Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car arriving next week, but the charging point is a few weeks away from being installed. It will be an untethered Easee charge point (I only have this choice or a chargemaster point)

I am planning to order the type 2 to type 2 OHME cable to take advantage of the Octopus tariffs.

I do have an outside 16A commando socket, so can I temporarily remove the Type 2 plug on the OHME cable and replace it with a 16A commando plug? I can set the OHME cable to reduce down the current. When the charge point is installed I can replace the commando plug with the Type 2 plug.
Cheers,

A

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
No

The type 2 ohme will expect signals on the cable before it will work.
Get a cheap 16a unit off ebay and wire a commando plug to it or if the car has a granny lead use a 3pin to commando converter.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure but would not want to try it. The Ohme unit comes in many guises and I would not be so confident that they have changed it to do anything more than repeat the messages from the car through to the charge point whilst sending their own message regarding the capability of the unit over the top of it.
It's worth considering public charging in the interim - it is more costly but if it is only for a very short period it may be the least expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts