Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner is looking to move to a PHEV from their current diesel. Hooray!

I have a Zoe and they've been impressed but still want a petrol engine as a back up for long journeys.

Daily commute is 14 miles with the bulk of this on dual carriageway.

Looks like the car can do the 14 miles with the current battery size but I can see some reviews on YouTube suggesting the car auto kicks in to hybrid mode. These may be older reviews and I don't know if there has been a software update.

My question is can you run this vehicle in pure electric mode which would suit the daily commute. For longer journeys my partner would prefer to switch to hybrid mode or even full petrol mode.

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,551 Posts
Yes PHEV actually starts on battery only when you set off. As long as you dont accelerate to hard it will stay in electric. If you do accelerate to hard and the engine starts you can just press the EV button and stay on battery only. You should manage 20 miles on electric only and if on longer journeys its worth starting in electric and switching to petrol out of town and then back to battery when you get closer to your destination. This improves economy and of course helps with town polution. They are great cars but lack acceleration if thats your thing. Achieving 55mpg on petrol is easy, and of course anything under 20 miles a day is on electric for next to nothing.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
483 Posts
I had a similar usage case when I had mine and it was great for that. I would normally get near 20 miles in full EV mode without having to drive like a vicar either. Shame the recharge whilst driving was so bad otherwise I would still have it over my GTE which is a bit better covering journeys, but lacks the space of the Niro.

If they can charge at place of work then you will save a shed load on fuel, I know I did and still do but my car is now just a weekend car as I have a work van for weekdays.

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts