the man in the shop said it would be fine at 10 amps.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hmmm... maybe I haven't thought this through. I was just thinking "in case of emergency". Although the man in the shop said it would be fine at 10 amps.
You don't want something that is just "fine at 10A". You want something that is rated for a continuous 10A... or 13A is even better.

Just "fine" at 10A means to me occasional and for short periods. A EV will use 10A continuously and for many hours, may be 10 or 12 hours, at a time even when used in an emergency and so it needs to be fully rated for continuous use.

This is very important.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You don't want something that is just "fine at 10A". You want something that is rated for a continuous 10A... or 13A is even better.

Just "fine" at 10A means to me occasional and for short periods. A EV will use 10A continuously and for many hours, may be 10 or 12 hours, at a time even when used in an emergency and so it needs to be fully rated for continuous use.

This is very important.
Like I say, it was a spur of the moment decision to buy it and maybe I should have thought it through a bit more. I do understand your point about continuous use. Anyway, as the EVSE hasn't even come out of it's bubble wrap yet I don't expect to be using it any time soon and I'm not going to loose any sleep over it at the moment.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Fully understood Roger. :)

But I felt had to make the point clearly for others reading. Sorry if you thought I was being a bit bossy... I really wasn't :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fully understood Roger. :)

But I felt had to make the point clearly for others reading. Sorry if you thought I was being a bit bossy... I really wasn't :)
No problem, I totally agree about making the point clearly. In fact I was feeling a bit silly about not thinking that I would need to be sure the adaptor was rated at 10A continuous in the first place.

If I also came over as a bit stroppy in my previous reply then sorry about that as well, it wasn't intentional. Communicating by text only isn't ideal is it?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
No. It is very easy to think someone is being short or stroppy when perhaps they are just typing on their phone, on a bumpy train and they just want to make the post as short as poss!!!

Anyway, please don't feel silly! That is exactly what the forum is about. We are all just interested in EVs (some owners, some not) and we all just want to learn more and enjoy it all so please... ask all the questions you want :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Anyway, please don't feel silly! That is exactly what the forum is about. We are all just interested in EVs (some owners, some not) and we all just want to learn more and enjoy it all so please... ask all the questions you want :)
Yes, but I've got a physics degree. I should be up to speed with this stuff. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts