Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me & the GF are off to see Stewart Lee at the Colston Hall on Thursday night.

Whilst being confident I could make the round trip on a single charge, it would have been marginal, especially given the weather. So I had a look for some charging points near the venue on the polar chargemaster website.

Just around the corner from the venue is Trenchard Street car park, listed as having charge points. It's run by Bristol City council, So I sent them an email:

Hi,

According to the polar chargemaster website, your Trenchard Street car park has electric vehicle charging?

If this is the case, is it possible to reserve a charging space? A simple cone to put other drivers off parking there would suffice.

We'll be attending a gig at Colston hall on thursday the 6th, coming from Cardiff, and we'd like to bring our electric car (Nissan Leaf, reg AV13 KLK).

Ideally we'd like to reserve the type2 socket?

Cheers

Craig
And the reply yesterday morning:

Hi Craig

Our charging points are located on Level 1, the car park’s lowest level – best access via the Trenchard Street entrance.

There are 8 charging bays – 4 twin charging points, each having both a 13amp and a Type 2 socket. There are two bays coned off at all times and I’ll arrange for a third to be coned off as well in case of extra demand

Control Room – please can you arrange for the car park staff to cone off a third charging point on Thursday morning

Many thanks

Roger
NCP: take note. This is how it's done. WELL DONE BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
That is really good, Milton Keynes Council don't do anything to protect, or even activate, or have fixed the many various EV chargers we have around town. I'd rather have three and know they'll be working and free than hundreds and have to assume they wont!

Brilliant work by Bristol City Council! :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is superb! Well done to Bristol City Council.

Be warned though of using the NCP car Parks in Bristol. I tried to use one a couple of months ago and I couldn't charge.. half the pods were red and the other half ICEd. I now always try to charge at Cabot Circus now as it is pretty much guaranteed to be working. The only problem there is that it is 13A sockets only so a slow charge.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
I've used that car park a few times. Never been ICEd. However the Bristol scheme is run by CYC so you need their card, even though the equipment there is Chargemaster.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used that car park a few times. Never been ICEd. However the Bristol scheme is run by CYC so you need their card, even though the equipment there is Chargemaster.
My chargemaster/polar card worked with the source west points in the millennium '@' underground car park... do you think it'll be the same for those points?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Polar chargemaster cards do not work at these points but if you join source west they are giving away the first 300 cyc cards free.
Geoff

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does this card policy apply to all Polar charging posts in Bristol? If this is so it means a random visitor to the town with a Polar Card will not be able to charge!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Polar chargemaster cards do not work at these points but if you join source west they are giving away the first 300 cyc cards free.
Geoff
Free? Now you tell me. I've just forked out a tenner so I can use the ones in Manchester and try to recoup some of my Type 2 cable layout. Boo Hoo.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... best laid plans etc.

We arrived at the charging spaces which were coned off. Good start. Another leafer was already there and slightly panicked because he couldn't get the charger started. He only had an ecotricity card. I thought I'd have better luck with my polar card... but as predicted, no.

I should have planned further ahead & ordered my cyc card earlier. I only ordered it Tuesday.

We could have left the car park with 70% or more (arrived with 35%) but instead we're sat in Severn view services, using the ecotricity rapid. We were at the gig for 3 hours. What a waste!

Ecotricity saves the day again :)

Oh, and I'd like to offer a raised middle finger to the extremely rude staff in the bp garage here, who assumed my gf & I were gypsies because we wanted to buy peanuts without a car parked by a pump, and the hoods on our coats were up. They refused to serve us.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another leafer was already there and slightly panicked because he couldn't get the charger started. He only had an ecotricity card. I thought I'd have better luck with my polar card... but as predicted, no.

I should have planned further ahead & ordered my cyc card earlier. I only ordered it Tuesday.
That's quite a confusing situation with the card requirement for this charger. In theory this point shouldn't be shown on the chargemaster map ?

I'm just trying to work out which cards to order, it's probably a topic for another thread.

Good that your back-up plan saved the day though. Do you always have a 2nd point 'in reserve' for every long distance trip you make ?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's quite a confusing situation with the card requirement for this charger. In theory this point shouldn't be shown on the chargemaster map ?

I'm just trying to work out which cards to order, it's probably a topic for another thread.

Good that your back-up plan saved the day though. Do you always have a 2nd point 'in reserve' for every long distance trip you make ?
Yep. Always have a back up plan and drive for the worst case scenario. Mine involved maximizing the SOC on arrival at the venue just in case we couldn't charge for any reason. Ideally we should have left Cardiff an hour or so earlier & made use of the rapid charger at IKEA on the way to the venue, but I have a wonderful woman in my life that likes to faff about; as it was, we barely made it to the venue on time due to the horrendous Bristol city centre traffic.

In the end, it only really cost us 30 minutes (10 minutes diversion over the old bridge, 20 mins charging).

The card situation is a total faff. if I were you I'd just order all of them :p

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a shame. And as for the BP staff, inexcusable. Still BCC did their best given the short notice I guess.
I don't hold Bristol City council responsible for the silly RFID-card dependent charge network debacle. They did their best - 8 spaces coned off in a very busy car park has to be applauded :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't hold Bristol City council responsible for the silly RFID-card dependent charge network debacle. They did their best - 8 spaces coned off in a very busy car park has to be applauded :)
No applause from me. If I travel to Bristol tomorrow from Bedfordshire I can't use any of the eight chargers! Am I supposed to have a specific card for every city I might visit?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
No applause from me. If I travel to Bristol tomorrow from Bedfordshire I can't use any of the eight chargers! Am I supposed to have a specific card for every city I might visit?
It's poor, but it seems because it was a case of UK Gov throwing cash up in the air and providers fighting amongst themselves for it as it landed, that yes, often you'll need different cards just to cross borders. :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts